M101A with a 100-Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a pic or experience with a 3/4 ton M101A hooked up to a 100-series?

For the amount of gear I haul camping (family of 6), plus beach trips, plus home/yard duties, I think this may be the size trailer I need. The overall width is within an inch of the 100-series width.

Thoughts? Pro and Con please. Thanks.

No pic of one with a 100, but here's a pic of my buddy's old trailer with 100 series rims :)

right%20side%20%28Medium%29.jpg

I tow a M116A2 (kinda of a flatbed version of the M101A2) which weighs a bit less.....but for all intents and purposes the same size.

It maxes out around 2200# and seems to handle well behind my 150 series, so my guess would be it would be a good match up for the 100 series.

It tracks well and I really didn't even know it was there....the bigger trailer wheels make it roll nice.
ROAMhome.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a friend who just bought an M101A3 for his 80-Series. I'll see if he's got any pics yet. We towed it 8-9hrs back from Oklahoma with his wife's Explorer and that SUV looked like a half-scale tow vehicle doing it, lol.

IMG00045-20110228-1844.jpg

Again, I'll see if he's got pics yet with the 80. :cheers:

For road trips I would forget the M101A1 and get the M101A2 or A3. You will like the wheels and surge brakes. I have a M101A1 with the 16" split rims with the NDT military tires. It's fine around the cabin for hauling stuff to the slash pit but out on the highway it doesn't tow very nice. It's a lot easier to balance the tires on the newer trailers. As far as size I have towed my behind my 100 series without a problem just bumpy because of the wheels and tires.

Thanks guys. A2 is the most likely candidate, though a 116 just popped up... with a 5KW diesel generator (bonus). titanpat57 - I read every post in your build a few weeks back... and enjoyed every step.

That one up there behind the Explorer... isn't the tow cap on that thing 1000#?

Thanks guys. A2 is the most likely candidate, though a 116 just popped up... with a 5KW diesel generator (bonus). titanpat57 - I read every post in your build a few weeks back... and enjoyed every step.

That one up there behind the Explorer... isn't the tow cap on that thing 1000#?

All the A1s I've seen are pretty rough, and the A3s like my friend's are much newer and more $$. That axle and Humvee wheels/tires are massively heavy (do the A2s and A3s have the same axle?). To be fair they are 37x12.50s. Still, it towed like a dream with 35psi in the trailer tires. The people we picked it up from at Ft Sill, OK said that auction lot was the best condition M101s they had ever seen and the tires still had the little rubber feelers even down the center row of treadblocks when we hitched it up. It's a brand-new trailer, and well worth the $700-$800 he paid for it.

The body-on-frame Explorer is Class III-capable (500 tongue weight / 5000lbs towing), but their's had a Class II hitch (250/2500). We had planned to take my FJ for the trip, but then he decided to take his wife and daughter. We ended up with a 2"-to-3" adapter with a pintle hitch bolted to 12" riser. I had my reservations, but it worked fine and the trailer wasn't loaded.

IMG00046-20110228-1844.jpg

The tranny downshifted everytime we hit an upward incline, but overall it was a pleasant towing experience. I think he said we got 15-17mpg at 60-65mph with that 4.0L V6.

Any updates on this being pulled with a 100 series ? I found some close buy for a good price and curious how it pulls/ looks with a 100. Pics would be great if someone has them.

Bump? Any info

I pull an M101A1 with an 80. I replaced the axle with a custom from Henderson wheel and run 80 wheels, electric brakes, and the same size tires. It pulls fine. The 1fz is a little doggy with 315s and a load but I'm never really in a hurry. There's a pic in the 80 registry with my 80 for a size comparison.

After changing the axle, there wouldn't be much difference between the A1, A2, or A3. The A1s are older, rustier, and cheaper if you don't care about looks too much.

Not a 100, but mine pulls great behind a 2003 4Runner. Should actually pull nicer behind the larger/wider 100. I'm not sure which 'A' model I have, but it does have the Humvee wheels and the surge brake. I used it to pull just about everything I own from Alabama to UT when I moved, and it couldn't have done better.

For the $200 it cost me (well, plus a couple of brake cylinders) and the room it affords, I couldn't turn it down. Got it in a lot, though, so I'm also stuck with a 105 also (no idea what to do with that one).

Any updates on this being pulled with a 100 series ? I found some close buy for a good price and curious how it pulls/ looks with a 100. Pics would be great if someone has them.

Here is a picture of my M101 behind my 100 series. Plus a picture of the reason I bought it, it dumps. I'm using a different style tailgate because it easy to remove and not in the way when dumping. I have towed my on the higway with no problem. The later A2/A3 with different wheels and tires would be a better option then the old monster split rims I have.
004.jpg
005.jpg

Awesome! Do all of the M101's dump? If so, I have to get one for my firewood trailer.

Wow thanks any side shots to see how it sits in respect to the height of your cruiser? Im running 285/75/16 with no lift but probably a 2in soon.

Awesome! Do all of the M101's dump? If so, I have to get one for my firewood trailer.

Yes this was standard on the M101. Some say it was for shipping purposes but what ever reason they do dump.

A couple of picture from Dec. 04 Christmas Tree cutting. The FJ62 was used to back into the forset to get the Trees the 4Runner was used to haul them back from our cabin to Phx.
img006.jpg
img007.jpg

I’ll bring the thread back to life I guess....

I love the trailer but I do want to do an axle swap to keep it light and change rims and tires out. It will be much easier, especially if you run into an issue with a tire. I’ll be able to swap tires or rim easily once axle swap is done.

Just picked this up yesterday from GovPlanet in Texas:
IMG_2022.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom