BritKLR's mini project - Limb Risers and/or Brush cables (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.adventuretoolcompany.com
So I'm on my Christmas/New Year vacation and decided due to the nice weather I'd tinker with the Rhino Ride and add some Limb Risers (aka: Brush Cables, etc...).

Reason: The trails around midwest all seem to go through the woods and the older the trail the more overgrown the vegetation. Also, last year I shredded the canvas RRT top while on the overnighter in Moab...

Parts: Large and Small two-piece steel collars, 1/4 inch steel rod, (2) SS Turnbuckle, (2) SS rigging clips, SS 1/8 vinyl coated cable, 1/8 Cable Swags and heat shrink wrap.

Build: I didn't want to cut, drill or weld anything to the ARB bumper or RR because of rust/structural issues. Researching MUD I found several different types/materials of Limb Risers (LR) that had been constructed, but they didn't appeal to me. So, as I researched the project I found some two-piece steel collars in a machine shop and figured they'd work nicely since they're built to hold some serious loads on a machine shaft. I took a 1/4 rod and heated and bent it into "U" shaped pieces approx. 1 1/2 inches long. Each piece got shaped to fit the collar and then welded to the collar. I used a Dremel grinder to shape the weld to make it look a little better. All the parts and allen head bolts receive a nice coat of black paint. After letting them sit for day I mounted the collars to the ARB bumper and outside edge of the RR, attached the SS turn buckles and ran the cable to the SS hooks, adjusted accordingly. Cut to length and added the Swags and covered them with heat shrink tape to finish them off.

Result: I like them. There's enough room to lift the hood without taking them off, but if I need too it's simply a matter of loosing the turnbuckle . They're adjustable to take up the slack that will occur over time. The only thing I'd improve was to add a top rail to my RR to get the LR up higher and over the Snorkel, but then I couldn't get my 60 into my garage...so, I'll retro fit the RR at a later date and then adjust the LR to fit.

Enjoy...Good Luck!
Limb Risers 2011 005.jpg
Limb Risers 2011 034.jpg
Limb Risers 2011 041.jpg

Very nice and well built. You da man! There is some cool stuff that comes out of mud!

The question I have is how would that keep the rtt canvas from being shredded next time? I'm thinking that making the clamp on the rack have a 8 inch high post and a similar 8 inch high post on the back and run the cable across the three points. As it is set up wouldn't it just raise the limb onto your rack? Then again, I have no experience with needing risers.

For a post that would fit in the garage you could use the mounts that they use to put the the large antennas or out-riggers on boats. I have no idea what they are called. Round two piece, teeth that grip each other when tight and adjustable when loose.

Last edited:
Where did you find those collars ? Those would work well for high-lift/shovel holder, for me.

Perfect. Thank you.

Very nice and well built. You da man! There is some cool stuff that comes out of mud!

The question I have is how would that keep the rtt canvas from being shredded next time? I'm thinking that making the clamp on the rack have a 8 inch high post and a similar 8 inch high post on the back and run the cable across the three points. As it is set up wouldn't it just raise the limb onto your rack? Then again, I have no experience with needing risers.

For a post that would fit in the garage you could use the mounts that they use to put the the large antennas or out-riggers on boats. I have no idea what they are called. Round two piece, teeth that grip each other when tight and adjustable when loose.

Good question Surf-

I anticipate adding a top rail to the roof rack and incorporating the LR into the the new top rail. I no longer have the RTT, but I do carry my Thule box and Oztent on the roof so it's the same problem. So I'll add some type of additional riser to carry the limb over the Thule, but make it removable when not needed.

Thanks.

Imagine a low-hanging branch, just higher than the leading edge of the hood and thus much lower than the roof.

Without the brush cables, the branch is going to slide up along the hood, mash its way over the windshield wipers, then scrape all the way up the windshield, then go between the roof and roof rack, and put quite a bit of strain on the rack's front mount on that corner before either breaking or bending enough to slide along the side of the roof.

With the cable there, the branch is going to slide along over the top of the cable, then up on top of the edge of the roof rack, then off (hopefully without smacking the roof or rear hatch very hard) at the back.

Sweet I need those tired of trees ripping my wipers off :lol: ... Been thinking of a hoop over my lights and mounting to it ... That would also help save my RTT if I ever mount it :p

Looks fantastic. These might be added onto my mod list one day, as there's quite a few narrow trails (with trees) here in CO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom