FAQ: Member Tire Choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went with Terra (not Trail) Grapplers ...

True. You will notice a little less pep taking off from a standing start and a little more downshifting in the auto tranny with 33" tires, but nothing too bad otherwise. In my experience, the break-over point for needing re-gearing is 34" tires or larger, but as in all things this is IMO and there are plenty of differing opinions out there.

I run the Toyo version of those tires (same company as Nitto) in 75/285/17 and they've been great tires and have lasted nearly forever. My only complaint is the sidewalls are awfully stiff, but mine are E-rated tires so that is to be expected.

In the end I went with 295/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers (aka the A/T). I think the M/T's would've been OK based on all the reviews; however, I think I'm going to get a few more MsPG with these and I won't lose much on trails.

I've had them for a little over 100 miles, now, and all is well. I haven't noticed noise, vibrations, nor loss in power. I drove off the lot with the lift and my old 285's ... so I guess I spared myself such things.

So far, I think these tires are pretty darned good. I come pretty close to hitting the body mount but I'm 99% sure I don't need to cut it ... no UCA rubbing ... the look pretty good (can't really tell much of a difference going from 285 to 295).

But now I have a "true" 33" tire. woot woot! Pictures to come ...

Thanks for all your help and advice. 'tis greatly appreciated ...

:cheers:

Toyo 285-75R-16 MT(33 inch tires)

2007 FJ Cruiser TRD 4x4 - 3" lift

Considerations:
Wanted a long tread life tire that would hold up to offroad use, but still driveable on hwy.

Performance:
Handles great on the road, some road noise but not too bad.
a little stiff due to E rating, but is worth it offroad. Air down and crawls over rocks very well, No chunking

Recommend:
Yes

Before
IMG_0093.jpg

After
100_0146.jpg
IMG_0093.jpg
100_0146.jpg

Demello Gear Reduction

Poking around the 'net I noticed that Demello offers a gear reduction [demello-offroad.com] for a mere $1,650. Given the topic of this thread I thought I'd toss this out there in case it helps anyone in their decision making ...

Poking around the 'net I noticed that Demello offers a gear reduction [demello-offroad.com] for a mere $1,650. Given the topic of this thread I thought I'd toss this out there in case it helps anyone in their decision making ...

That's cheap for re-gearing both diffs - my guess is that it does not include master install kits (with all new bearings). Even so, the labor to do this is considerable.

That's cheap for re-gearing both diffs - my guess is that it does not include master install kits (with all new bearings). Even so, the labor to do this is considerable.

I'd agree, nice deal though...

Finally took some pictures of my Nitto Terra Grapplers (295 70R17's). Posting from the iPhone app ... sorry if this post comes out crappy ...

Just had 'er detailed so she's lookin' pretty sharp!

image-272038544.jpg

image-3198154877.jpg

image-1144180912.jpg

It just barely clears the body mount ... Woot woot!!

image-2512638994.jpg
image-272038544.jpg
image-1144180912.jpg
image-2512638994.jpg
image-3198154877.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom