Group Buy: Innovative Wiring turn/marker harness (single function to dual function) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There's been a couple threads on either swapping the corner and marker lights or cutting up the harnesses to provide multiple functions.

I'm not really a fan of hacking up a perfectly good harness, so I contacted Gary over at Innovative Wiring to see what he could do. I had previously purchased his headlight adapter harness (which converts the 9005/9006 to a H1/H4 setup) and been extremely impressed with the quality.

The idea behind it is to have a plug and play harness that converts the existing 1156 bulbs (single function, on/off) to 1157 bulbs (dual function, on/flash/off). To get an idea of what's involved, you can take a look at the MoGas Mod, which is the same idea but splicing donor harnesses in rather than running an adapter.

To explain it a different way....

Input:
1156: Marker
1156: Turn signal

Output:
1157: Low: Marker High: Turn
1157: Low: Marker High: Turn

So basically you have two inputs and two outputs. The two inputs are two separate functions, the two outputs are running to dual purpose bulbs. So instead of discrete functions in the two light housings, you have combination lights in both.

The goal of this mod is to accomplish several things:

• Both the corner (turn signal) and front (marker light) are converted to combination turn/marker lights.
  • The lights do not stop acting as marker lights when the turn signal is turned on.
  • Everything is plug and play using a high quality harness (easily reverted). No wires to cut or splice

So far, Gary doesn't think there will be a problem doing this.

So...any interest?

I heard back from Gary, his initial price quote is $40 for the harness (this covers both sides, so $40 per vehicle). Now if something comes up that's unexpected, this price could change, but as that price is right in line with his other harnesses I don't expect there to be any issues.

If you are interested, please post up (even if you have previously) and how many you would like.

PLEASE don't post up that you are interested in one unless you're serious. I realize stuff comes up and some people will drop out, but lets try and keep that to a minimum.

I know Gary uses PayPal, but I will see if he can take other methods of payment (as I don't use PayPal).

Buyers:
  1. Ebag333: 2
  2. 80ways: 1
  3. jdeitch: 1
  4. aim: 1
  5. Italianbread73: 1
  6. rhyary: 1 (ARB)
  7. Otamiway: 1
  8. corsair23: 2 (1 ARB)
  9. gtfour43: 1
  10. NLXTACY: 1
  11. shakotankei: 1
  12. maronism: 1
  13. arndog123: 2 (ARB)
  14. PDoyle: 1
  15. FloydtheDog: 1
  16. dstar: 1
  17. CycloSteve: 1
  18. Kaibigan56: 1 (ARB)
  19. LCTraveler: 1
  20. silverhorse: 1
  21. weaseltraps: 1 (ARB)
  22. 96bruzer: 1 (ARB)
  23. EricG: 1
  24. Koffer: 1
  25. shfd739: 1 (ARB)
  26. C5Drvr: 1 (ARB)
  27. Devo: 1 (ARB)
  28. Bob_Garrett: 1
  29. SUUEEET: 1
  30. jccruzer: 1
  31. jojobeed: 1
  32. HooDoo: 1
  33. Corbet: 1
  34. Dutchy: 1 (ARB) (Overseas)
  35. DMOZ: 1 (ARB)
  36. Cos4x4: 1
  37. dace voit: 1
  38. Uncle Grumpy: 1
  39. Darne: 1
  40. Frostbite Doug: 1
  41. Skiater: 1
  42. cme4lyt: 1
  43. alexdell: 1
  44. SunTzuMD: 1
  45. djsixbillion: 1
  46. ToyotaDon: 1
  47. western flyer: 1
  48. Dino: 1 (ARB)
  49. 86tuning: 1
  50. axolotl81: 1
  51. bog925: 1
  52. sunlune: 1
  53. superjuice: 1
  54. photomike: 1
  55. ncduckman: 1
  56. TX Silver: 1

Last edited:
Price would be a consideration, but I would be interested. I like the idea of a harness, not hacking.

$50 or less & I would do it. Not sure how realistic that price is, but I guess we'll find out.

I can't (obviously) give a price. But for comparison, the head light harness is $50.

It's actually pretty complex and requires a decent amount of wiring. And the part that goes into the light housing isn't cheap (which is why most get one out of a junk yard rather than new).

I'm really hoping that it'll hit the $50 or under price mark. Either way, I'll be getting two (one of each of my rigs) as it'll significantly improve safety on them.

Depending on price I might jump in.

Interested in this plug n play harness..subscribed to see what the price will be..

Thanks Ebag333

Great idea. I'm interested unless the price gets outrageous.
Thanks very much for looking into this for the greater good.

Bob

Interested

Otamiway said:
Interested in this plug n play harness..subscribed to see what the price will be..

Thanks Ebag333

Yeah, what he said. ;)

I presume you guys dont have the side blinker indicators? In europe we do.

What could be a nice edition is when you slighty hit the blinker ..not all the way that it automatically blinks 3 times. This is more common on the modern cars but in my opinion would be a great edition for our cars.

Subscibed.

Dutchy said:

What could be a nice edition is when you slighty hit the blinker ..not all the way that it automatically blinks 3 times. This is more common on the modern cars but in my opinion would be a great edition for our cars.

Subscibed.

+1
I have this feature on my 2008 VW R32 and my 2009 GTI. I didn't initially think is was a big deal, but when I drive a car that does not have it I REALLY miss it. Spoiled I guess ;)

interested!

Interested in this as well.

Interested

Yes, I'm interested.

Subscibed.

+1
I have this feature on my 2008 VW R32 and my 2009 GTI. I didn't initially think is was a big deal, but when I drive a car that does not have it I REALLY miss it. Spoiled I guess ;)

FWIW

This would take more than a wiring harness to accomplish. It's probably not even something that could be retrofitted (at least not in a cost-effective way). The newer cars all have control modules (computers) that receive inputs from things like the turn signal switch. Then the module is what actually sends the electrical impulse to flash the lights.

As far as the wiring harness, I'd be interested, though I'll probably end up fabricating my own.

ToyotaDon said:
FWIW

This would take more than a wiring harness to accomplish. It's probably not even something that could be retrofitted (at least not in a cost-effective way). The newer cars all have control modules (computers) that receive inputs from things like the turn signal switch. Then the module is what actually sends the electrical impulse to flash the lights.

As far as the wiring harness, I'd be interested, though I'll probably end up fabricating my own.

A simple one-shot (de-bounce) to insure the driver just tapped the turn signal not engaged it fully, use that to trigger a simple timer circuit (555) which would "flash" the lights a predetermined number of times. Could be made to fit in a very small box that could be incorporated into any vehicle. It would be very Inexpensive to make. I'd be willing to bet such a thing already exists.

Subscibed.

+1

FWIW

What Donal said.

I drove a Chevy cross-over that had this feature, found it kinda annoying. But yeah, it'd take a *lot* more than just a few bits of wiring.

There are relays that will stay active a minimum amount of time, or perform other functions (that's how you get the brake light mods where they flash several times when brakes are applied), so it's very doable. But it would not be as simple or as cheap. I purchased a module for my trailer for it's lights, one of the option is the triple flash when brakes are applied (or you can choose standard on/off style). The price escapes me, but while it wasn't hideously expensive it wasn't free either.

Long story short, no way it's going to be $50 if we don't keep it simple. I was thinking of ways to customize this, such as adding an output for a side marker light (an additional one on fender) or ARB markers, etc, but in the interest of keeping the cost and complexity to a minimum, it makes the most sense to avoid such things. A lot of people would choose not to use them regardless.

If you really want such customization done, you can contact Gary and I'd be willing to bet he could do it. The price for a one off will be a lot more expensive than a group buy (or production item), but he's pretty good about doing custom stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom