Project Ambitious: 1UZ FJ40 - Help Needed!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you need to know? I found the wiring to be pretty easy. I'm not a guy that has had any experience with hooking up a modern engine prior. :beer:

What do you need to know? I found the wiring to be pretty easy. I'm not a guy that has had any experience with hooking up a modern engine prior. :beer:

How/what did you do wrt the OEM ECU throttle position sensor signal for fueling ? Your motor is also the VVTi model ? I did search in your thread but found nothing? -loved you exhaust though:clap:

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. My motor is a 03 tundra. Its drive by wire but not vvti and is paired to an a340e. I hooked up +BM to switched power which powers up the throttle position sensor and pedal (white and green wire, B plug)

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. ..

My bad, I assumed your motor was VVTi and that you had somehow managed to convert the drive by wire setup to a drive by cable system while still using the OEM ecu.

There are lots of threads available online for hooking up a 1UZ.

Google "5 wire hookup 1UZ" or "7 wire hookup 1UZ"

wiring question for 1uz guys

Thanks, will see if it has anything on the 1UZ VVTi :cheers:

Great build ! :clap:

Are you using the stock FJ40 radiator and if so, how is it holding up ?

Thanks. We are currently using a 100 series aluminum radiator, and have not had any issues to date. May have to move to a smaller radiator as wanting to change the steering to a 60/80 series (lower number of links and lower turns to lock) maybe with a Howe steering quickener....

I seem to have missed some of the action on the thread out here.... didn't think anyone was interested anymore :) .... but to be fair no real changes/additions, except we rolled it over doing some wheeling and had some fixing up to do :D Nevertheless, the rollcage and seat belts held things together well and some work on fenders and bonnet.

Please post some pictures of this ?

I will try and dig out some pics of the internal connectors but its essentially connected to the oil pressure sendor through a T type connector with a tap going back into the sump. Here is what the cooler looks like up front, working on replacing rubber pipes with metal ones...

DSC01723.jpg

Last edited:
I downloaded every single 1 uz thread at lex also from toyota techinfo. This is were it went too much for me (too many variety of wiring, different color code, etc).

I think it will be easier and better to have a pointer (or even better full diagram) from people who actually did it and proved to be a success.

Cheers

Sorry I completely missed your posts. Hope you have sorted out the issues in the meantime.

To cut our wiring story short, we essentially did up our harness using the Lextreme wiring diagram for post 95 (sequential injection) non vvti LS400/Celsior wiring diagram. The pre 95 engines have batch batch type ignition (injectors wired in pairs) and the wiring diagram for that is also there on Lextreme. The wiring should be interchangeable between these two general 1UZ types as long as you have the right ECU and MAF sensor (these are different). Having said that, there are some variations between various 1UZs which can be intimidating, but even then, it should not be very difficult to figure things out one way or the other given the extensive help and resources available. I have not seen the 1UZ vvti wiring diagrams, but I cannot imagine things being any more complicated.

I guess the key is to find the right wiring diagram for your specific engine and make sure you have the correct accessories (DBW, MAF, ECU, Ignitors etc). Best of Luck!

Bloody Ridiculous, I tell you :)

It should be a crime to do what we did to any 40, there probably is some legislation against it :)

https://vimeo.com/50938742

Anyhow, zero to sixty on 33 inch BFG MT KM2s, running 9.5 inch toy diffs & locked rear. Apologies for bad video, but only way to capture it while driving!

Lower...

Decided to pull out a few leafs from the packs (3 leafs front and back with helper spring at back) to get the shackle angles and spring rates into a more appropriate range....

file.php

From what I gather the 1UZ weighs some 450 lbs as opposed to 700/800 lbs for the FJ/BJ engines. The H150 gearbox is probably slightly heavier but not by much. Last time I weighed the car in similar trim (with spare tire at back) it was coming up around 1400 kgs / 3100 lbs with about 55 : 45 front : back distribution. Hence with stock leafs it ends up being rather oversprung.....

file.php

Rides much better on highway and bumpy roads. No high speed / desert testing as yet but bets are on with some friends as to whether or not it will break leafs.

Cholistan Rally 2013 (Bahawalpur, Pakistan)

It was the biggest motorsport event of the coutry and the FJ40 seemed to have created a small fan following after last year's entry.
file.php

Lots of work on the car and most of it last minute, but very happy with how everything came together and a big thanks to the support team, particularly my navigator & mechanic Farooq Awan!
file.php

Changes from Last Time:
- 30 inch Yokohama HTs (chosen for sand) on backspaced (-24) 15 inch rims
- Front Koni & KYB (soft) shock combo; Rear Bilstein 7100 reservoir shock mounted fully vertical
- Enhanced roll cage, rear spoiler :), navigator handle with GPS mount, iPad mount, fuel pressure guage; RX7 fuel pump with backup pump mounted in tank....
- Ran with rear diff locked
file.php

Results for Unlimited Category A:
Idea was to run the first half consertively as it was very rough and track was tricky as a result of rains in the Cholistan Desert during days leading up to the rally. Happy with 2nd stage timing though feel that we could have done better with a bit more discipline.
file.php

Last edited:
The DashBoard

Not all that neat but by far the most practical and hi-tech dash board seen in Cholistan 2013. Goodies seen here include, GoPro freaking black Hero 3, iPad 2 with Awan mount, Fuel pressure guage and secondry fuel pump control, onboard air compressor, fan and horn controls, additional roll cage braces and yes the sexy navigator handle with GPS mount.....

It was a hard decision to let go of the BFGs but it had to be done to reduce unsprung weight of the car. Found these cheap second hand Japanese rims with 15x7s and -24 offset as per what it says on them. On tires, ended up with Yokohama 265 / 70 / 15s which were only available in HTs mainly for the 30 inch size (lower gearing and reduced height) and reputed performance on sand. Got some scares with rain and mud but it seemed to work out in the end!

file.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom