Project Ugly Duckling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CycloSteve

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I finally found my "project" truck. Based on it's current condition, I have dubbed it the Ugly Duckling. It is FJ4523365, and is registered as a 1967, though the SOR site lists that VIN as a May 1965 build date.

Hiding beneath the veneer of primer and odd-mods (tube frame rear end) is actually a very clean cab, and most of the bits and pieces. The only original "major" part that I am missing is a bed.

The truck has been with Scott at Eco-Offroad for some time, and comes with an uncut frame, and a clean title. I just happened to troll through the old classifieds, and contacted Scott.

Plans so far are to get the rig to Georg at Valley Hybrids to start the tear-down and rebuild sometime in July. The long-term goal is to secure either a 1HD-T or 1HZ (add a turbo) with a five speed gear box. Currently it has a 2F with a 3 speed/3 speed t-Case. Beyond the diesel swap, will likely be upgrading brakes and driveline so that the truck is capable of decent trail runs, and possibly the Rubicon (if I decide to bob the frame, and add a tray). Nothing too extreme, but setup as functional and tough enough for a bit of abuse.

Since my 80 is essentially all "done" with the expo-build, this project will be fun indeed and burn my weekends once back in my hands.

Here are a few shots of how she looks today. Let the build begin.

UPDATE - Since most of the links to pictures have broken with the new version of Mud, here are the original albums.

Project "Ugly Duckling" FJ45 LWB - The Beginning

Project "Ugly Duckling" FJ45 LWB - The Build

Project "Ugly Duckling" FJ45 LWB - The Build II

Project "Ugly Duckling" FJ45 LWB - The Build III

Project "Ugly Duckling" FJ45 LWB - The Build IV

:cheers:

Steve

Last edited:
Looks like fun. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

thought I recognized the back ground in picture #1.. My 45 was parked very close to that exact same spot when I purchased it from Scott

Please consider me your dumping ground of all removed parts

Last edited:
In2, you got a great deal on your 45 from Scott for sure. Not sure of any spare bits at this time, as I am likely going to be in collecting mode for some time...anyone have a spare LWB bed they can part with? Ha, ha.

Steve

Engine and Transmission Sourced

So, a little bit of an update here as I have my motor and transmission sourced. Going for a one-of-a-kind setup for sure.

• H55F and related bits have arrived at Valley Hybrids - Thanks Onur
  • 1HD-FT flywheel expected sometime in the next week - Thanks Akella
  • 1HD-FT motor expected sometime in the next week - Thanks Cruzerhead...yes 24 valves of Toyota Turbo-Diesel Power!
  • Cab is currently being moved to the new frame - should arrive sometime in July - Thanks EcoOffroad
Just a little bit of Cruiser Pron for those who are wondering...

picture.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Is it bad that I can look at this picture and know PRECISELY where it was taken? :grinpimp: At first I was going to accuse you of stealing someone's keyboard...

Your plans are not too far from my (stagnant) 45 project....

Glad to see a 1HD-FT going into a 45 LWB! Sounds like a fantastic idea to me!

Dan

Minor update...HJ60 Full Floater axle on its' way west, and the H55F and splitcase with AA 4:1 gears have been brought together.

Cruiser pron and Georg's artistry at its' best...

picture.php

Axle needs some cleaning up on the outside, but with only 109,000km it is new inside.

picture.php

Next on deck, axles and motor refresh.

Steve

Last edited:
just stumbled onto your thread scott. don, mark and myself can't wait to get started on your 45. going to be a fun project! :grinpimp:

georg

just stumbled onto your thread scott. don, mark and myself can't wait to get started on your 45. going to be a fun project! :grinpimp:

georg

Guess we need to get the actual "truck" into your hands soon so the ever-growing pile o' parts has a home. :hillbilly:

Steve

Look what arrived at the shop today. Met up with Scott and Georg for the handoff of the chassis and cab and start the next phase in the project. Parts gathering is winding down, while fabrication and buildup commences.

picture.php

Complete with power steering, courtesy of the forklift, and plywood flatbed. :grinpimp:

picture.php

Hmm, I think we need to double-check the electrical...gotta love PO's :hillbilly:

picture.php

At least everything is there, and actually will have some original bits which will be selling on, as going with a number of upgrades, and have a few spares.

picture.php

Next stop, tear it all apart and start building up. Georg has his work cut out for him.

Steve

I took the bed to get blasted earlier this week. Luckily I had just the "right" rig to transport it at the shop. Thanks to my buddy Bill C.
image-3779114408.jpg

Spent part of my day off up at Valley Hybrids going through design ideas with Georg and Don. Have a good gameplan now...just waiting for some space in the shop and on the schedule.

Picked up this beauty on my way home from Finnyfam60. A fully restored 8274, complete with an Awl_Teq control box.

picture.php

Steve

Two more items made it in just before the holidays...

One of Kevin's Tailgates :p

picture.php

Custom Plates :grinpimp:

picture.php

The truck heads into the production mode after the New Year! :bounce:

Steve

subscribed.
That powerplant is going to be really nice.
I have yet to drive a 1hd-ft, but i know the performance potential is huge with one.
Cheers!

Haven't seen that truck in a while...it used to live here in Boise, Id. This is the last time I saw it on the road, circa 2002.

You gonna keep the Shred The Rad sticker?
shredtherad45.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom