Torque wrench, click vs dial (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
Inch pound torque wrench, looking for a better one than my Craftsman clicker. Don't like the locking ring adjuster.

Are dial versions supposed to be more accurate than click?

yes, and they don't need to be recalibrated either. I bought a nice used snap on (probably vintage) dial 1/4" that I picked up on ebay fairly cheap ($30 IIRC).

Why would they not require calibration? The dial torque wrenches are susceptible to the same handling and issues that click type wrenches are.

Neither is any more or less accurate than the other simply by design. Often times it boils down to preference. Same applies with beam torque wrenches although I've never seen how they are calibrated.

Anyone ever use one of these gizmos?
Electronic Digital Torque Adapter - Eastwood

Useful or crap?

We have one here in the shop, we mostly just use it to check the calibration of our wrenches. We had it checked when we bought it and it was amazingly accurate for the price.

TorqueWrench2.jpg

Why would they not require calibration? The dial torque wrenches are susceptible to the same handling and issues that click type wrenches are.

Neither is any more or less accurate than the other simply by design. Often times it boils down to preference. Same applies with beam torque wrenches although I've never seen how they are calibrated.

Torque wrench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Of course you won't be able to read this tomorrow when wiki is down. A dial or beam type is inherently more accurate. They are also simpler. The clicking type are generally less accurate, and have springs/clutches that can wear if not maintained correctly.

The dial type should ideally be calibrated, but there is very little to wear or change, that would affect torque readings.

Last edited:
as been said .. if you are working in bench comfortable position dial are great .. I have both and use the click ones while working in more odd positions ..

Mine it's a Husky .. been working quite well ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom