CDL No Workie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did the 7pim mod couple weeks ago and all was well. Went wheeling and the CDL is not work any more.

Where should I check first or should I just hook up the 7 pin and see what happens?

Did you protect the loose wire when you disconnected it from Pin 7?

Do you hear a click (relay) when you engage the button?

I put electrical tap on the wire.
The switch works fine when I push it.

I assume there should be a fuse CDL, right?

I tried to put the wire back in but can't get it all the way in. I tried a prick to push down on the plastic clip but still can't get it in.

The switch is working as I can hear the clicking of the CDL box under the dash making noise.

Its either the CDL box is not sending out the signal, a wire is broken or its the motor.
I have a CDL motor from my last T-case but it is missing a part in the position sensor thingie so don't know if I could just plug it in and see if it works.
The part is a spacer that the position sensor rides on. The sensor tells the motor to stop turning when the actuator is locked/unlocked.

When I push the CDL button, I can hear a noise from under the dash but get no diff lock light or antl-lock brake light.

If the motor was not working on the t-case or a short some where shouldn't I at least get the anti-lock brake light and or the diff lock light flashing?

How do I get the wire pin back in the plug?

When I push the CDL button, I can hear a noise from under the dash but get no diff lock light or antl-lock brake light.

The click under the dash is the relay closing, should be sending power to run the CDL actuator motor.

If the motor was not working on the t-case or a short some where shouldn't I at least get the anti-lock brake light and or the diff lock light flashing?

No, they light up from the switch that confirms that the gears have shifted, engaged.

How do I get the wire pin back in the plug?

I doubt that it's your problem. Is the CDL actuator motor on the transfer running when the switch is pressed?

I don't hear the actuator making any noise.

My bet is that the actuator is bound up.:frown: It could be the relay box output or wiring and/or connections, run the FSM tests to confirm.

Where would I find these FSM tests?

Without knowing what year / FSM you are working from I have pages TR-33 & 34 (transfer case section) as good starting points - at least working from a '97 model yr FSM.

I got lucky when my CDL was not working by just removing the connector at the actuator and cleaning it and plugging it back in. Could just be dirt/moisture in the connector at the actuator causing your problem. Also once you get it working again make sure to engage/disengage it a couple times a month. This helps prevent it from sticking internally.

They sometimes simply get a bit of crud on the actuator and on the big switch on the center diff that tells it to light the light when the actuator's hit the end of its travel. A few years ago I tired of forgetting to exercise the lockers and pulled the switch off the center diff, cleaned it and put it back in. Worked fine for years then slowly re entered the slightly balky stage. Now I'm good at remembering to use it a few times a year and it engages. Any luck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom