1HD-T 3" straight piped. Post install thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks, the only thing is that you have to watch your shins (or knees if you are short) on the tail pipe. I must say I can put my hand over the tail pipe (it is not hot) so I am not worried about burning myself, but I have a couple kids and i have to watch them. We should hook-up next summer on my yearly trip down to meaford, my mom and brother are at the cemetary on the hill, and I have an aunt still living in the condo complex at the bottom of the cemetary hill.

Check out Exhaust Direct online for the best prices for flex pipes and elbows. I bought my Moroso "muffler" from Mopac in Langley.

Yeah your link is from exdperformance's ebay store(aka Exhaust Direct Online Home) they seem to have the best prices on flex and bends. You can also call them direct and place an order and they can help you chose what you need. They were very helpful to me when i built my exhaust. Make sure your muffler does not have packing material inside. A steel baffle inside to reduce some sound is the only way to go for a diesel.

So since this thread has revived, I guess I'll add my update to it (though I did this well over a year ago). The straight pipe was just too loud for my taste, so I re-did the whole system with a small muffler, and it now exits out the rear, just behind the rear tire. I noticed approximately zero difference in power or response, but a wonderful reduction in noise. I can still hear the turbo spool up, and it sounds throaty, but its not obnoxious any more. I almost thought for the first couple drives that it had more power, but I realized that is was just me not being afraid to step on it since it didn't make such a racket anymore. There are some pictures of the new setup in post #43 in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/274627-rig-fortnight-cruisin-3.html

I suspect that a straight pipe that exits at the rear probably wouldn't be too loud, but I'm liking the muffler. I think the biggest problem with my side pipe was that the outlet pointed at the ground, reflecting sound waves back at the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom