Builds Roma's 78 fj40 gets a refurb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now here is where I ran into a bit of a problem, the pilgrim tub had welded captive nuts for the upper hinge of the spare tire carrier. So I figure bolt the carrier on and mark the holes for the lower hinge and drill them out. Well not so ease apparently the holes and captive nuts are roughly an inch too low which places the lower hinge below the tub.

IMAG0897.jpg

IMAG0896.jpg

Soo off with the captive nuts, welded the four holes back up and grinded smooth. Positioned the tire carrier, marked, drilled new holes and welded new captive nuts.

IMAG0898.jpg

IMAG0899.jpg

IMAG0900.jpg

IMAG0901.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if it's for the later tube style carrier?

I wonder if it's for the later tube style carrier?

Mine is the later style tube carrier. I even test fit a spare old style carrier I had laying around even though the tub has captive nut provisions in the rear sill for the tube style carrier latch assembly. Old style carrier not only didn't fit but also noticed that upper hinge bolt spacing is taller on newer carrier as opposed to older. Lower hinge location and dimensions are equal between the two.

Last edited:
Aussie long range fuel tank installed which should make my road trips a bit more enjoyable. I also have a spare 23gal auxiliary tank laying around I contemplated about installing as well but do I really need 50+ gallons and 1000+ miles of range?

IMAG0902.jpg

IMAG0903.jpg

While the tub is at the powder coater I went to work on putting the tire carrier together. I had disassembled the hinges when I had it powder coated because the plastic bushings where all but gone. A few quick measurements and a run to tractor supply I found some oil lyte bushings that fit the carrier perfectly and have a 5/8 inner diameter. The bushing is made out of porous brass and impregnated with oil so its actually self oiling. Next I ordered some 5/8 stainless bar stock and had my friend tig weld some thick stainless flat washers to the ends. Essentially making two pins.

IMAG0925.jpg

IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0922.jpg

IMAG0920.jpg

IMAG0919.jpg

IMAG0917.jpg

Pins cut to length.

IMAG0926.jpg

IMAG0927.jpg

And finally pressed together. Assembled with all stainless hardware.

IMAG0928.jpg

Last edited:
Current state of the frame.

IMAG0931.jpg

Have to finish removing the pass shock tower and installing matching ford tower.
Rear spring hangers are rotten and PO did a number on the rear cross member. I have a replacement rear frame section I picked up from classic cruisers. As soon as those two things are done off to the blaster. Still trying to decide weather to galvanize powder coat or both. If I galvanize and don't powder coat I would still want a black finish so maybe paint? I can get galvanizing done for $50 for 100lbs so I'm thinking 150 bucks. Thoughts on this? I personally don't believe warping is an issue.

IMAG0932.jpg

IMAG0933.jpg

IMAG0934.jpg

IMAG0935.jpg

IMAG0936.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to be good. :popcorn: Nice work!

well the powder coater still has my tub so in the mean time im going to finish out the frame and try to get it to a rolling chasis again.

here is my rusty hacked up rear cross member.

IMAG1050_zpsc01a6d3a.jpg

I picked up this replacement rear frame section from classic cuisers which wasnt cheap but cheaper than new hangers, supports and a rear crossmember. I was disappointed to find a 1 1/2 hole torched in it for what i assume was a trailer plug.

IMAG1051_zps0fbda2f5.jpg

most of the bumperette bolts and tailight bolts had broken off so i promptly removed the entire captive nut with an air hammer as opposed to drilling them out and trying to save the threads.

Hole patched up

IMAG1052_zps6312e16d.jpg

captive nuts welded in place

IMAG1053_zps7df4a359.jpg

IMAG1054_zpsbad69b12.jpg

one of my front spring hanger bolts had broken off in the frame so i welded the remainder of the bolt to a piece of flat metal i had drilled a hole in. Worked great and i got to keep my threads!

IMAG1056_zpsacdcdf4d.jpg

IMAG1057_zps5107916b.jpg

IMAG1055_zpscc9cafc6.jpg

rusty frame section removed

IMAG1058_zps5d1671f9.jpg

before i cut the frame i made these 1/4 inch plates that bolted to four existing bolt holes in the frame

IMAG1059_zps17d10f86.jpg

new rear section bolted up

IMAG1061_zps6d4bfd6c.jpg

frame welded together. allignment brackets cut down and welded to inside frame channel for additional support.

IMAG1053_zps7df4a359.jpg

IMAG1061_zps6d4bfd6c.jpg

IMAG1062_zpsc01ab068.jpg

IMAG1063_zpsee8f7756.jpg

IMAG1066_zps35782b9c.jpg

IMAG1065_zps3c41f005.jpg

IMAG1064_zps1180e141.jpg

here it is finished up

IMAG1067_zpsc3a58fad.jpg

Frame looks great Roma! I haven't read too many threads but galvanizing the frame is a first for me. Look forward to seeing this thing on the road. :beer:

Frame looks great Roma! I haven't read too many threads but galvanizing the frame is a first for me. Look forward to seeing this thing on the road. :beer:

Thanks. Nice chatting with you the other day and good luck on getting that 40 back on the road. Maybe time to change your screen name :)

Decided to not do anything further to the frame. Im not even going to paint it black. So ahead with reassembly of the chasis while i wait on the tub...still. Had a good cruiser buddy come over last night and we got the axles and leaf springs back under it.

IMAG1094.jpg

IMAG1095.jpg

IMAG1096.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom