CB Radio for FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is the link to the radio I purchased. Cobra 75 WX ST Off-Road CB Package - $179.95

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is meant to just help you with some of the things I ran into that were not easily explained on the website. The Company I got the CB from are pretty good about posting on their site how to install most of this stuff.

Last edited:
Firestick Antenna

Here it is with the antenna mounted. Now to just get some time off work so I can trail this thing.

P1030212.jpg

P1030213.jpg

I had that same radio in my Toyota pickup and 4Runner. I used the one out of the 4Runner in my FJ temporarily for a couple of years until it shorted out on me. I had really good luck with them and loved the weather band on them. I added a $10 speaker from Flying J truck stop that plugged right into the back and it clipped onto the visor. It made a lot of difference in being able to hear things better because I usually laid the handset on the passenger seat. Walcott CB put out a complete kit called the "Big Bill Combo" named after a member back at the beginning of the blue room when the FJ first came out. He put his own kit together and did a write up with photos and people loved it and ordered the same set up and eventually Walcott put everything together in a kit with a couple of options.

Complete Toyota FJ Cruiser CB Radio System "Big Bill Combo" CB Radios, Base CBs, HAM Radios, CB Antennas, Microphones, Speakers, Stryker, Connex, Galaxy and more at WalcottCB.com

great wripe up .. nice shifter knobs .. !

Question for ya .. did you evaluate Midland 75-822 radio ? ( more less same concept )

I did not look at the Midland. Honestly I did not know a lot about installing CB's or which was the best. I did some research online, and found that this was the best quality ( from many user reviews) for the price. Plus the kit came with everything. I didn't want to have to shop many different places for different parts and then get frustrated with having to find out I needed another part. This kit came with everything. So far very happy with it.

I went with the Midland portable option. Here's my mount. You can see power from cigarette lighter, and antenna connector to cable under driver's side dash. I velcro'd the connector so when not in use, it stashes behind the dash.
CB2.jpg

Antenna is off of my ARB bumper. Low profile is nice. Also makes for a good distance marker in close quarters.
P1020516.jpg
CB2.jpg
P1020516.jpg

Any of you guys ever peak and tune the 75? I am wanting to give it a try just so I can offer it as a service to others. I have done a ton of the "swing mods", peak and tune, etc on the 29 and 148 but never even so much as took the lid off of the 75.

Any of you guys ever peak and tune the 75? I am wanting to give it a try just so I can offer it as a service to others. I have done a ton of the "swing mods", peak and tune, etc on the 29 and 148 but never even so much as took the lid off of the 75.

I had my 75 peaked and tuned at the cb shop I bought it from, but have never done one myself.

I had my 75 peaked and tuned at the cb shop I bought it from, but have never done one myself.

I finally got around to doing a peak and tune and actually developed a final drive transistor replacement. So far so good in field testing. No melt downs and getting great reviews from everyone on the trail! As much as I hated this radio at first, I am finally in love with the performance we're getting out of them.

I am not knocking the write up here, but there is some misinformation. You do not have to unbolt the door hinge to install the Bandi Mount. The best way to route the cable is to drill a 3/8 hole in the door just below the upper hinge and install a grommet, then route the cable through the waterproof conduit between the door and the jack compartment.

You really dont need the additional ground wire on the mount either if you clean the area up properly. I remove my mount every 6 months or so and clean/inspect the mounting surfaces just because I am that "anal" about the bonding.

I'll try to post some photos of installations that I have done to assist in making this easier.

How I install the head unit:
156525_4139502019413_1922375845_n.jpg

How I route the cable:
5417576442_a3fbf7b9d8_b.jpg

I install one or two of these a week and have had zero complaints.

VegasNick, thanks for the info. I may have been over zealous in my grounding methods, it was my first install. Great looking FJ!

I have this Cobra radio, works good. Get your HAM license, 38 question test. Night and day to cb.

Posted via IH8MUD app

I have this setup and have a few points to make.

Regarding tuning, my SWR wen't from 2+ with just a whip, to 1.3 with a spring, to 1.0 with a spring and quick disconnect. The antenna really needs to protrude past the body. If I were to do it again, I would mount off the front bumper.

For those who live in the north, the cable will wear prematurely in the door hinge and at the base. Mine has been patched up with liquid electrical tape, and I hope to get another year out of it.

The small speaker on the Cobra 75 will blow if you have the volume turned right up. I had to order a new one through Digikey. If you want volume, don't expect it from a 2" speaker, get an auxiliary speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom