Project Turn-Key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
I wanted to start a thread on my new-to-me 1984 Toyota 4x4 standard cab to document changes/modifications that I have made, create a timeline and post wheeling pics. I have named the thread Project Turn-key because that is pretty much how I got the truck! Here are the stats: 22R with modified carb, 5-spd, Dual cases, Rear disc brakes, Longfield chromo axles, Chromo hub gears, cheap 35's on steel wheels, 3 linked rear with Fox 14” air shocks / trail gear joints / .250 wall DOM lower links / 3rd gen rear housing, Warn 8,000 winch with in cab winch control, Skid plate, Co2 bottle with regulator, Tool box, High lift jack, Cd player, Cb radio, Driveline tech drivelines (.250 wall main tubes / Long splines in front), Spare “4 spline” drive shaft that works front or rear, Disc brake emergency brake, 5.29 gears (lock right front / spool rear), High steer kit with heim joints, etc. The previous owner took amazing care of the Toy and everything was done complete and correct. I was able to keep the tires and wheels off of my Land Cruiser, so her "trail shoes" will be 37x14.50x17 bias Iroks and custom beadlocks. Here are a few pics of the truck before I owned it and a couple from my driveway as delivered:

1160022355_2784524249832.jpg

goatnov006.jpg

goatnov007.jpg

rubicon2010061.jpg

2012-01-23_13-37-55_644.jpg

2012-01-23_13-32-43_925.jpg

As I said, the truck is pretty much turn-key but there is a few changes that I would like to do:

1) Install my HAM Radio. This is a bit of a head scratcher due to the cab size. Heck, I'm used to an 80-Series!
2) Install rock lights.
3) Install reverse lights.
4) Wire in front aux. lights.
5) Install sand flag quick mount.
6) Install steering stabilizer. The truck came with one but I need to modify the brackets to fit.
7) Install rear sway bar. The truck came with a Currie Anti-Rock sway but I need to get a different torsion bar for it.
8) Fix the electric choke. This is the one and only mechanical issue I can find with the truck!
9) Replace CO2 regulator.
10) Install my emergency lighting. This would be for when I'm volunteering with ODF as Trail Patrol.

Like I said, the truck is pretty much set up and ready! I am very excited to start wheeling the new Toy...

nice rig! and i am impressed, went wheeling with a friend this weekend, in the snow/ice and came away with no damage!:clap::clap: yea for me, that is a first.

looks sweet but youll miss the a/c at mcgrew :flipoff2:

Yeah, it's one less thing I can give you **** about... Guess, I'll have to go back to your mom jokes.

Good thing we're not friends in real life.... Rear rigs are built, not bought! :flipoff2: :D

Is that like saying that camp food is stolen, not brought? :flipoff2:

It's a smoooookeeeeer!!!!
I give you 6 months you'll be back in an 80.

I guess this a way to build a small lightweight trail rig instead of trying to cut all the parts off the 80 and still have it be too big and heavy?

It more was a money issue for me. I loved my 80 but it would have cost me thousands more to get it where I wanted it. With this, all the expensive stuff is already done! Like I said, I probably will own another Land Cruiser someday but for now this is a better fit for me.

:steer:wifes got the 80 series gold package and push button diffs. I prefer the 4 cyl D.D. 4R (as you can sea) my current one is the gun metal grey.

actually I was lost on all the killer photos before, But turn key can be many things... I love the 84-89's

It more was a money issue for me. I loved my 80 but it would have cost me thousands more to get it where I wanted it. With this, all the expensive stuff is already done! Like I said, I probably will own another Land Cruiser someday but for now this is a better fit for me.
What I meant to say is welcome to the dark side :flipoff2:. I happen to have a stockish 80 for the family but still have my econo 22re minitruck for commuting and places that are too tight for the 80. I just wish my mini was set up as nice as yours is.

Chad, did I read right? Your rear is spooled? Guess you won't DD or run much on pavement? I want to put Aussies in front and rear on my mini. I was considering spools but not sure how bad tire wear gets and also if it would strain the rest of the drive train (U-joints & xfer case) for daily running around. If it were mine, I think I'd run the Lock Right in the rear and spool the front or does that make it too squirrely with the hubs locked? Just wondering - don't have any locked axle experience.

Last edited:
Yep, spooled in the rear and Lock-Rite in the front. It will still work just fine as a DD or on pavement due to the truck being so light in the back. I actually had a Detroit in one of my old minis and it would never unlock! It acted just like a spool. I have also ran LockRites in the rear and every once in a while they would lock/unlock when you weren't expecting. Not a big deal but something to be prepared for. If I was going to drive this everyday it may get old but the only thing it's going to hurt is wearing out the tires a little faster. I'll stick with my spool!

As far as the front, I have never ran a spool and I don't think I ever would. You would loose so much turning ability even in the dirt with that set-up. For your setup, Aussies or LockRites front and rear will be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom