Electronic F & 2F Distributors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Recommendations for new coil to replace one with a ballast resistor?

Please let me know when you get more in for the F engine - I can Paypal ahead of time if you wish. Gonna be a nice match with your carb!

Will do.

Recommendations for new coil to replace one with a ballast resistor?

Any 12v coil. The biggest issue your going to find is getting one that fit's the original bracket. I'll try to stop by the parts place and see what kind of numbers I can dig up.

New electronic dizzy installed and works like a champ. Thank you very much and let me know when you get some more in stock. I need one for the Toygoata too.

Any word on when the new distributors will be available?

Are these supposed to be identical to the 78 small cap dizzy? Any differences? And x2 on stocking update.

No they are not a 78 dizzy. These are a late 60's early 70's mechanical dizzy that has entirely new guts in it. With a 78 you need an igniter. With mine you don't.

Will this dizzy work in a 82 fj60 2f I got for a gallon of crown but no dizzy....

PM sent

Installed new electronic distributor in my 69 FJ40 and it runs great. Probably the best improvement for the money that I have done to date. Thanks

Glad to know.

I have 20 more coming in the first of next month.

Also have a used one I'd sell for 90. Customer bought it and it wouldn't fit in his block. I've put it in every motor I have at the shop and it fits in just fine.

Glad to know.

I have 20 more coming in the first of next month.

Also have a used one I'd sell for 90. Customer bought it and it wouldn't fit in his block. I've put it in every motor I have at the shop and it fits in just fine.

PM sent

On this unit all you do is pop the old one out install the new one. Connect the black wire to the negative on the coil and the red wire to the positive side of the coil. That is it. You don't use the igniter that came on some of the later 40's and you don't need the ballast resistor that came on the early models.

Ok...... mine has a Black Wire with a Red sheath around the split spade connector, and a White wire with a Black sheath.

I conected the Red sheathed one (black wire) to the + on the coil and the Black sheathed one (White Wire) to the - on the coil.

I have the original Black/Yellow +12v wire conected to the + side of the coil along with your Dizzy Red sheathed conector (black wire) When the ingition is on i have 12v to the + side of the coil.
With all of this still nothing?

My veh is a 74 F motor
I have a new 12v Coil with an internal restior
I have bypassed the orginal 12v to 6v resistor.

Please help

So is the WHITE Wire + and the BLACK Wire - and just ingnor the colored sheaths around the conector?

Installing the Trollhole Electronic F & 2F Distributors in my FJ40 (sorry for any SP mistakes)

Vehicle spec:
  1. 1974 CA smog FJ40
  2. F 1.5 motor
  3. Trollhole Carb
  4. De-smoged
  5. Factory exhaust

74%20Dizzy_07.JPG

First set the timing to TDC (on the Line not the BB). Remove the dizzy cap but leave the SP wire attacked to it. The rotor should be pointing at or near the #4 spark plug (counting from the front the back).

74%20Dizzy_05.JPG

74%20Dizzy_04.JPG

Remove the one wire attached to the old Dizzy and tape it up (not used and more).

74%20Dizzy_03.JPG

Clean loose debris around the base of the old dizzy. Loosen the dizzy adj clamp 10mm and gently pull the old dizzy out. You will notice that to rotor will spin clockwise about 40* when pulling it out. You will use that final rotor position as the starting point when installing the new dizzy. Apply oil around the new Dizzy original position the rotor aprox in the same location as the old remove dizzy rotor. As you insert the new Dizzy the rotor will rotate counter clockwise pointing at the #4 sparkplug. You will need to apply some downward pressure to seat the new o-ring (you should feel it pop in place). If you don’t, you will run the risk of not engaging the oil pump.

74%20Dizzy_10.JPG

Attach the new cap and use the old cap as the template for installing the spark plug wires.

At the coil you will need to remove the wires attached to it and elect tape them up. (black/white wire, wire coming for resistor and the black/red wire). Remove the black/yellow wire form the input side of the resistor.

74%20Dizzy_02.JPG

Take the new dizzy wires and attach them to the coil (White/black sheathed wire to (-) side of the coil and the Black/Red sheathed wire and the Factory black/yellow striped wire to the (+) side of the coil).

This is how it should look when you’re done.

74%20Dizzy_08.JPG

Disconnect the Molex plug form the Igniter Assy and tape it up.

74%20Dizzy_09.JPG

Attach you timing light and ether use a friend to crank the motor over while you look for the timing mark or use a remote starter. On mine the Vac advance shaft is all most perpendicular to the block. After it starts adj the timing to 7* (the BB on the flywheel) and reconnect the vacuum line.

All in all it a great addition to my FJ.

Ti bits on the Trollhole dizzy

It uses an 1971 rotor and cap for replacement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom