How To: Replace your own steering rack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wrote up this long how to for member who PMed me so i figured I may as well share it with the masses.

98 LC 200k seemingly well cared for miles, but this is def its first rack. Its now strictly for off road use.

This is not a 1 banana job. But anyone can do it with a day, maybe a friend, and some 4 letter words.

My dad was there as well as a friend that owed me from a couple weekends of working on his Disco, if he wasnt a good friend and didn't owe me some time he surely would have left half way through.

Tools:
metric wrenches
2ft of extensions
univesal joint(s)
good socket set
creativity
a friend
beer

Supplies:
-New Rack-Got mine from Toyota through a friend for $530 brand spankin new. Retail was $700+
-I also went ahead and did the poly bushings
-1 gallon of coolant
-1/2 quart of oil
-2 quarts of power steering fluid

I also did my ball joints while i was in there, and after all the challenges and cursing i got a little over taking pictures. I will post what i have but as other people do this job, please take pictures.

I did the ball joints WITHOUT a press, it is possible to do without messing anything up as long as you have a good sized hammer, sacrificial nut and a good pry bar set.

Alright, from memory here is the order of operations that worked for me strictly for the rack.
1 car in the air, tires off skidplates off(duh)

2 stare at it a long time and get the lay of the land in there.

3 remove the oil filter and housing. Be ready to catch about a half quart of oil, and half gallon of coolant. It will get everywhere, and it sucks.- there is a 14mm bolt 2 12mm bolts and 1 12mm nut that hold this adapter bracket to the block. These are accessed through the frame hole that the steering rack threads through on the drivers side. I used extensions, shallow sockets and a universal joint to get these off. Be creative, these are not fun bolts but by going from outside the frame rail they seemed easier. Carefully remove from the area and be sure to preserve the rubber gasket in there. If it removes easily and is still pliable reuse it. [UPDATE: after a long road trip and 2 days of wheeling this gasket is seeping oil, i tightened the bolts and it had no effect so put some thought in getting a new gasket!]I did and it sealed great(at first). There is a coolant inlet and outlet on the housing there are simple compression clams that just get slid down, and the rubber line gets pulled off, check to make sure these aren’t cracked.

4 remove the 10mm bolt that connects the rack to the steering column. May need to put the key in the ignition and rotate the wheel for easy access from below.

5 using a 17mm(I think) socket and 3/8 drive ratchet remove the forward hard line from the rack. Be ready for some fluid.

6 using a 10mm and ¼ drive ratchet remove the little bracket that holds stationary the 2 lines as they run across the front of the rack. You will know what I’m talking about when you get there.

7 guide the line that you had just removed down so the remaining fluid can drain. At this point you should have some nice open space to get to the rear line. Don’t attempt to remove it yet.

8 remove the 2 bolts that thread vertical on the rack. There are nuts and they will need to be held to remove these bolts. Easy money

9 there is a u bracket that holds the other side of the rack. The front one should be relatively easy. Use the tools you have to back this long bolt out. The back one is…not strait forward. I had the best luck with about 2 foot of extensions and a universal joint to get it off. Im including a link to the few pictures I did take and you will see what I’m talking about. Once broken loose, it becomes an easy job of bolt removal

6847780487_e17f5feb15_z.jpg

look close and you can see where the socket is connected, and the top left of the photo you can see an extension. Also isllistrated here is the frame hole that i accessed the oil filter housing bolts from on the other side.

9a -remove the rear line with an open end wrench, this will take time, once it is broken loose it will be 1/4 turns
6847773617_f7084c44a5_z.jpg

10 WITHOUT removing the tie rods from the upright, break the nut loose on the rack and twist the rack ends until it is no longer connected to the tie rod. Do this on both sides. With the rack still connected but loose from the steering wheel, turn the wheel all the way until it stops RIGHT. This will make the short end of the rack be on the drivers side.

11 Fenagle and disconnect the column from the rack, FORCE it passenger side with extreme prejudice until the end of the rack is out of its frame hole and the hard stuff is done.

12 go back in with the new rack again with it pushed all the way passenger to fit. Be sure to attach the old had line bracket to the new rack.

13 With the steering wheel strait, measure the rack from boot end to tip of the threaded end, make sure both ends are the same length and connect the steering column making sure the steering wheel is strait.

14 connect the rear line with the rack still loose. This will be a 17mm wrench doing 1/8 turns. With the rack loose, it makes things easier.

15 connect the front line

16 install the oil filter housing being sure not to pinch the gasket

17 bolt the rack down using the 4 bolts

18 connect the rack to the tie rods and make sure the flanged end of the nut is installed correctly that is used to tighten up the tie rods. Using your eyeball, make sure the toe is as close to 0 toe as possible and tighten nut down on tie rod

19 add steering fluid, add coolant at radiator, add ½ q of oil, start truck, add more steering fluid and coolant. Move the steering back and forth a few times. The pump will sound very unhappy but this will go away after a short drive when it works all the bubbles out.

20 skid plate

21 take it for an alignment AND ASK FOR 0 CAMBER, for some reason the book at the place I was taking it to required positive camber…nuts.

sorry for the lack of pictures, but this should get people going the right direction.

Last edited:
You are AWESOME!

I plan to take pictures when I do this project in the next month or so and I will post them up.

Mine will be a little different (perhaps easier), as I will have the front diff removed.

Nice Write Up!:popcorn:

I feel this will be one of my projects in the next couple of years.

Good write up - I did this job and it sucked more than you can imagine. If mine ever needs to be replaced again - I'm paying someone to do it for me. It sucked bad. Not an easy job at all.

FYI:

I just called CVJ Axles in Denver. They are well known for their work.

$299 for them to rebuild my steering rack. They pressure test it afterward. They can do it in a day. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty (whatever that is). They have a good name, so I feel confident.

Nice. I was hearing people quote $700 for the rack, without install.

Good write up - I did this job and it sucked more than you can imagine. If mine ever needs to be replaced again - I'm paying someone to do it for me. It sucked bad. Not an easy job at all.
That's not good to hear...

Paying someone to do it is not good for my wife to hear.

I'll still go with the busted knuckles.

If I had to do this job again I honestly believe that it could be done in 4-5 hrs. This write up should easily knock off a couple hours of head scratching. When I install my dad's rack I wil document it better and add pics to this thread if 5cruiser doesn't beat me to it.

We are going to reman my rack to go into his and I was quoted $150 parts and labor by a local guy that supplies the local Toyota dealer with reman racks. I would caution against this route for lifted trucks with large tires and hard driving. You can't add material to a worn out rack. Most of the time they are just seals, but if it's been run hard, you run the risk of another rebuild premature due to the metal being warn. His is a highway cruiser so it should hold up fine.

Kudos for taking on this nasty job...& doing the write up! :clap:

Thought I would tie these two threads together for those researching (like me)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...ck-leak-rubber-bushes-changed-aluminum-6.html

On page 6 of the above thread, there is a fair amount of discussion and parts numbers for rack bushing replacement. Seems wise to install new poly bushings while doing this job. There is also a list of sway bar bushings for "while your down there".

Today I removed the front diff, and the steering rack.

I have some things to add to this write up

1) The fact that I was doing the front locker at this time and removing the diff, made many parts of this easier.

For example, the awful bolt that you had to use 2 feet of extensions and a universal to reach...well...

This bolt? :D

racknut.jpg

Yes, with the diff gone, it was hugely accessible. Of course, it's a lot of work to remove the diff, so that doesn't count much for a rack only replacement.

However... The friend that was helping me was not satisfied with the idea of disconnecting seals in the engine oil system by removing the housing and did not want to drain the coolant. He looked carefully at it and suggested we just lift the engine about an inch.

We unbolted the one side engine mounts (2 #14's) and jacked it up just a bit. Here is the separation in the mounting plates.

enginemount.jpg

This lifted the filter mount and coolant line just enough to slide the rack out. Piece of cake. Here's some pictures.

Notice, oil filter housing still in place.
norack.jpg

Gutted:
empty.jpg

parts.jpg

I am not a skilled mechanic by any means, but I learn as I go and do as much work as I can. It will be easier to fix on a trail if I've done it in the shop. Yes this was a little difficult of a job, but only in time and access frustrations. I had it a little easier with the diff out, and a smart friend helping. I am glad I have done this work myself...of course I still have to put it together.

Thanks Engine er for the writeup and the courage. :cheers:

YOU DID WHAT TO THE ENGINE?!
Lifting the engine was THE way to do it. Simple!

ENGINE er, nice write-up. Thanks for the info.

AWESOME!!!

I hate that you lifted the engine...because i have an engine hoist in my garage i could have easily done that as well.

ALSO!!! That little gasket that seals the adapter to the block to keep in oil failed this weekend!!! Not spectacular failure but enough escaped over 450 mile road trip and 2 days of hard wheeling to make things wet in there.

So i will be ordering this new gasket and replacing it this weekend. I think it can be done without too much hassle. and im going to use a little bit of silicone this time as well.

We didn't lift the whole engine, just the drivers side. Unbolted the drivers side engine mount and jacked it up an inch.

This thread really was the one that got me to do my own steering rack. I even learned some tricks to add to it.

For the benefit of anyone else willing to take on this job as a DIY...

...why the heck isn't this in the FAQ?

Real time help needed

Hi,

First of all thanks for the awesome info! I'm in the middle of replacing my steering rack and am stuck. I cannot get the steering column to disengage from the rack. I've removed the no 10 bolt that clamps the end of the steering column to the rack but it seems to be rusted on. I've tried PB blaster, heating it with a heat gun, knocking it with a long punch etc but still can't get it to budge. I even tried hammering in a screwdriver as a wedge into the split in the clamp to try and pry it open a bit but no joy. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Have you already removed the mid coupling? If you can work that loose and slide it down then maybe use the last section as a lever arm with a cheater bar/pipe and start working it back and forth from the top. If it's a replacement you could always cut it off. What about a little heat from a torch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom