1st gen runner window issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
Back window would not roll down, spent most of the day reading up and trouble shooting the system. Once you understand all the safety switches and wire routing it all becomes clear.

Lots of good articles, in the end it was the PO pushing two connectors together loosely was all???:mad::mad:.

All works well not, I was even looking at 12volt guys wiring setup to eliminate all the factory relays and switches.

No need, it works well not...:beer::beer:

Rob
1988 4runner 002.jpg
1988 4runner 005.jpg
1988 4runner 003.jpg

Couple pics of the rig and the Bj42 I had to sell to build this truck....
1988 4runner 001.jpg
1988 4runner 004.jpg
1988 4runner 006.jpg

I've started using 1st gen power antenna switches to bypass all the window BS... They are double pole double throw, but have two connectors tied together, so you have to think a little before wiring it. The only downside is that you can't roll the window down from the tailgate.... but it's a much simpler system that way.... Nice looking Runner!! :cheers:

I can't roll down my window from the tailgate now. Still need to figure that out.

The wires going into the tailgate switch have a habit of breaking, I've had to fix/replace a few.... But then again, there are separate relays for the different switches, so if could be a relay problem... GOOD LUCK! :flipoff2:

Really good article on how to change out the relays on the toyota board, soldier in 9.95 aftermarket relay from Radio Shack...

Really good information here..

4Runner Rear Window Cheap Tricks

Rob

Not to hi-jack thread, but this is one of the things I appreciate about my 80 series: the rear hatch & tailgate. Does any year 4runner have hatch & gate? Electric windows in the doors are bad enough, but the rear gets so much more water, dust and grime. Just seems like the hatch & gate is a better design. -02 :hillbilly:

Nope, none of them have the Cruiser-style fixed glass in a lift gate and drop-down tailgate. In '96 they changed to a full lift gate, but I think the window still rolls down into the gate. I hate liftgates, we have one on the Highlander and it's a PITA in the garage.

Nope, none of them have the Cruiser-style fixed glass in a lift gate and drop-down tailgate. In '96 they changed to a full lift gate, but I think the window still rolls down into the gate. I hate liftgates, we have one on the Highlander and it's a PITA in the garage.

I hear ya. Full lift-gates are touted for giving protection from the weather - :lol:. The only time they're any protection from rain is if the wind's not blowing and it's barely sprinkling. That is rare - at least around here. Oh, they do give shade - maybe around noon, but not much besides that. Never cared much for 'em. Even for hauling family stuff on trips, if you're packed to the gills and you open it up, stuff falls out. Might be nice for a cargo hauler. They open quick and give good access, but otherwise I don't think they're an advantage.

I've cooked many meals on the tailgate of 4Runners and my FJ62. So handy to have that table space when you're working or packing.

The other thing I hate about liftgates is how people think they need to SLAM them down. Kind of a pet peeve with me. My wife still does it, even though I've told her she doesn't need to. On the Highlander, I can lower it down till about 12" from closing, and just let go, it will close and latch just fine.

:p You can slow them down so they dont slam
I've cooked many meals on the tailgate of 4Runners and my FJ62. So handy to have that table space when you're working or packing.

The other thing I hate about liftgates is how people think they need to SLAM them down. Kind of a pet peeve with me. My wife still does it, even though I've told her she doesn't need to. On the Highlander, I can lower it down till about 12" from closing, and just let go, it will close and latch just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom