Builds GX470 Newbie Build Questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought an 08 GX470. My only other experience with a trail vehicle is an old Disco i had, so i'm starting with the basics here.

I don't want to get carried away just yet, but i do want to lift it a little for some slighter bigger/wider tires. I know there are several ways, and a thousand thread posts on the topic, but i can't figure out what the best route is to start with.

I'm only looking to lift it maybe 1.5-2" max for now. Is this possible with some coil spacers in the front and adjusting the airbags in the back?

Next, what kind of offset or wheel spacing would i need to have the tires stick out a little further than stock?

Eventually, i'd like to replace the airbags with springs, go taller...install a new bumper, more lights, etc...but that's a few years down the road.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
patrick (dakotajones)

I'm going through the same thing with mine right now. I've got the Toytech 2" spacer and love it. I've adjusted the airbags and it still rides fine. Any more than the 1.5 - 2" on the airbags in the back and they start to ride really stiff!

I also installed a set of 285 70R17 Duratracs and love them but... they rub on the inner fenders (that was an easy fix... trim) and on the UCA's (not so easy) at full lock up front. I don't want to run spacers since they are just one more failure point so I've just decided to live with the rub on the UCA's for the time being and am just not turning the wheel all the way to lock. For what it's worth, the guys running full lifts and Total Chaos UCA's don't seem to have any rubbing issues.

If I had to do it over again I probably would have gone with 265 70R17's instead, the height difference is really small and the Duratracs run waaay big. My 285 70R17's measure out at a full 33" x 10.5".

That's as far as I've gotten but am looking at some BudBuilt skids next and then I will be set for a while. Hope that helps!!

forgive the newb question, but how do you adjust the airbags? i wish there was any easy way to disable the speed sensor so you can drive faster than 7 mph in the "high" ride height mode.

does using the toytech spacer and adjusting the airbags make it sit pretty level?

i've been looking at either staying with the 265/65 17's or just go up a bit to the 265/70 17's.

thanks.

Dakota, no prob with the questions! It took me a bunch of searching to find this stuff out. Remember, Google is your friend :D.

Basically there are two ways to trick the airbags... and no, one of them is not to trick the speed sensor :doh:. You can either remove the height sensor from the frame and space it down with washers (by far the EASIEST) #1. Or you can extend the rod connecting the frame bracket to the bracket on the trailing arm #2.

#1 - Bracket spacer. By this I mean, remove the two bolts holding the height adjustment bracket to the frame and put washers or a nut in between the frame and the bracket and re-install the bolts. This moves the bracket down and makes the truck think it is sitting lower so it adds more air.

#2 - Rod adjustment. There is a certain amout of adjustment in the factory setup at the trailing arm bracket. All you do is loosen the rod bolt going through the bracket and slide the rod up in the bracket as far as possible. I thought I would have enough room on my brackets so I tried this method first and ended up only having enough adjustment on one side. Then I had to go back to stock location on that side and resort to method #1 on the other side.

At the end of the day, just don't be suprised if one side goes up more than the other with equal amounts of spacing on either side... the sensors aren't that accurate or sensitive. You'll have to measure before, after, adjust, measure, adjust, measure, adjust again, measure.... you get the idea. Just take you time! :cheers: BTW, also plan on the drivers side being lower than the passangers... it most likely already is (anywhere from 1/8" to 3/4"). This is due to the location of the gas tank and the general wear / tear of driving by ourselves most of the time. It is very common with most Toyota products on this chassis.

Sorry, forgot to answer one of your questions:

- The Toytech spacer will make the truck sit as level as you want because your in control of adjusting the airbags... more or less in the rear is up to you.

I just measured before I messed with anything and then raised up the back as much as the Toytech raised up the front. That way it sat the same as stock... just higher.

google can be your worst enemy too! haha it leads me in all kinds of irrelevant, strange directions at times.

thank you for the info! definitely helpful. i'm hoping for some time over the weekend to play around with the airbags.

did you install the toytech spacers yourself? i'm pretty handy with tools, but havent messed with coil springs before.

google can be your worst enemy too! haha it leads me in all kinds of irrelevant, strange directions at times.

thank you for the info! definitely helpful. i'm hoping for some time over the weekend to play around with the airbags.

did you install the toytech spacers yourself? i'm pretty handy with tools, but havent messed with coil springs before.

I did not install the spacers myself. I'm pretty handy with tools as well but you will need a coil sping compressor to take apart the coil spring and install the spacer. I had neither the tool, nor the huevos to try and learn on my daily driver Lexus :lol:.

yeah, i don't want to risk that...it's my daily driver too. i know you can use a jack under the whole assembly to compress the spring, but i'm not that brave either. thanks.

It will make sense...trace the lines from the compressor for the airbags in the passenger rear quarter panel to the bracket.

To answer your question about a 1-2" lift...

An adjustable Coilover is called adjustable because well......it is adjustable. :) Probably a consideration you might want to consider if you want flexibility.

ICON, Sway-a-away, Radflo... most can be adjusted from 1" to 3.5"
When you are ready to lift or lower you just turn the collar above the spring to adjust it. Allows for compensation for weight such as bumpers and/or winches too for the future...

OME (Old Man Emu), Iron Man are NOT adjustable coilovers as far as I can tell. Please correct me if I am wrong gentleman as I am not omniscient.

Dakota, no prob with the questions! It took me a bunch of searching to find this stuff out. Remember, Google is your friend :D.

Basically there are two ways to trick the airbags... and no, one of them is not to trick the speed sensor :doh:. You can either remove the height sensor from the frame and space it down with washers (by far the EASIEST) #1. Or you can extend the rod connecting the frame bracket to the bracket on the trailing arm #2.

#1 - Bracket spacer. By this I mean, remove the two bolts holding the height adjustment bracket to the frame and put washers or a nut in between the frame and the bracket and re-install the bolts. This moves the bracket down and makes the truck think it is sitting lower so it adds more air.

#2 - Rod adjustment. There is a certain amout of adjustment in the factory setup at the trailing arm bracket. All you do is loosen the rod bolt going through the bracket and slide the rod up in the bracket as far as possible. I thought I would have enough room on my brackets so I tried this method first and ended up only having enough adjustment on one side. Then I had to go back to stock location on that side and resort to method #1 on the other side.

At the end of the day, just don't be suprised if one side goes up more than the other with equal amounts of spacing on either side... the sensors aren't that accurate or sensitive. You'll have to measure before, after, adjust, measure, adjust, measure, adjust again, measure.... you get the idea. Just take you time! :cheers: BTW, also plan on the drivers side being lower than the passangers... it most likely already is (anywhere from 1/8" to 3/4"). This is due to the location of the gas tank and the general wear / tear of driving by ourselves most of the time. It is very common with most Toyota products on this chassis.

I know this thread is super old but I’m in the process of doing the airbag trick and have a question. My driver side only got .5” inch lift after putting as many washers as I could fit under the bracket. About your #2 method, is this the proper bolt that I need to slide up?
Thanks in advance!

I know this thread is super old but I’m in the process of doing the airbag trick and have a question. My driver side only got .5” inch lift after putting as many washers as I could fit under the bracket. About your #2 method, is this the proper bolt that I need to slide up?
Thanks in advance!
Did you figure it out? I just bought a 17 Luxury and need to do the same. Thanks

This is an old thread but thought I would try. I slid the bolt up the bracket on the driver's side, and both sides went up. Sounds like that is normal. The two sides are only 3/4" difference but I'm anal about things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom