Water pump stud sealant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What should I put on the studs that mount the water pump to engine block? It looks like some of the studs will have direct contact to engine coolant. Loctite blue? Is it waterproof? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Hi, I use water pump sealant by Form a Gasket. Mike

You use it on the threads?

Don't use loctite - Use Blue RTV or the WP sealant Michael uses is good.

What should I put on the studs that mount the water pump to engine block? It looks like some of the studs will have direct contact to engine coolant. Loctite blue? Is it waterproof? Thanks for the help.

as noted...do not use loctitie blue on that.

I believe loctite does make a thread sealer for control of liquids and not for keeping the bolt tight... you want to use the product that is designed for sealing.

Perma-Lok makes a great product called MM115. It is a sealer and mild thread locker. I've used it for many years - seals great and is always easy to remove.

I disagree with the others and believe that you may use blue thread locker. Permatex blue thread locker, according to their website, seals and retains it's effective properties against engine coolant. In fact, they recommend it for water pump bolts.

Loctite 545 is their dedicated thread sealer and it is expensive. I use my bottle sparingly.
I see no reason other than heat why you couldn't use one of the Loctite Blues there. Heat being how you loosen the higher grades of Loctite means that it may be soft when at normal engine temperature. Before using it, look up the product's normal service temperature range on Loctite's page. It may be that a different number of Blue is what you need to use.

Having said that, I use "The Right Stuff" RTV exclusively on all of the usual engine sealing surfaces as well as on transmissions and axles.

Looks like the standard Permatex and Loctite blues have a service temperature of -65 to 300 degrees F.

oey!

If it's messy you're using too much. Likely because someone cut the tip too far back and made the hole too big.

That's what she said !! :D

:rolleyes:

I just did my water pump and did not put anything on the bolts, just a ton of sealant around the holes where the bolts go in on both sides of gasket and backing plate. Is anything necessary on the bolts themselves ?

Likewise...

I replaced the water pump, belts and hoses with all new parts including a new water pump gasket. Used a small amount of anti-seize on the studs as recommended by someone who dismantles and builds Cruisers. Drove it to Yosemite and back to Los Angeles in over 100 degree weather during most of the drive.

No leaks.

How exactly would the stud leak? Wouldn't the gasket that surrounds each of the mounting holes in the pump stop any fluids from leaking?

I don't recall seeing any sealants suggested in the FSM or the aftermarket repair manuals.

In spite of the install torque I have had bolts exposed to water jacket pressure leak up past the threads and shoulder of the bolt. SBC's can be problematic about this because their head bolts got thru the deck into the water jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom