OEM Power Steering Wander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a SOA and 35's OEM power steering on a 1980. Replaced all the tie rod, relay rod, drag link, ends and at one time or another replacd all the seals in the factory PS box. Ready to take the next step in tighening up the steering and minimizing wander. (caster, toe, and the steering box)

Seems like a few months ago, there was a post describing adjusting the steering slop, via a screw on the back side of the OEM steering box. The discussion went back and forth on the wisdom tightening the adjusting screw right in the middle of the wear point on the gears. Then somebody posted the FSM which said that was exactly how the streering was ment to be tighten-up.

I cannot pull that thread up out of the archives. Does anybody recall the thread I am trying to remember, or otherwise can post up the specifics of locating and tightening the screw in the OEM power steering box to tighten up steering wheel slop?

Its pretty easy to tell if you need to adjust the PS box or if your slop is elsewhere. Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the steering box input and output shafts. If the input is moving a bunch before the output starts to move, you're PS box will need to be adjusted. If its the PS box for sure, you can try adjusting the box, but you don't want to mess that up and get it too tight or it can bind up which is a bigger problem than an overly sloppy steering box. Proper adjustment method is in the FSM.

that's what I am looking for, the FSM for the OEM power steering box adjustment.

I know I just saw it here in the forum but just cannot find it now !!!

you didn't mention anything about the center arm. have you done anything to it?

The adjusting screw for the box is underneath the heat shield on the box. You will need to use care to adjust it just enough to remove the play in the middle of the steering range (where the box is most worn), but not so much that the steering wheel sticks when you turn it full left or full right, which means you have it adjusted too tightly.

You can make a significant improvement here in road feel and play, along with adjusting or rebuilding the center link. Wide, 35" tires will not help the wandering - smaller and skinnier tires are usually better in this respect.

I have a SOA and 35's OEM power steering on a 1980.

As was asked previously in this thread:

What is your caster angle?

It does not matter what other things you adjust/repair/replace, if your caster angle is off, your truck will ALWAYS WANDER.

Castor is how this all started. Took the rig to a alighnment shop and just asked them to measure the castor, so I could order the appropriate steel shims.

I do not understand the alighnment process/equipment, but they said it would be extremely difficult to get a good measurement with the sloppy steering.

I knew it needed to be tightened, and don't mind a 1/2 hour of shop time from them to do it (just want them to have the FSM to do it right).

Hope to get a castor measurement out of them at the end

No expert here,but is it possible the center arm needs adjusted??This solved the wandering on my`79 with manual steering.

Seems like a few months ago, there was a post describing adjusting the steering slop, via a screw on the back side of the OEM steering box. The discussion went back and forth on the wisdom tightening the adjusting screw right in the middle of the wear point on the gears. Then somebody posted the FSM which said that was exactly how the streering was ment to be tighten-up.

I cannot pull that thread up out of the archives. Does anybody recall the thread I am trying to remember, or otherwise can post up the specifics of locating and tightening the screw in the OEM power steering box to tighten up steering wheel slop?

Did anybody perhaps manage to find this particular thread ? Since my then leaking OEM P/S box was rebuilt, there seems to be more play so I think it needs a slight adjustment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom