100 Series - CV boot clamps / bands (McMaster Carr) (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Website
www.pfranleds.com
The minute you start lifting the 100 Series, you better keep a close eye on the CV boots!

OEM CV boot bands work fine at stock ride height but after being in that position for 8-10 years, they are exposed to a great deal of new stress from the increased angles a lift produces. OEM bands can not be tightened so if grease is starting to seep past the boot, it is only a matter of time before you will experience a CV joint failure. This is definitely a case where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Once the joint fails you are looking at a $400-650 repair. The best solution is to replace the worn and tired clamps with bands that are strong, durable, safe to use on the soft rubber of the CV boot and adjustable. After much research I came to the conclusion that the McMaster-Carr bands made for soft rubber were the best possible clamps for this application.

McMaster-Carr smooth band w/rolled edges clamps

Specs:

-Made from Type 304 stainless Steel (both bolt and clamp)
-Rolled edges (will not bite into and cut OEM CV boot)
-Smooth band (will not imprint CV boot and then tear at it when tightened)
-Worm drive screw with no exposed back (protects CV boot)
-3/8' width (fits perfectly in the OEM boot band channel)
-Reuseable
-Rated to 26.5 in-lbs torque
-Sized perfectly for both large and small end of OEM inboard/outboard boots
-Made in Germany

Sizes:

-Large clamp (4-4 3/4')
-Small clamp (1-1 5/8')

Kits:

Kit #1 - (6 pcs.) 2 large, 2 small clamps (plus 1 lg and 1 sm for use as spares/recovery gear). 6 clamps in total. this is enough to re-band one axle and still have one of each size available in case one is damaged on the trail (or if you screw up and over-toque one while doing the install).

Kit #2 - (10 pcs) 4 large, 4 small clamps (plus 1 lg and 1 sm for use as spares/recovery gear). This is enough to re-band both axles and still have a spare of each.

Pricing:

Kit #1 - CV6 - (6 clamps) - $20 Shipped anywhere in U.S.
Kit #2 - CV10 - (10 clamps) - $30 Shipped anywhere in U.S.

Ordering instructions:

-PM me (pfran42) for Paypal info
-In the Paypal notes section enter:
---CV6 or CV10
---Mud name
---Real name
---Contact info
---Email address

Note: I have had issues with people ordering using the mobile Paypal app as the notes section never comes through to my end. What usually happens is that I get an alert with a name on it and an amount of money but have I no idea what the person ordered or who that person is on the forum.

With simple tools, both axles can be re-clamped in about 1 1/2 hrs. I would say it is a 1 banana job! I had the leaky CV boot issue and had to purchase a reboot kit from Toyota due to a torn boot. My new boot kit lasted about 2 weeks before it started leaking again due to driving conditions and the affect my lift has on the CV angles. After completing the boot clamp conversion my axles are bone dry.

Pictures:

IMG_20110921_135051.jpg

IMG_20110921_135000.jpg

IMG_20110922_005153.jpg

Last edited:
(NOTE: This post is a work-in-progress and will be updated over the weekend)

Installation:

CV Boot before

IMG_20110922_132015.jpg

CV Boot after

IMG_20110922_132124.jpg

Removal of OEM bands

IMG_20110923_032927.jpg

IMG_20110923_032939.jpg

IMG_20110923_033047.jpg

Install Tips:

1. Release the tension on the small clamps and replace the large clamps first. That way on the (larger) boot openings, you can keep pressure up against the boot so that it does not try to pop off and dump grease once you cut the old band. If the small clamp is tight while the large clamp is loosened, the whole boot will want to compress (unstretch) and pull away from its seated position.

2. There is a slight "edge" to the screw housing. Install clamp so that this side is facing away from the boot (towards the axle). It probably won't affect anything but since the other side of the housing is more flush, you might as well do it for peace of mind.

3. Once you have a small clamp off, you might as well feel around and compress the boot by hand a little to ensure it has the proper amount of grease in it. This would be an ideal time to top the boot off using a plastic syringe that you can pick up at just about any auto parts store. Two or three tubes full and it will be fully greased.

IMG_20110923_032848.jpg

Last edited:
What type of grease to you use for the CV joints and maybe a source of supply too? :)

schlite60 said:
What type of grease to you use for the CV joints and maybe a source of supply too? :)

I couldn't find OEM grease by itself so I just ordered a CV boot kit from my local dealer. Kit is $30 but at least I know I got the correct grease. Plus, now I have a spare of each boot in case I end up tearing one.

That said, you may want to contact Beno and see if he can get you just the grease. Btw, there are a few different opinions out there on what is ok to use if you decide not to go the OEM route. Just do a little searching.

- Sent from a very small supercomputer.

Paul
Sent a PM for Kit # 1
Thanks

Sent a PM for kit #2

Sent a PM for kit #2, but I need it to get here by Wednesday ... can you make that work. Many thanks.

Paul
Sent a PM for Kit # 1
Thanks

Got it!

Sent a PM for kit #2, but I need it to get here by Wednesday ... can you make that work. Many thanks.

Shipped @ 10AM this morning. Also dropped off package at post office so it will get in the system faster. You should have it by Weds.

Will these work for FJCruiser and Tacoma CV's as well?

Jeremy

Measure the diameter of your CV joint fittings. Also measure the channel that the bands ride in. Let me know what you come up with and I'll tell you if they will work.

Also, since you are the 1st FJ owner to ask about these, if they don't fit, I will refund you the full purchase price plus $5 to cover your return shipping costs!

Last edited:
I will get some measurements sometime this week. I am not sure how to measure the groove of the boot however with the clamps still in place. I will probably jsut be able to measure the outer diameter of the factory bands.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Going to measure, cause I would like these for my 2005 4Runner. Do you happen to know if they fit? After just doing my 3" lift I'm having seepage. :(

~Daniel

Pfran42,

I have emailed and PMd, no response. Do you have any more of these?
Thanks!! Merry Christmas!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom