Fuel tank relocation. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys

We are in a process of rebuilding our FJ40. I need some advice on Fuel tank.

Does anyone which fuel tank I can place between the frame in the rear ?

My current FJ40 fuel tank is bad and there are reason we can't use the existing fuel tank.

Any ideas which fuel tank will fit in.

Thanks

Mark Algazy (sp) aka 65swb aka marksoffroad.com sells a rotomolded plastic version of the Confer aux tank that fits between the rear frame rails. I believe it's around 20 gals, so about 2.5 gal less than the stock 79 and later tank, but about 42 gal more than the early tanks. You'll need to relocate the filler and get a new filler neck though. It's a nice option if you want coils and a 4-linkn on a late model 40.
You sidn't mention what year your your rig is, so I gave you comparisons for each.

Hi All:

I have a buddy that used a J**p CJ gas tank under the back of his VJ40 instead of the stock under the passenger's seat tank.

Good luck!

Alan

Mark Algazy (sp) aka 65swb aka marksoffroad.com sells a rotomolded plastic version of the Confer aux tank that fits between the rear frame rails. I believe it's around 20 gals, so about 2.5 gal less than the stock 79 and later tank, but about 42 gal more than the early tanks. You'll need to relocate the filler and get a new filler neck though. It's a nice option if you want coils and a 4-linkn on a late model 40.
You sidn't mention what year your your rig is, so I gave you comparisons for each.

Thanks, I will call them up as I don't see in the catalog.

There was talk here somewhere about an S-10 Blazer tank fitting there.

CJ tanks were the same for many years, but there are two versions a 15 gallon metal tank and a 20 gallon plastic tank, both with skid plates that went between the rear jeep frame. 80's had the plastic 20 gallon option, highly recommend the 20 gallon if you go with a jeep one. I have one in the drive way if you want me to measure it to see how well if would fit in the fj40 frame.

The pre 79 tanks were different sizes in different years. I believe the early FJ40s were around the 16 gallon range. The 68-72 (maybe earlier) were 18 1/2 gal. Filled my 68 tank many times when empty and it takes 18 1/2 gallons. 73-78 was smaller again. I have a number of different owners manuals that should have the correct specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom