have a question about where to put my spare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I saved up enough cash to get a full size spare and it will be a 295/70r18 Nitto Trail Grappler. Am I going to be able to fit it under the truck in the factory spare location or am I going to have to throw it in the trunk? Anyone who has a 35 under their truck please let me know. thanks

The max size for the spare location is a 295/75-16 which is just over 33" and completely fills the space. Anything larger will not fit.

Mine sits on the side of the house by the AC unit. When I go wheeling it gets tossed in the back of the cruiser.

I have a 275/70-18 BFG AT KO (33.25") in the spare location. It just fits between the factory hitch and pan hard bar.

I would say mount it on the hood......

sorry I just had to say that !

jemsec said:
The max size for the spare location is a 295/75-16 which is just over 33" and completely fills the space. Anything larger will not fit.

I'm not sure that is strictly speaking true. My 285/75R18, which is tiny bit over 35" according to good year, has spent some time in the regular spare tire spot. It hangs a bit lower than I would feel comfortable with and I did not feel entirely at peace with the weight of the heavier tire hanging of the stock cable.

I have not made any alterations at that spot either... My truck is '06 if that makes a difference...

Just another data point for decision making.

I'm not sure but wouldn't mounting it on the bottom reduce clearance on the rear? I'd put it on the trunk or the trunk door if you had a mount.

I'm not sure but wouldn't mounting it on the bottom reduce clearance on the rear? I'd put it on the trunk or the trunk door if you had a mount.

Not necessarily, depends on your bumper/receiver hitch situation. I run a 285 75 r16 spare underneath and it's protected by the receiver on ledges, etc.

Slee - Interior Mounting Bar

Has anyone used the Slee 80 series interior tire carrier for a 100?
Probably a different bolt pattern, but just an idea for those without a rear bumper...

My 295 bfgs on OEM 16" wheels will not fit with the OEM hitch. If i remove the hitch, it fits, but just barely. It does hang down as well, below the rear bumper.

Slee - Interior Mounting Bar

Has anyone used the Slee 80 series interior tire carrier for a 100?
Probably a different bolt pattern, but just an idea for those without a rear bumper...

I actually emailed slee about this same thing. He said they used to order one from a company that made them for the hundy but they didn't sell much so they stopped ordering them. The 80 series stripper pole won't line up in the hundy

Not the case...kind of. With a factory trailer hitch, then yes. Without the hitch my Dad ran a 35-inch under there for some time before Slee's bumper came out.

Mine sits on the side of the house by the AC unit. When I go wheeling it gets tossed in the back of the cruiser.
This sounds like a bad idea to me. Unless you meant to say it gets tied down in the back of the cruiser.
In a wreck I'd rather get hit in the back of the head by a chubby 5 year old than a 35" tire. I bet you wouldn't let a child ride in your car without restraints.

Not the case...kind of. With a factory trailer hitch, then yes. Without the hitch my Dad ran a 35-inch under there for some time before Slee's bumper came out.

dang...I really need my hitch to carry my bike around and tow the 4wheeler. this is turning out to be a pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom