2f alternator bracket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this from someone several months ago. This does not look like the one on my 55. Is this the upper Alternator bracket for a 2f that mounts on the passenger side?

Okay it is....but where does the end closest to the tire in this picture attach to?
image-62936995.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't there some kind of tensioner that goes in that hole that pulls the 2F alt in that direction?

My cousin, Pighead, has it right.

There is a tensioner that goes in the slot and a bolt that goes through the hole in the end and into a threaded hole in the tensioner. The tensioner stud goes through the ear of the alternator. Turning the bolt adjusts the tensioner.

My cousins Pin_Head and Pighead asked me to post these pictures of the tensioner.

P1010010_sm.JPG

P1010011_sm.JPG

And don't worry about my First Uncle Once Removed - Fast Eddy. He always gets upset when he sees the crazy wiring coming off my alternator.

Rocky
P1010010_sm.JPG
P1010011_sm.JPG

Rocky_LC said:
My cousins Pin_Head and Pighead asked me to post these pictures of the tensioner.

And don't worry about my First Uncle Once Removed - Fast Eddy. He always gets upset when he sees the crazy wiring coming off my alternator.

Rocky

Can you post a picture from the other side?

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Thanks cousins....

Rocky_LC said:
Here you go....

Thanks!

Is the hole in the tensioner nut threaded?

Did you need to use a spacer on the lower bolt closest to the outside?

That must be a later model bracket. My '77 FJ40 alt. tensioner doesn't have that part on the end that the bolt tensioner attaches to. You just grab-tug-tighten the alt. by hand.

That is an '85 FJ-60 2F engine. Definitely a later model.

The tensioner nut is threaded (the part that rides on the long threaded bolt). The pin (facing back towards the engine) just looks like it slips through the hole in an "ear" on the tensioner. The front of the pin clamps onto the bracket to keep the alternator tight against the belt.

So you tension it with the long bolt

Then clamp the locating pin onto the bracket to maintain the tension.

Hope I'm clear....

I have this bracket and I can't figure out how to make it work.

68c3038a.jpg

Rocky_LC said:
That is an '85 FJ-60 2F engine. Definitely a later model.

The tensioner nut is threaded (the part that rides on the long threaded bolt). The pin (facing back towards the engine) just looks like it slips through the hole in an "ear" on the tensioner. The front of the pin clamps onto the bracket to keep the alternator tight against the belt.

So you tension it with the long bolt

Then clamp the locating pin onto the bracket to maintain the tension.

Hope I'm clear....

Do you have a picture of your radiator shroud? Mine needs to be trimmed a lot with my set up.

I'm not running a shroud (it's on my list) because of the differences between the 2F fan positioning and the old shroud I had with my original '74 engine.

Have not got around to messing with it... And it runs at a stable (normal) temparature.

Better than me...I dont have that tensioner bracket. On the one on my pig I just pulled the alternator over then tighetend it down...Can I do the same thing with this one? Except it will have a little flooter on the end....

Not sure why I want to change the position of the alternator other than that is what I am used to and it would be easier to get at. Are there other advantages?

It looks like you need to turn tab A around on the long bolt so it points down toward the alternator. Then you need to make sure bolt C is long enough to pass through the ear on the alternator AND also the hole B in tab A. Now you can adjust the tension by tightening the long bolt and lock it in place by tightening bolt C.

68c3038a-2.jpg
68c3038a-2.jpg

I realize the ear is the wrong way, I did that so you could see it. The bolt is the correct size for the threaded hole in the alternator but is too large to fit into the hole in the ear. Should I open up the hole in the ear or is there a bolt that has a long skinny unthreaded tip that will fit in the ear opening?

I would guess that there is another bolt C that has a smaller diameter unthreaded tip. I would confirm this for you if I could but I don't have that style of bracket, mine works like yours is working now, totally off the friction of the tightened bolt C. If I blow up the photo provided by Rocky_LC above, it does look like the portion of his bolt C that extends past the tab is unthreaded, though the photo gets kind of grainy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom