Tire size for 16x8 wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Been looking with the search engine, but can't find a definite answer.

What's the optimal size for 33" inches tires for 16X8 wheels? Main use of the truck is DD. 33 / ?? / 16

I was looking at some 285 / 75 / 16, is that correct?

Thanks

I say 33 10.50 16, but, a 9.50 will tuck under the fender very nicely and give you that old school skinny tire look.

A 12.50 is a super wide tire and will definitely stick out, depending on your wheel set up, up to a couple of inches.

A 285/75/16 is roughly a 33x11.22x16

I used this website that has a conversion calculator

DML Tire and Wheel Calculator

As a DD my 10.5's are pretty good. The weight of the tire and tread pattern will have an impact on gas mileage. I'd try to keep a narrow footprint for DD use. Less friction. 11 sounds a bit too wide for my personal tastes but should work well on a 16x8 wheel.

i'm running 235/85/16 and find them very well mannered on the highway, and plenty big.

255 85 r16

these drive nice. just over 33" tall and about 10.5 wide
IMG_6055.jpg

A few of the 80 guys run ^^ that size and seem to like them. Slightly better mileage I imagine and not as heavy as the 285/75. They run them on the stock 16x8 wheels.
btw 255/25.4=10.03937":flipoff2:

I'm hesitating... I want big tires for the look but I want a good gas economy...

Isn't this an Oxymoron? big tires AND gas mileage? Either way I think the difference is negligible as far as the width vs gas mileage is concerned. I think you should get what is going to make you happy. would a 9.5 that you hate that gets you .5mpg more than 12.5 that you love make you happy? I don't think so. Get what your little heart desires. These things are crap for gas mileage anyways.

Anything between 245/75 and 285/75 goes well on a 8x16 wheel. 255/85x16 is a verry popular tyre over here to, a shame a lot of tyremakers only have mud terrains in that size.
You cant get toyo M55s in europe and i find the mudterrains to harsh for hyway and gravvelroads.

I am still hoping Goodyear is going to make theyr Duratrac in 255/85x16 and D or E rating.
It would be an instant hit in Europe, great for traveling up north, even in winter (studded) and for African trips to

Think about this, in metric tires, the first number is the tread width......285 is wider than 265
the second number is a % of the tread width ie: the first number
285/75 is 285 mm wide, and the 75 is 75% of 285 = 214
285/70 is 285 mm wide and the 70 is 70% of 285 = 199.5

So, if you want the fat tire look, but not taller, go 285/70.
Fat look, but taller, go 285/75

Manufacturers will all specify rims widths for their tires, for 285/75R16 at 11" wide, probably 8" rim width would be ideal, IMO 7" rim width too narrow. 10" rim width would give you a 'cool' wide tire look with no ill effects. Tire pressure comes into effect for rim width as well, but that's a whole different opinion. Narrow rim, lower pressure, or you will wear the crown out of your tires. my .02 worth

It's just simple math.

All the manufacturers will give overall diameter in their specs.

So, a 285/75R16 is aboout 33" tall 11" wide

This would be a skinny to me, maybe not others.

295/75r16 is just slightly over 33" where the 285/75r16 you originally posted is just slightly under 33" The 255/85r16 is another good one just narrow. I can't speak for FJ60's but all of these sizes fit on stock 80's.

You can run larger tires on the 16x8" wheels without issue.

Isn't this an Oxymoron? big tires AND gas mileage? Either way I think the difference is negligible as far as the width vs gas mileage is concerned. I think you should get what is going to make you happy. would a 9.5 that you hate that gets you .5mpg more than 12.5 that you love make you happy? I don't think so. Get what your little heart desires. These things are crap for gas mileage anyways.

yes....at some point in time the efficiency of the engine/trans/gears/tires takes a downhill slope as tire size increases. A moderate increase in tire size can gain some fuel mileage on a very small scale. A large tire size increase with all other factors staying the same would have a negative impact on mpg.

That's the size I've been watching for a few years now. The D or E rating on a 255/85 and 1/2" taller than typical 15" 33s is what I was attracted to. Also hard to find OEM 60 series wheels in 16" on aussie ebay, from a seller willing to ship. ;) And Outback TX-1s are no longer made.. and Staun appears to be in death throws so they likely won't make that wheel. Basically I am sticking to 15s until I can find a solid 16" wheel I want and then I will probably move to the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom