Axle ratio 1991 HDJ81, 5 speed manual? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking all over the net and the ih8mud website for the stock axle ratio for a 1991 HDJ81 with a 5 speed manual transmission, I just acquired one the other day. I am going to be selling my 1990 HDJ81 with automatic transmission, with Wholesale Transmission Extreme Valve Body. Next week I am swapping a bunch of gear including my factory e-lockered axles off my 1990 onto the new truck, the lockered axles presently have 4:88 gearing and I figure with the 5 speed I will go back to 4:11s but I don't know if the ratios are the same for both automatics and 5 speeds.

Also does anyone have the know the gear ratios in the 5 speed?

This is the truck I bought 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ81 VX Turbo Diesel, JDM Parts & Imports For Sale in BC Canada

...is 3.73

;)

Not necessarily. Although the Toyota EPC shows application of 3.73 and 4.10 diffs on J spec 80 series, every 81 I have seen come out of Japan has had 4.10 gears.
The only 3.73 geared HDJ80 I have seen was a 5 spd that came out of Czech Republic.

Check the axle code on firewall tag (Probably K295) and look it up at
TLC FAQ - 9.1 Axle Codes
Transmission ratios are here
TLC FAQ - 8.1 Transmission & transfer Case Ratios (All :1)

The Final drive on the H151F 5spd is lower than ATM (.881 vs .765) so unless you are going to run
35" or larger tires, you will want the 4.10 gears back in there.
I run 285s (33") on my 5spd 80 and would trade my 4.10s for 3.73s in a heartbeat.

Looks like you got the Uber rare part time Tcase on your 80.. Nice!

I have a puny 265/75/16's and when I'm doing 80mph I'm pushing 3200rpm. (5spd/PT).

I would like to get 35" when I get a new set of tires and hope that will take care of my want to get custom gear(s) made or something.

Good luck!!

mot said:
I have a puny 265/75/16's and when I'm doing 80mph I'm pushing 3200rpm. (5spd/PT).

I would like to get 35" when I get a new set of tires and hope that will take care of my want to get custom gear(s) made or something.

Good luck!!

You mean a gear swap.

;)

Thank you 70sguy, excellent info, I have a 4:10 axle ratio, limited slip and a really low first gear 4.081, I will definitely be putting the 4:10 gear sets back into the lockered axles and will have some 4:88 Nitro gears for sale in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for the help.

Good luck!!

Hurry up an buy those 35! Kechi Oj San.
:p

Hurry up an buy those 35! Kechi Oj San.
:p

Hey, don't call me OJ, you Johnny Cochran, I mean Mark Fuhrman, you! :flipoff2:

I'm just waiting for my current tires to wear out, or their treads to get delaminated. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom