I8HMUD - frame rails full (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After spending so much time lately under my truck, I noticed that both my frame rails have about 1"-2" of mud/ dirt in them starting just in front of rear sway bar links brkts going rearwards for about the next foot or so. Any idea on how to get this sh@@ out as I don't see any openings in the bottom of the frame rails for some distance to the front?

I don't even have my 80 yet to have the opportunity to look underneath, but could you stick a garden hose in the framerail somewhere to let it flush things out?

I don't even have my 80 yet to have the opportunity to look underneath, but could you stick a garden hose in the framerail somewhere to let it flush things out?

X2 Another trick for mud removal is park it on the lawn and turn a sprinkler on under it. Make sure your rig is cold or cooled off first.
In the end a clean rig and the lawn is watered.

I have been there with the frame rails full of mud. Start with the garden hose in all the larger holes at full blast. Lawn is probably better than driveway for this. Keep it up until it runs clear. I ran my 60 series up a steep slope in the yard once, then flushed the frame; I did this to have gravity help me out a bit.

after having to cut my arb off the marshmallow due to mud filling the front frame ends and rusting the bolt, then pulling it off fat bastard only one year after putting it on to find this mess again, has anyone thought of cutting holes, like 1/2" or so in the bottom to help clean this out? these frame rails were immaculate when i put the bumper on. that's just one year of wheeling.
DSC00290.JPG
DSC00291.JPG

I actually made a simple tool for this with basic parts from Home Depot or lowes. I use them every time I do a frame detail job and they work out really well!! The hose is a semi flexible hose that's rigid enough to push right through the mud. It's about 4'long. I heated the end and crimped it slightly closed to build up good pressure and create a wider stream. Between that and the brush I can get the inside really clean. The stainless pipe with a 90 degree bend is for blasting air through the frame and blowing crap out with out getting hammered in the face with mud. That's the stuff I use for cleaning before paint and after wheeling.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
after having to cut my arb off the marshmallow due to mud filling the front frame ends and rusting the bolt, then pulling it off fat bastard only one year after putting it on to find this mess again, has anyone thought of cutting holes, like 1/2" or so in the bottom to help clean this out? these frame rails were immaculate when i put the bumper on. that's just one year of wheeling.View attachment 1167156 View attachment 1167157

Please dont cut holes in the top or bottom of the frame... that is where all the strength is!

how long do you have to stay in the creek ?

my experience with trying to clean a 40 frame would suggest it could be a long time :lol:

A few years back, a buddy and I were travelling thru a small creek, and when I got home I found a small fish stuck inside the front frame rail. At the time I had no bumper on the truck.:(

A sewer pressure washer/cleaner works great, 60 chassis has holes in the bottom for water to drain, older chassis have a lot of big holes on the inside vertical so later (1980?) it was boxed.
It pulls itself forward and cleans everything, also hardened clay.
Every time I get soaking wet because it sprays four sides and the pressurized water/rocks gets in my face when working with it, so not a nice job.
file.php

or just ignore it :cheers:

file.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom