Braking shaking w/ new rotors and pads: Bushings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, all, I just finished a front end rebuild yesterday and put on new front rotors and 100-series pads. Before the rebuild, I was experiencing a shaking when braking anywhere from 40-60mph (felt it more in the truck than the steering wheel if that makes sense) and a brake pulsing at low speeds.

Now the pulsing is gone, but the truck still has the same tremors when braking.

I've been reading some on here that some braking anomalies can be caused by bad bushings? But, I'm not very familiar where these are or what to check for.

Stock suspension w/ stock tires.

Any "check-this-first" advice or other tremor possibilities?

Check ball joints, LCA bushings trac bar bushings etc...

Hmmm.. I heard the 100 series pads are prone to warping 80 rotors? That would take a little time so not your main prob but isn't this true?

Hmmm.. I heard the 100 series pads are prone to warping 80 rotors? That would take a little time so not your main prob but isn't this true?

100 series pads are only a slightly larger surface area than 80 series pads. I don't think they would cause warping unless someone tried to cause it on purpose, and if that's the case 80 pads would cause warping as well.

OP, did you clean all the oil off of the rotors? You need to do light braking for a while to break in the pads to the rotors. If you don't there is a possibility that you can glaze the discs/pads. You need to transfer pad material onto the rotor surface.
Do a bunch of light to medium stops from around 40mph. You don't want to put to much heat into the discs too quickly.

Actually, you want to do some aggressive stopping to generate a LOT of heat, but easiest to look up the process with Google. You will end up with the rotors and pads sizzling if done right to break in the brakes.

What about the wheel bearings? Loose when the truck is warm? Or cold? Also, your tires will have a cupping/flat spot pattern if you drove with warped rotors for a while which you may now feel until you throw the tires away. The rotors grip hard in the same spot on the tread over and over, then you fix the rotors and have lumpy tires. To experiment, if the front tires have not been rotated then do so.

DougM

Bearings brand new

Thanks for feedback guys. The bearings are brand new and installed per FSM's instructions which is why I'm thinking it's something else other than what got replaced this weekend.

tires

Check for any tire that could be seperating,it would be nice if you could check it on a lift so you could spin your tires and inspect it.:)

If you feel it on the truck not the wheel it's in the rear if you feel it all the time at hwy speeds probably tires if it only when braking probably rear rotors

Don't discount the rear brakes. My rear caliper slide pins were not sliding well and caused a brake pulsation/vibration in the pedal. Overhauled the rear end and all is well.

Thanks for feedback guys. The bearings are brand new and installed per FSM's instructions which is why I'm thinking it's something else other than what got replaced this weekend.

Check the play in the bearings. I did the same, at factory specs, but I had to go back in and tighten them up after a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom