No backup lights. Slips out of reverse. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trans feels good engaging in all gears. Reverse feels fine in everyday driving other than a slight delay for it to engage. Shift to reverse then maybe a second goes by then it engages. The only time I noticed it slip out of gear was at the farm backing for a long distance. When I reached a higher speed in reverse it would slip out. Let off gas and engage and go. Only slide out of gear while reversing at a higher speed and goes right back in when letting off gas. It hardly ever happens cause usually do not reverse that fast.

The backup lights do not work at all.

Have read a few threads on here but still not certain of the culprit. Should I start with the connections, wiring and switches to the transmission or the shift linkage adjustments?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have not had a chance to try and trouble shoot this but thought I would check in again.

Anyone have any idea where I should start in trying to figure this out?

Thanks.

I would check two things.
Check the gear selector on the trans to make sure it is adjusted correctly for each gear.
Next adjust your trans shift cable of any slack.
I assume you have checked your fluid to make sure it's full.

Is your "R" illuminated in the center of your gauge cluster when you are in reverse? Do any other gear indicator lights not work?

Call me crazy...pull the back up light bulbs, try reverse, reinstall bulbs one at a time all the while trying reverse.

Crazy...

Is your "R" illuminated in the center of your gauge cluster when you are in reverse? Do any other gear indicator lights not work?

Yeah, the indicator lights do work in each gear.

Call me crazy...pull the back up light bulbs, try reverse, reinstall bulbs one at a time all the while trying reverse.

Sounds crazy... I'll do it! :beer:

Thanks!

I have the same issue. No reverse lights and jumps out of reverse at high RPMs.

Only difference is that my indicator dash light is inop.

I will keep checking for a solution.

I had a similar problem when I first bought my truck

What about trying to play with or adjusting the neutral safety switch on drivers side of tranny

Getting that adjusted fix my problems

I only have the back up lights not working issue...:frown:

Neutral safety switch, you can thank me later. Edit, kidglove 13 and I....

It's getting dark here in central Kentucky right now, but I'm looking at the neutral safety switch first chance I get.

I look forward to thanking you fellas.

Redmon

It's a flat quarter of a clock shaped sensor/switch...located on the driver's side of tranny..

Flat quarter of a clock shape? Please post a picture of which kind of flattened quarter of a clock I should look for:rolleyes::D

Flat quarter of a clock shape? Please post a picture of which kind of flattened quarter of a clock I should look for:rolleyes::D

This is it. $165.00 @ Rock Auto. Make sure this is the problem, most electrical parts if not all cannot be returned. I thought mine was bad, since I wasn't sure, I took the truck to the mechanic and that was not the problem. It was a bad ground. Took care of the problem for $75.00:cheers:
Neutral switch.jpg

This is it. $165.00 @ Rock Auto. Make sure this is the problem, most electrical parts if not all cannot be returned. I thought mine was bad, since I wasn't sure, I took the truck to the mechanic and that was not the problem. It was a bad ground. Took care of the problem for $75.00:cheers:

Thanks Jose....

I was wrong.

I was mistaken. All my gear selection lights were working, I remember looking at my D to see if it had faded any. But, none of them are working now and I am not sure when they quit. Maybe the same time I lost reverse lights.

I checked the 10 amp fuse for the gauge that is on with the reverse lights and the fuse is fine. Tried another just in case it just looked fine but still, no dash gear selection lights in any gear, no backup lights.

I adjusted the neutral safety switch full extent both ways and didn't notice any difference.

Bad ground or time for a new one? Where do you check the ground on this thing? Does it ground itself to the transmission housing or through the wiring?

I did just discover or correct myself that I do not have any of the dash indicator lights working for the gear selections.

Thanks.

You need to adjust the switch in small increments either way it is pretty sensitive is what I have found

Just adjusting the thing full either way is not going to do it

You need to have another person in the truck when you are doing it to get it right with the ebrake on and adjust the switch in very tiny increments as the other person shifts the tranny.

Did you mark the switch before you messed with it?

Try this first before you go and buy a new switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom