New leather and foam by California Fabworks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those seats look great!! Got my first tear on my drives seat a couple months ago, and have really been wanting to get them reupholstered ever since. I was checking out the Metric TLC kits for my front seats. Was the price comparable? I would rather get them done locally if possible rather than ordering a kit and having to install it myself.

Very nice, mine are in sorry shape too.
Thanks! It was worth the money - especially since I spent so much bad money before it (pleather seats).

Those seats look great!! Got my first tear on my drives seat a couple months ago, and have really been wanting to get them reupholstered ever since. I was checking out the Metric TLC kits for my front seats. Was the price comparable? I would rather get them done locally if possible rather than ordering a kit and having to install it myself.
I have heard good things about Shane's kit. I'm somewhat of a bleeding heart and like to buy from the local "little guy". I would call the service dept of a local BMW/ Mercedes dealership and ask who they send their leather work to. Make sure you ask for the service guys/gals name to give credit for the referral. My price was less than Shane's kit, and I got professional installation with the rebuilt foam as opposed to buying new OEM foam for a few hundred.

I got the kit from Shane looks nice but didn't feel right so I am looking to do it with 100% leather locally.

I got the kit from Shane looks nice but didn't feel right so I am looking to do it with 100% leather locally.

Confused with the comment "Doesn't feel right" Please elaborate for us.

It looks nice as it's an exact copy of the factory pattern in the LX and Toyota 80 series. You can't put LX covers on a Toyota and Toyota covers on a LX as the cushions are completely different.

The Toyota cover has a plastic strip that is covered with leather through the seat seams and ours is reinforced as this is a common failure point in the factory cover. We made this very difficult section perfect and strong!

We only use Top-Grain / Full-Grain Australian hides this is why there is a grain on the top side of the leather, if the leather being used is smooth, then it is the lower split section as leather is about 1/4 thick after tanning and split in half. If not top-grain it is much cheaper per hide and much, much less durable over time.

You should NEVER do 100% leather, not one manufacture does 100% if it's a complete cover as it needs to stretch someplace and faux leather vinyl does. If you do a 100% leather it will tear at the seams (french) and other or if there is a barbwire scar in the hide it will split there. Factory LX and Toyota covers are leather faced with leather arm rests and console covers. The sides, bolster and backs are vinyl.

We didn't re invent the leather wheel. we were educated and made it better., If you don't ask, you wont know and never assume, I did a few times doing these covers a few years ago and it was very costly...

Perforation SUCKS, there's a reason it's not in any Land Cruiser, it collects dust, dog hair, spills (formula or coffee smells great after a week) and it's also the weakest leather made as you have hundreds of holes that would love to rip like a dot to dot......

If you want 100% vinyl. Buy these Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Page 308 Land Cruiser Upholstery Kits and Seat Cushions

If you have questions to help make the best decision for you, email me at any time. MetricTLc at gmail.

Best,

Shane

Last edited:
I 100% love my new leather from Shane. The old stuff was so slippery from 16 years of use that I'm having trouble 'sliding' in and out of the DS like I used to between the new leather and the new bottom seat cushion actually having support for my arse again, but I couldn't be more pleased with the quality, fit, match and color of the product.

I am REALLY interested in the Brown leather kit Shane has listed, not sure if it is for the LX only, or will fit the 80 as well.

My biggest concern is installing them. I don't trust that I would be able to get them installed the way they should be installed....that is I would probably break or tear something trying to install them with my luck. :bang: Would rather leave it to the pros.

With that said, I think I would just have to see how much a local shop would charge for installation only.

I am REALLY interested in the Brown leather kit Shane has listed, not sure if it is for the LX only, or will fit the 80 as well.

My biggest concern is installing them. I don't trust that I would be able to get them installed the way they should be installed....that is I would probably break or tear something trying to install them with my luck. :bang: Would rather leave it to the pros.

With that said, I think I would just have to see how much a local shop would charge for installation only.

The brown was the brain child of Jason H who lives close to me, I tried hard to get him not to go brown, but he insisted, it's what the LX should have been and is beautiful!

Local shops charge $350-$400 for both rows with arm rests and console covers, it's the larger shops that try and stab you. I have a local shop that is a true pa and son operation and the best quality and care is taken as they have been in business for so long cause they are good and work of mouth travels. Larger shops when I call around that do lots of custom work ask for $600-$800 and I have had people report back with $1,200 est. But I stay with the small guys with old machines and tables in them.

My .03

Shane

Thanks for the info Shane. That will give me some ballpark figures to go off of. I will for sure look for the small shops like you mentioned.

Thanks for the hijack and letting me know my seats suck. Sorry I didn't buy from you, I wanted to feel and touch the replacement due to my past experience with another vendor. Personally, I love my new seats, and while the perforation might "suck" it's much cooler than my last seat, which was one of my goals. Regardless, at the price I paid - I can buy another set, have them installed and still save money over yours.... just saying.

Thanks for the hijack and letting me know my seats suck. Sorry I didn't buy from you, I wanted to feel and touch the replacement due to my past experience with another vendor. Personally, I love my new seats, and while the perforation might "suck" it's much cooler than my last seat, which was one of my goals. Regardless, at the price I paid - I can buy another set, have them installed and still save money over yours.... just saying.

I was only pointing out your belts as mine were close and nasty! As far as your seats, all that matters is that you are happy, that is all that matters....There is a lot of variances, materials and the list goes on. Now go clean your nasty ass belts to match your new seats.

Shane

Looks nice Mike. I like the perforated seat inserts. They look good. I'm sure that if you clean and condition them regularly that they will last a long time.
Also a set of seat covers will keep the trail dust out of those holes while wheeling.

Bajabound. Nice work.

I am going to drive to TJ with my own leather when I am ready. 7 years ago (yes time does fly) I did front and rear seats on a e30 bmw for $300 dollars all material supplied by the shop. yes, pleather but down to the BMW stiching.
BUt I can be considered a frugal spender.

Yes, I will risk it....

Confused with the comment "Doesn't feel right" Please elaborate for us.

The fit is perfect and the workmanship is top notch but the material feels sticky, hot ( not ventilated' made my bun hot and my back sweats), and doesn't absord Leatherique conditioner so I am not sure what material it is.

The natural leather in my 635 is 25 yrs old and looks/ feel like 80% like new so I want to use the same leather type to prolong the usage and comfort..

The fit is perfect and the workmanship is top notch but the material feels sticky, hot ( not ventilated' made my bun hot and my back sweats), and doesn't absord Leatherique conditioner so I am not sure what material it is.

The natural leather in my 635 is 25 yrs old and looks/ feel like 80% like new so I want to use the same leather type to prolong the usage and comfort..

I can only speak of my leather and not the BMW.

Our kits are top grain free range hides from OZ (no barbwire scars) , only the seat face that you sit in is leather, the head rests, arm rests, console cover are all leather.

The sides and bolster and back are faux leather, meaning high grade vinyl to match the leather, Just as OE does. Toyota nor LX used leather in these areas not only to cost, as it has to stretch and give. But in the 90's the leather they used was split grain or the bottom half and then smoothed and polished.

If the leather is new it wont pull lots of conditioners, dry yes. Vinyl will NOT at all.

Does this make sense?

Shane

Just a note, kudos to Shane for a nice product, installed myself, replaced the factory foam on the DS and still happy. Way more comfy than the hard slick old leather.

Shane I hate leather and love Toyota's gray cloth. What would it cost to get the two front seats in cloth including new foam?

Thanks.

Tare -
A while back I scored some used manual cloth seats. I had California Fabworks in Carlsbad rebuild and install new cloth. I couldn't be happier. Cost was about $450. Jason is a great guy to work with.

All four?

Tare -
A while back I scored some used manual cloth seats. I had California Fabworks in Carlsbad rebuild and install new cloth. I couldn't be happier. Cost was about $450. Jason is a great guy to work with.

To what extent did they rebuild/recover?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom