Rusty Wagon Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kevin, I'm trying to understand the seat/box setup. Do the seats bolt to the lids, and then the seats tilt back when you open the box?
Yup, you got it Tony.
They are a slightly smaller/updated/bolt-in version of what I had made here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/172397-under-seat-storage.html

you guys in oregon get all the cool stuff.
He's just happy to have seats to inspect. he DID NOT like not having his truck, he was happy to have it back together, but then he got super pissed at me when I took everything back out to work in the interior. :p He started standing on things in the truck so I couldn't take them out.

All loaded up ready to hit the road south to Overland Expo.
Just loading some maps on the GPS now and we will be on our way. Taking 395 most of the way, keep an eye out for a tan 60!

Packed up (minus my duffle bag):

IMG_7983.jpg

I put the last tie-down rail along the back of the seat box, always wanting to strap things down in the footwell.
Got an 80 series, and the first 100 series production tailgates in there for the show.

IMG_7986.jpg

Seat inspection approved, ready to go.
IMG_7992.jpg

I'll try to post some updates as I go (never did that before though, so no promises) here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/wagongear/590818-wagongear-will-overlandexpo-flagstaff-az.html

:cheers:

Last edited:
Looks great, Kevin! Have a nice trip!

awesome expedition rig!!! i especially like the head liner storage net and the underseat box.

Thanks all, nice to be actually out using it for a change. :p

TUBBY!!!! Hay what's missing? Oh yeah Amy........
No Amy this time, someone has to stay home and work to pay for this crap.

Did I miss something
Kev did you put those cool opening side windows in the back?
Yup, they are still there. Just getting cleaner and cleaner, not as noticeable anymore. :p
If you check in my vendor forum I posted a short video of them before I hit the road.

The speed at which you accomplished this is absolutely amazing. I have been working on the same three projects for six years now! Kudos.

Sent from my thing with Woody's junk.

The speed at which you accomplished this is absolutely amazing. I have been working on the same three projects for six years now! Kudos.
Yeah, but you probably have a job and make some kind of income. ;p

Hey Kevin can you post up the name of the a/c shop you used?

Hope the expo is going well for you!

Clint
Absolute Air over in Springtucky

Just watched that video of the rear windows. Holy s***.
Thanks, I'll post another one with some explanations now that I've figured out how.
They were a huge hit at the Expo, probably got a couple years worth of opening and closing over a couple of days so it was a good test as well. :cool:

So, updating from the road did not work out well at all.
Turns out I have terrible reception any of the places I choose to stop. Or is it that I tend to like the kind of places that have poor cell coverage? :hmm:

I thought I would be able to post from the expo, but as soon as everyone showed up the bandwidth from the one little remote tower that typically serves the area was completely overwhelmed.
So, a couple of pics from the ride:

IMG_7998.jpg

IMG_8017.jpg

IMG_8045.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8212.jpg

Went great, show was good and no problems with the build cropped up.
I do however have some kind of engine issue developing, about the only thing I didn't touch with this rebuild was the motor, so now of course it has started eating oil out of the blue. :bang::bang::bang:
I get a hefty spout of blue/white smoke coming off idle and I burned 3 quarts of oil in 1200 miles, that's up from about 12oz of oil over 6k miles. Really concerned about that, with no time and no funds to look into it. :whoops:

It was a nice drive though, runs great, nice to camp a bit and see some new roads.

I for one will happily fund your new engine rebuild with the purchase of the NEW underseat storage! Yeah so glad your going to start making them. Yippee your the best Kevin. OK if everyone chimes in maybe he will add them to the WG goodies...

I think I would have to charge a whole lot more if I hope to fund a rebuild. :p
At least you know it would go to a good cause, and no need to bug me about it, I would not have put all that work into a redesign unless I wanted to get other trucks outfitted the same way.
I've got a few minor corrections to make and then I will make a production test unit to replace the rough one in my truck. I am all set to make these for up to 1986 trucks, simple change for the later models but I need to make the templates.
I will be making the templates for the 80s as well.
They are certainly going to be a specialty item, don't expect to have much demand for them but it will be there for the few that it suits.

Did I mention that the "box" goes right through to the other side with this design? Will make a nice place to lock long-arms or fly roads when it's all set. :cool:

The flip windows are first priority right now though.

Edit: I'm going to cross-post this text in my vendor forum here.
Any chat regrading possible seat boxes can go there and not muck up the rebuild thread/tech section.

Wow, Kevin, kickass rig! I totally should have de-badged Betsy Ross when I had the body work done! Next time... I think i need to open a "wagongear savings account"!!
I can't remember: what size tire you running?

Wow, Kevin, kickass rig! I totally should have de-badged Betsy Ross when I had the body work done! Next time... I think i need to open a "wagongear savings account"!!

Ok Kevin Where's the sign up roster for the underseat storage I'll put it in prior to sound damping. Love your mod's. :)

Never mind found it in your vendors forum, dang it number two behind Johnny again. LOL

Last edited:
I like the badges on there, I just didn't have any good ones and it seems that I am always ripping them off on trees and bushes.
Tires are the standard ol' 33x10.5 Good 60 tire, these ones are at about half life.

Ok Kevin Where's the sign up roster for the underseat storage I'll put it in prior to sound damping. Love your mod's. :)

Never mind found it in your vendors forum, dang it number two behind Johnny again. LOL

:D I try to keep a sharp eye on what Kevin makes for new products. I think the production seat box will look awesome in Moonshine!!

Does the latest seat box version result in a higher or lower seat position. I know the first version ended up with the seat a bit higher. Any idea what the seat height effect would be using stock seats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom