Shackle Reversal...reversal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a PO installed shackle reversal with the front spring mount right on the frame. The mount is a factory spring mount that was cut off its original location and rewelded on the front.

My question is are there any companies that make a shackle that would fit inside the spring hanger mount? Similar to a Cherokee rear shackle. <--LINK (Link doesn't work - See picture Fast Eddy posted below)

I am sprung over with fj60 power steering so the spring hits the drag link - I know there are other things I can do to get around this, but honestly i would like to get the shackle back out front without tons of work and I thought something like this might be a viable option.

Thoughts? Reasons not to?

Last edited:
Link wouldn't work for me.
Why do you want to reverse the reversal?
I think it would be simplest to throw a shock mount back up front and use stockish shackles.

If you really wanted to do it you could make the jeep ones work. If you're going to have to weld the other end, you might as well do it right though.

day-kj60014.jpg

I don't really care either way on the shackle reversal. The shackle reversal makes clearance for the fj60 steering box setup a bit tight. I thought if there were a shackle available I would go that route and save myself some headache. Just poking around really.

The shackle reversal is also set up so the front of the spring is higher than the back of the spring - factory hanger welded to frame and shackle frenched into frame. I suppose I could cut the hanger off and weld in a spacer. That would give me clearance and a better spring angle.

I don't really care either way on the shackle reversal. The shackle reversal makes clearance for the fj60 steering box setup a bit tight. I thought if there were a shackle available I would go that route and save myself some headache. Just poking around really.

The shackle reversal is also set up so the front of the spring is higher than the back of the spring - factory hanger welded to frame and shackle frenched into frame. I suppose I could cut the hanger off and weld in a spacer. That would give me clearance and a better spring angle.

Or, weld a piece of pipe through the frame on the rear, and reposition the top of the shackle. You could also redrill the centerbolt holes to fix the steering clearance issues.

Shackle is already through the frame. The clearance issue is up and down clearance between the top of the leafspring and bottom side of the drag link. I need to install my flat pitman arm but that will involve notching the frame. Not a big deal, but if I could do something that doesn't involve me cutting my frame I would rather go that route.

Does anyone other than Sky Maufacturing make a 1" drop pitman arm? The ones from Sky are ABSURDLY expensive. Can pitman arms be bent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom