My FJ40's - a 1982 and 1984 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there 40's mud people

Here's some pictures of my FJ40's down here in Australia.

The first one is my 84 LX with 5 speed box, power steering, front disc brake and in very original condition. I have had it for a little over a year and I plan to do nothing with it but keep it in it's original condition.

It bounces along the road nicely. It has a 2" suspension lift and is running 33" tyres. I even got the original Toyota toolbox when I purchased the car from the 2nd owner who had just re-sprayed the body and roof.

DSCN3854.jpg

DSCN3869.jpg

DSCN3866.jpg

DSCN3858.jpg

DSCN3855.jpg

DSCN3870.jpg

The second one is my built up one. It's a 1982 FJ40.

It's currently running a 350 Chev, but I'm swapping that over to a LS1 next month. Running lockers F and R and disc brakes all around. I have also moved the front diff forward and rear diff back and while I was doing that it got a shackle reversal. It has 60 series power steering and 5 speed box. Roll bar on the inside for any rollovers, sports seats, sliders around the front fenders, hi-mount winch with plasma rope. It's sporting a 2" suspension and body lift and running 35" beadlocked Simex Centipedes.

All in all a great 40 that I have enjoyed working on and getting some work done on it. It rides a lot more smoothly than the LX with the suspension alterations, and motors along quite nicely. I have videos on youtube under itsfromlawrence.

In soft top form, with Best Top
DSCN3874.jpg

In hard top form
DSCN3169-1.jpg

DSCN3882.jpg

DSCN3883.jpg

DSCN3878.jpg

DSCN3879.jpg

DSCN3880.jpg

DSCN3178.jpg

A photo of when I first got it in 2008

sporty405.jpg

and a photo of them side by side.

DSCN3170.jpg

DSCN3171-1.jpg

DSCN3890.jpg

DSCN3164.jpg

Last edited:
beautiful rigs. I thought the LX's came with a/c?

beautiful rigs. I thought the LX's came with a/c?

Down here they were an option apparently. I am looking out for a Toyota a/c system and just missed out on one a few weeks ago.

what does make a LX a LX?

I see that some have 3 windshield wipers

what does make a LX a LX?

I see that some have 3 windshield wipers

AFAIK - this is for the Australian market 40 and 42 models - an LX must have:
Power Steering
Front Disc Brakes
Three wipers with intermittent setting
Luxury Interior Trim (Zebra cloth seat covers, 6-seater with front-facing rear bench seat, carpet in the rear, plastic trim inside and rubber trim above the doors and along the join of the roof to the side panels)
And of course - the LX badge :)

I understand that the A/C was put into the later models to entice buyers to clear the stock to make way for the 60 and 70 series.

There were some differences to the JDM LX models, but not sure of exactly what they are.

AFAIK - this is for the Australian market 40 and 42 models - an LX must have:
Power Steering
Front Disc Brakes
Three wipers with intermittent setting
Luxury Interior Trim (Zebra cloth seat covers, 6-seater with front-facing rear bench seat, carpet in the rear, plastic trim inside and rubber trim above the doors and along the join of the roof to the side panels)
And of course - the LX badge :)

I understand that the A/C was put into the later models to entice buyers to clear the stock to make way for the 60 and 70 series.

There were some differences to the JDM LX models, but not sure of exactly what they are.

Gary,

My 82 car also had intermittent wipers but only 2 wipers arms. I have an LX window here that I'm putting on it so I can see out of all the front window.

The screen came from a rust bucket 82 LX that I stripped down as it was too far gone rust wise as it looked as though someone had parked it in thes ea for a while. I also needed some new fabric for the front drivers seat on my LX to replace it as it's torn, and I needed the 2F bellhousing for the LS1 conversion, but had fun and learnt heaps from the tear down.

Bracket photo's came out well, thanks for that. :cheers:

How are the centipedes on road? Looking at the same tires for my new dd that will be going offroad alot.

How are the centipedes on road? Looking at the same tires for my new dd that will be going offroad alot.

They go really well and I could not be happier with them. I also had a set of maxxis creepy crawlers, they bagged out better off road, but the centipedes are extremely good in the mud we have around here at the moment. For a mud tyre, I reckon you can not go past them.

Wear rate driving to the tracks is also pretty good as well, better than the creepy crawlers. The creepy crawlers seemed to weigh a lot more than the centipedes, and because I only had 8" wide rims ran the middle strip down pretty fast as you have to have their pressures up at 40 for on the road. The centipedes I run at 35 on the roads and only have issues when it's raining and the roads are greasy, but then I slow down a bit and I'm good.

I got the 10.5" wide, from memory, next time I would probably go 12.5" with the three centre lugs. The 35" measure 35.5" and the 36" measure about 35.9".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom