Tailgate lid replacement - no more carpet please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure why they put carpet on the tailgate, but mine is starting to show lots of wear from cooking on it while camping and sitting on it with wet, muddy waders while fishing. I know there is the WagonGear tailgate storage solution, but I'm really just looking for a simple plastic panel to replace the carpet one. Anyone know of one for purchase?

Buy a piece of ABS plastic, cut to fit, and attach with screws to the sheet metal.

Didnt know that Wagon Gear made a tailgate replacement/ storage solution for the 100?

Didnt know that Wagon Gear made a tailgate replacement/ storage solution for the 100?

I think it's technically still under development but there are a few out there undergoing testing.

Last edited:
2003TLC,

Nothing that I have come across. So, either new carpet or DIY:meh:

On Kevin's tailgate storage, I have one of his Beta lids. Great piece of gear. I had one on my 80, so when he offered up the Beta for r&d I jumped on it.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Thanks, but that's not what I asked. I could make one, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a kit for purchase.

Huh? AYFKM???

Take your original pressboard/carpet POS to TAP Plastics down in the Mercer Mess (or over in Redmond) and let them cut you a duplicate in HDPE. Get some body/trim anchors at O'Reilly autoparts and drill and mount. :confused:

Or, better yet, you could buy my $339.99 kit (which is totally worth it, since I gets those edges so smooooth!)... :flipoff2:
P1030565 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
I will cut a piece of plywood and stain it for you. I can jack the price up to as much as you want to pay or pay for the wood and the shipping and I can do it for free. I put a piece of thin plywood on my tailgate when it gets nasty I will throw it away and build cut another one.

Didn't spressomon send Wagon gear the tail gate he smashed into the cypress at the oysters fest a few years back?:confused:

Hey Dan, I knew you would appreciate me bringing that up again.:flipoff2:

I think it's technically still under development but there are a few out there undergoing testing.

Nice I had one for my 60 any idea when the testing will be done and it will be available for the 100?

Huh? AYFKM???

Take your original pressboard/carpet POS to TAP Plastics down in the Mercer Mess (or over in Redmond) and let them cut you a duplicate in HDPE. Get some body/trim anchors at O'Reilly autoparts and drill and mount. :confused:

Or, better yet, you could buy my $339.99 kit (which is totally worth it, since I gets those edges so smooooth!)... :flipoff2:
Not UMHW?

Didn't spressomon send Wagon gear the tail gate he smashed into the cypress at the oysters fest a few years back?:confused:

Hey Dan, I knew you would appreciate me bringing that up again.:flipoff2:

Yep. Considering no one would come forward with a 100 lower gate I think everybody should send me a nice donation for what that fn mistake cost me :D

I saw Kevin last month...he's refining all the various pieces so its 100%. I think he's getting close.

Not UMHW?

Well, that's an optional kit upgrade. I can also do Delrin, but that kit runs over $600. The CF/Kevlar/Boron kit -- yeah, I only price that out for "special" customers.

No, I chose HDPE because I also use the tailgate as a cutting board and it doesn't dull knives too badly. It does score but a little bleach/detergent and it cleans up nice and sanitary.

2003TLC, I am messing with you. No :flipoff2: intended other than the :flipoff2: offered. Hopefully I'll see you around. Check northwestoverlandsociety.org, it's not all RoverMechs and you'll find more than a few Cruisers.

Last edited:
Loud:
Did you also use HDPE?

staggrlee, I like your tailgate setup, similar to mine....except I went overboard and did 16 fasteners :)

And did a right proper job on drawers too I see. :wrench:

The plastic bins were "temporary" several years ago but have lasted far longer than I would have guessed. Still have a couple sets of full extension slides sitting around for drawers, but if the bins break I'll probably just be lazy and get another couple at the Container Store.

Well, that's an optional kit upgrade. I can also do Delrin, but that kit runs over $600. The CF/Kevlar/Boron kit -- yeah, I only price that out for "special" customers.

No, I chose HDPE because I also use the tailgate as a cutting board and it doesn't dull knives too badly. It does score but a little bleach/detergent and it cleans up nice and sanitary.

2003TLC, I am messing with you. No ************ intended other than the ************ offered. Hopefully I'll see you around. Check northwestoverlandsociety.org, it's not all RoverMechs and you'll find more than a few Cruisers.

Thanks very much for the input and the sarcasm guys. I have no problem making my own and it looks like that is my only option. With a new baby girl at home and working long hours, I want to spend the little spare time I have on the river, so was just looking to see if there was a kit. I've had TAP plastics make panels for my jeep in the past, so I'll hit them up again.

Listen; unless it can be bent, welded, torched, machined or screwed these guys aren't interested. So your question regarding a kit falls on deaf ears.

I'm in the same boat trying to figure out what to do about mine... I have come to a similar conclusion, i'll probably have to create my own or have it made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom