Power Seat Problem - Fore & Aft Adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m perplexed… My front passenger seat stopped working when the little white cap fell out and my son kept trying to move the seat. It bound up, I noticed, and had him stop. After searching Mud, I tried to fix it, and even ordered a new gear ass’y (P/N 72206-30040). I put in the new part, and it still doesn’t work. The seat binds and it stops. I have taken apart & re-assembled the threaded adjusting rods, being very careful about the alignment (counting threads & measuring). It still doesn’t work properly.

A fellow Mudder graciously gave me a seat that he had just removed from his truck. He remembered it as working properly when he removed it, but for some reason it didn’t work when I installed it in my truck. It bound up, just like my old seat.

After swapping the seats several times & trying to see where the problem(s) might lie, I noticed the following: 1) on the replacement seat, the outboard threaded rod for the fore & aft adjustment moves until it binds, but the inboard doesn’t move, causing the binding, 2) on my original seat, the inboard threaded rod for the fore & aft adjustment moves a bit, but the outboard one doesn’t, then the seat binds and it stops.

Has anyone successfully taken these seats apart & fixed them? Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your input!

I had something similar on my DS seat. I had to not only align both sides like you mentioned, but work the slave motor (where the white cap goes) by hand back and forth until the "axle" that the white cap (is supposed to) holds centered, was actually centered (so that the cap could thread in properly, holding the axle in the center position, which then keeps the slave motor gears engaged...at least that is my theory). Then I installed the cap and both sides threaded back and forth properly (and the seat now works).

Maybe follow the drive (movement) from the main motor to the slave motor to the slave threaded rod, and diagnose where the drive fails.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll continue trying to see where the hang-up is. I was confused (and frustrated) because the symptoms are the same, but on each seat it's different pieces that aren't moving properly. I need to get a set of metric allen wrenches (I borrowed my sons, last time) to continue. It's a PITA to try and work on the seat when it's in & connected to power, but fortunately it's easy to remove the seat. I'm getting faster, too, with all the practice...:crybaby:

I had something similar on my DS seat. I had to not only align both sides like you mentioned, but work the slave motor (where the white cap goes) by hand back and forth until the "axle" that the white cap (is supposed to) holds centered, was actually centered (so that the cap could thread in properly, holding the axle in the center position, which then keeps the slave motor gears engaged...at least that is my theory). Then I installed the cap and both sides threaded back and forth properly (and the seat now works).

Maybe follow the drive (movement) from the main motor to the slave motor to the slave threaded rod, and diagnose where the drive fails.

I used my 14 volt drill battery to power the seat while it was in the garage. I used wires with little clips to connect to the battery and the seat connector. Powering it up in the garage allows you to see what is going on while it is out of the truck. Much easier way to work on it. I am sure you can do something similar.

And yes, get yourself some decent metric allen wrenches. The ones with the "ball" ends are the way to go.

My passenger seat was giving me fits, I replaced the gears twice and the caps as well only to have it break again minutes after the fix both times. I sourced another seat's mechanicals from a complete part out, replaced the fore aft slide rods-ends-motor put it all back together and now no issues. I think that on some of the seats that are too far gone the gear housing actually gets wallowed out allowing the gear to bind by sliding side-ways a little. So the plastic gear housings on the end of the mechanical rods actually need to be replaced. Just my .02

..and this is happening to me too! Not bueno! Passenger side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom