Would You Buy This '97 Collectors Edition? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first post here since Ih8mud came up first in google for "97 land cruiser".

Here are all the photos I took today:
97 land cruiser - a set on Flickr

Used 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4
  • 133,213 miles
  • Desert Dune Pearl

Very rare Collectors Edition! This was the last year of the front and rear locking differential, making this a very high demand, MUST HAVE! Please contact a member of our experienced sales team to schedule a test drive today!

Find Your Car: Toyota Land Cruiser Listings Near Arlington, VA 22204 - AutoTrader.com

Here's their site:
1997 Used Toyota Land Cruiser COLLECTOR'S EDITION at Leesburg Auto Import, VA, IID 8505039

compared to my 4Runner High Lander it was sluggish, boat-like (no steering wheel return, you had to haul it back finishing a turn), and poor braking (late response and shuddery).

Still tempted though.

What would YOU do?

Get service records and have a mechanic do a compression test for broken head gasket and check the coolant condition. If you have a body guy have them look for frame damage. If all is well there I say offer them 7k. You will have to put $$ into it like brakes and bearing,seals and fluids but after that you should be good. But get a vehicle VIN check, go here http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis_vehiclehistory.html this a government database where CARFAX gets their info but it's like $8 here. And make sure the VIN on the windshield is the same as on the engine, and driver side door sticker

Last edited:
You can tell that it has seen a bit of road salt. My '97 is basically rust free so I'm a bit picky in that regard. Maybe this one isn't that bad; I've certainly seen worse but that's about the only thing that would really worry me (aside from the obvious stuff like body, frame and/or motor damage).lac

There's nothing rare about a Collector's Edition by the way (mine is also a CE). My understanding is that Toyota basically labelled them all CE at the end of the 97 run. My CE has no wood grain dash, no factory running boards, and no factory roof rack. In other words, it wasn't "loaded". Of course I didn't want any of that stuff so that's fine with me. It does have the black pearl emblems which I like. If the frame isn't too rusty and you still want this one then I would offer them $6k.

Good luck with your search.

You can tell that it has seen a bit of road salt. My '97 is basically rust free so I'm a bit picky in that regard. Maybe this one isn't that bad; I've certainly seen worse but that's about the only thing that would really worry me (aside from the obvious stuff like body, frame and/or motor damage).lac

There's nothing rare about a Collector's Edition by the way (mine is also a CE). My understanding is that Toyota basically labelled them all CE at the end of the 97 run. My CE has no wood grain dash, no factory running boards, and no factory roof rack. In other words, it wasn't "loaded". Of course I didn't want any of that stuff so that's fine with me. It does have the black pearl emblems which I like. If the frame isn't too rusty and you still want this one then I would offer them $6k.

Good luck with your search.

that's a money quote. I do think it's rare for the seats not to shredded, though.

i forgot to mention that all the vin stickers match. whatever damage it may have had must have been trivial.

Decide on a number you would be willing to pay and go for it. Play hard ball with them and see how far down they will go.
Then post up their low price so someone else can snag it! :flipoff2:

Seriously though, I like it, just depends what it's worth to you.
The front axle didn't look that great and the brake system needs some attention. Call the dealer, get a quote on a brake system overhaul and complete front axle service, take those numbers to the lot. If you're dealing with a salesman try to get with the manager, he will come down lower.

Good luck with your hunt! Let us know how it goes! :steer:

It has the auto setting climate control panel, I thought that was only on the Lexus, may be something going on there. Probably nothing, even if it was a replacement just make sure it all works.I would also use the gas mileage as leverage and that it only gets 12/15. Just dont mention you plan to use it for its superior off road abilities and the fact they dont build them like that anymore!

It has the auto setting climate control panel, I thought that was only on the Lexus, may be something going on there. Probably nothing, even if it was a replacement just make sure it all works.QUOTE]

I thought the 40th & the CE editions both got auto-climate like an LX450 - but I could be wrong.

Does it really have lockers? When you key to position 1 you get all the lights, see if you get the diff locker lights & actually go try the rotary knob out on some dirt/gravel - lo range on the x-fer case, then twist the knob - once the blinking locker lights are steady (and turning is a PITA), then you know you have fully functioning lockers.

Those miles (low), and if the body is straight & the underside corrosion is minimal, $7K isn't out of what I'd pay.

It has the auto setting climate control panel, I thought that was only on the Lexus, may be something going on there!

It has the auto setting climate control panel, I thought that was only on the Lexus, may be something going on there. Probably nothing, even if it was a replacement just make sure it all works.QUOTE]

I thought the 40th & the CE editions both got auto-climate like an LX450 - but I could be wrong.

Both the 40th and CE have the auto-climate.

Rust belt truck & poor interior. If the poor interior upkeep is any indication, at a minimum it needs both axles serviced, all fluids replaced and all brakes & calipers serviced/replaced.

Rust belt truck & poor interior. If the poor interior upkeep is any indication, at a minimum it needs both axles serviced, all fluids replaced and all brakes & calipers serviced/replaced.

Indeed. I did notice it was a few years in Ohio. But then, it's been in VA up the road ever since and numerous service records from Rolling Road Sunoco, it even had their oil change sticker in the window with next change at 135000 miles.

It was grungy in there, the back seats had obviously had litttle kids in them a lot. the dealer had smeared their stinky greasy car dressing everywhere, I took pics of those back ashtrays cause they looked like they'd been used even though the front one looked like it had never been used at all.

But the brakes were crap, the engine was slow, the steering was crap and lots of little bits were loose including the overflow tank of the radiator.

If you want to spend another $5000 to $7000 on top of the purchase price, then buy this truck.

If not, then walk away.

My recommendation to all prospective 80 series buyers: if it ain't from southern Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, California (away from coastal regions), Oregon (away from coastal regions), Idaho, Southern Montana, then I would either walk away or ask for the minimum possible.

You are going to be spending days and days dealing with ******* fxxxin rust. That is reality for anything that says Land Cruiser and is east of the Mississippi or north of the Mason Dixon.

Good luck

Those Front Seats may have been recovered(or the factory covers have been removed before)...poorly recovered, or had the factory covers poorly reinstalled.

The foam seems crushed under the leather like it was shoved in...

Either that...or someone manipulated the heck out of those seats in ways I cant imagine contorting a seat cushion...

-Nick-

***Doesnt seem like a horrible buy...I paid a good bit for my FZJ but it was in excellent shape and had a lot of recent maintence performed before I bought***

If you want to spend another $5000 to $7000 on top of the purchase price, then buy this truck.

If not, then walk away.

My recommendation to all prospective 80 series buyers: if it ain't from southern Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, California (away from coastal regions), Oregon (away from coastal regions), Idaho, Southern Montana, then I would either walk away or ask for the minimum possible.

You are going to be spending days and days dealing with ******* fxxxin rust. That is reality for anything that says Land Cruiser and is east of the Mississippi or north of the Mason Dixon.

Good luck

Agree with you Beno except for the geography. I would include Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina and Florida in the rust free belt. That's not a universal truth but pretty much the case.

I lived in Florida and the surface rust is horrible. I lived 20 plus in Wisconsin and was shocked at Florida. The whole Atlantic is a mess.

The Pacific coast is much, much different. Water temps 30 degrees cooler bring fractions of the humidity and salt in the air. I believe the best locale for used cars is Oregon and Washington. Lived there in college and rust is non-existent.

Here in Co we don't use salt and my 17 year old rig is clear of it.

driving home reminded me how much I like my 4Runner even though I think I screwed up getting teh manual considering it has no gas mileage advantage. but I do hate hitting my head in there. maybe I should just figure out how to lower the damn seat. ha ha ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom