1974 fj40 reverse switch- always open? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So pulled my reverse switch and I am trying to figure out the normal state of things. When the plunger is out my lights are on. When the plunger is depressed the reverse light go off. Is this correct?

Trying to figure out why my reverse lights are always on (even in neutral, forward gears.) I thought something was sticking, but the plunger seems to work pretty well and does not need ot be depressed much at all for lights to go off.

So next thought is that switch is ok... it is just not being hit correctly by something in the gear shift.

Can anyone with a 74 fj40 confirm that my switch indeed should be:

Plunger up= lights on
Plunger depressed = lights off.

Thanks

Not much help but, I bought a switch from Specter's used parts and when I got it it worked like you said it kept the lights on. So I just didn't hook up the wires and used it to plug the hole basically and ran a switch to the dash (ghetto I know). My orig switch and trans it went in was a 73 3speed, I don't know what year the switch specter sent me was.

Of all things, I hate electrical systems. Beyond the basics I am clueless. Sorry not much help. Prob just need a different switch, I'd guess.

oh... forgot to ask, is it a problem if i have the switch out... am i going to lose all fluids...? should i put original back in until i get replacement (won't be driving it in the meantime)

Well if no fluid was coming out when you pulled it I don't see why any would start to flow. No there is no fluid up there except when it's being splashed up there while it's running. I'd put it back in though if you were worried about contamination like dirt or moisture.

Call me.

chaka said:
oh... forgot to ask, is it a problem if i have the switch out... am i going to lose all fluids...? should i put original back in until i get replacement (won't be driving it in the meantime)
I gave up on mine when I added the toy box, just not enough room.
The thread is the same as a the drain plug.

So does anyone know if I make a switch in the cab, does that get me through safety inspection? It says you have to have "functioning" reverse lights... well they would function, just not controlled by putting the vehicle into reverse....

So,

I have looked through schematics and have yet to figure out exactly how the reverse swtitch works. Should the reverse light be activated by pushing in the plunger? or is there something else that is always depressing the plunger, and then when you shift into reverse the piece gets moved to the side and allows the plunger to extend (and thus turn the lights on).

Sorry for all my dumb questions... i am just trying to figure out if it is my switch before i buy a new one (and probably get another wrong one).

So..... Plunger extended= lights on?
Plunger depressed = lights off.....

Anybody?

Is it a 4 speed? Get a mirror and flash light and look inside the hole, move the shifter into and out of reverse that should tell you what it's supposed to do. I just can't remember which way it was supposed to work. Just a guess, but I think that they operated opposite from older to newer. Maybe you just got a different switch.

.... Fawk I don't know, I give up... Wish I was of help

Next...

Hawk,
Thanks... appreciate the response... sometimes tough working on the truck alone... that is why i was asking... haven't mastered the jedi mind trick of being under the truck and shifting into reverse at the same time.

Guess I have to plead with the girlfriend to help

chaka said:
Hawk,
Thanks... appreciate the response... sometimes tough working on the truck alone... that is why i was asking... haven't mastered the jedi mind trick of being under the truck and shifting into reverse at the same time.

Guess I have to plead with the girlfriend to help

Well they are tough trucks you gotta be tough to do it alone ;) . If the girlfriend is too :princess: you could rig up an elaborate rope and pulley system, that is until you master the jedi.

My reverse switch is laying on the workbench so I just ran downsairs gotanotherbeer and ohmed it out. the switch is normaly closed. If my shift lever was installed I would have checked out whatever acuated the switch. Easy to do with the hump off.

Fj60 switches are on till hit reverse, FJ40 is off till hit reverse.. HTH..
When I put in my toybox I had to use an FJ60 switch to clear the adapter and now I will be setting up a relay system to switch the reverse lights.. But really I don't care what the people behind me think so it's way low on mylist.

Plunger up= lights on
Plunger depressed = lights off.

Sounds like a brake light switch.

Ed

OK,
TLC, I read your post and thought... "yeah that is what mine is "(normally closed= plunger up =lights on)

Then I read tornadoalleycruiser: that switches should normally be open...until reverse

now i don't know what to think. anybody with an open tranny PM me...

I am out of town for a week and all I want to do is work on my truck. Some vacation.....

73FJ40 3-speed reverse switch

Old thread, i know, but had this same problem.
Doesn't seem like this thread really answered the question.
After disassembling my 73 3-speed, here's what i found:

Reverse switch on top of 1973 3-speed trans at base of shifter
Reverse switch normally open
Closes when plunger depressed when put in reverse
Replacement switch crazy expensive
reverse switch 1.jpg
reverse switch 2.jpg
reverse switch 3.jpg

Reverse switch normally open
Closes when plunger depressed when put in reverse
Replacement switch crazy expensive

If you don't mind soldering wires, I'm pretty sure you could use one from a later model, or from a minitruck, or from an e-locker indicator. The minitruck and e-locker are for sure the same. I broke the end off of one once and got a replacement in a junk yard for about $5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom