power steering pump mounting advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question for you guys:

I'm fitting a factory '79 FJ40 PS system into my '78 FJ40. I'm at the point of mounting the pump. I want to use the factory pump (because I already bought a new one) but my original motor lacks the stock bracket mounting holes. My '78 has had the smog pump removed but the original mounting bracket is still in place. Is there a reason I'm overlooking why I couldn't mount the pump in the position once occupied by the air pump? There must be a reason the original manufacturers mount the pump as high as possible (convenience for filling/checking fluids,?). Any help or advice is welcome. I do have the ability and tools to fabricate a mount. I searched the aftermarket mounts for a Saginaw pump bracket and found a couple but they use the head bolts to secure the bracket. Anyone have any experience with these? Any issues from loosening and then retorquing the front two head bolts? Thanks in advance - Bob

Talk to Georg, he helped me with my saginaw system.

"orangefj45"

Last edited:
I made brackets out of shallow 'c' channel that attach to the water pump and to the shock tower, and have been running a minitruck pump that way for 15 years. I ultimately welded a stud with a nut in the middle so that I could tighten down the water pump stud with a wrench, and then hang the PS bracket off the protruding end of the stud. You can also just weld two bolts 'head to head' and grind them down to accomplish this.

You could do all of this with an FJ60 pump. As long as the reservoir is higher than the box (which it surely will be) you should have no issues. If you have removed the smog pump, you'll have even more places you can mount the pump. *If* you mount the pump right where it would be on an FJ60, then you can use an FJ60 belt and adjust your tension with the alternator. You should study the FJ60 belt layout, as it's pretty slick and clean for this.

After I had the pump mounted, I made a mini PS cooler out of a 4' piece of flared brake line (I cut off the ferrules with a hacksaw and left the flares on the end to help hold the hose). I installed the cooler on the return line, between the box and the pump. I bent the 4' line into an oblong 'u' shape (to make it compact) and put it behind the driver's side headlight, against the inner fenderwell. You could mount such a cooler in many places, as long as it has some air flow.

I made brackets out of shallow 'c' channel that attach to the water pump and to the shock tower, and have been running a minitruck pump that way for 15 years. I ultimately welded a stud with a nut in the middle so that I could tighten down the water pump stud with a wrench, and then hang the PS bracket off the protruding end of the stud. You can also just weld two bolts 'head to head' and grind them down to accomplish this.

You could do all of this with an FJ60 pump. As long as the reservoir is higher than the box (which it surely will be) you should have no issues. If you have removed the smog pump, you'll have even more places you can mount the pump. *If* you mount the pump right where it would be on an FJ60, then you can use an FJ60 belt and adjust your tension with the alternator. You should study the FJ60 belt layout, as it's pretty slick and clean for this.

After I had the pump mounted, I made a mini PS cooler out of a 4' piece of flared brake line (I cut off the ferrules with a hacksaw and left the flares on the end to help hold the hose). I installed the cooler on the return line, between the box and the pump. I bent the 4' line into an oblong 'u' shape (to make it compact) and put it behind the driver's side headlight, against the inner fenderwell. You could mount such a cooler in many places, as long as it has some air flow.

do you have a pic of this "c" channel set up???? Please post it.

Why no just drill and tap the block like on the 79 and above fj40's. Use
the smog pump for your belt tensioning.

Why no just drill and tap the block like on the 79 and above fj40's. Use
the smog pump for your belt tensioning.

smog pump just tightens the water pump belt

alternator tightens the power steering belt.

I've got a brcket that was made to use the stock pump on an earlier engine.
pics friday.

I mounted mine to the smog bracket, but I had to grind it a bit to get it to fit. I also added a spacer that I found at Ace. I made a make shift tensioner that mounts to one of the water pump bolts. I will fab up a better one later once my restoration nears completion.
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1016.jpg
IMG_1017.jpg

Several people have mounted FJ60/later FJ40 power steering pumps using the smog pump brackets. Higher would be better, but most folks don't go into that deep of water normally anyway.

I have the Saginaw pump mounted using the head bolt bracket, and have no issues from loosening and retightening the head bolts. Not the best solution, IMO, but it works.

Pictures taken from this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-wy-hors...g-conversion-fj40-while-keeping-air-pump.html

Later 2F's have a flat on the engine block for mounting the pump:
attachment.php

Earlier 2F's do not. This will make it a little harder to "just drill holes" to mount the p/s pump. Not to mention the difficulty/risk of drilling holes in cast iron:
attachment.php

CCOT used to have a kit that had some brackets that would allow a stock p/s pump to be mounted to an earlier block, but good luck finding this anymore:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I picked this up at a swap meet. it was said to come off a pre 79 block but positioned the pump close to a stock location. I think it uses the EGR holes and a bolt on the water pump.
P2100004.jpg
P2100005.jpg
P2100006.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use a volvo pulley and a 5/8" shaft here? Looks good, I am going to do the same with mine.

Belt wrap

Ideally you'd want the belt to wrap the p.s. pulley 50% to prevent belt squeak, which means the belt going to p.s. pump wouldn't go to a third thing, merely crank to p.s. pulley only. Broth9640 set up looks fairly good (even though it goes crank/water pump/p.s. pulley) because it's belt wraps the pulley darn near 50%. And why is this important to off roaders you ask??? Because in off road terrain every time your front tire comes up to a boulder, the boulder wants to turn the tire to the right or left. That is 1,000% the same as you turning your steering wheel to full right or left lock on the highway, pump binds, belt slips, belt squeaks. In off road terrain, if you didn't have enough belt wrap around the p.s. pulley your belt would be squeaking all day long (at every boulder), even when your tires are pointing straight forward.

Second in line if @Delancy decides to pass on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom