Builds The Journey Begins... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i just stumbled on this thread,,, ,great job!! i too am a isuzu diesel convert with a 4BD1T in my 55. love the engine, love the combo,,, looks like you do too, welcome to the club.:cheers:

I cleaned up some plumbing and think it makes for a much cleaner install.

Doug
002-resized.jpg
003-resized.jpg
006-resized.jpg

Looks clean Doug!

Hey what is the little vacuum line coming off the top of the air cleaner? I don't have one of those on mine! Are you running a vacuum gauge or something?

Don

The line goes to a air filter vacuum gauge. If you look near the intake hose on the canister, you can see the yellow clamp for the gauge.

Thanks for the compliments.

Doug

PS - Don, How's your swap working? I hope well.

Looks clean Doug!

Hey what is the little vacuum line coming off the top of the air cleaner? I don't have one of those on mine! Are you running a vacuum gauge or something?

Don

Doug,

My swap has been running flawless. I just got back from a 600 mile trip with my trailer and quad on the back and it averaged 19mpg's. Man, I love this engine! I love it so much that I just bought a 1990 NPR that I am going to rebuild and do an 80 series with an A440 behind it so the wife can drive one too. This will be a little larger project because I am going to machine all the adapters myself for the A440 to Isuzu.

How has your experience been with yours?

Don

Love it. But then again I am a bit biased. Notice any high vacuum with or without the snorkel? Just courious as I dont have a vacuum guage on mine and there was some talk with the other coal burners around here that I may be restricting the air flow a bit.

Clint

Like mine enough to put one in my other 60. next week another Isuzu engine swap begins. Just got back from an 1100 mile trip and averaged 20MPG.
Isu2-b compl.jpg

FLC,

Did you modify the AC bracket to clear the steering box like I did, or are you going to move the engine towards passenger side a little more?

That motor looks good, all rebuilt and ready to go.

Are you going to post pics of the swap, I always like to see how others solve the issues that come up with a swap like these. Are you doing anything different than the last one? A buddy of mine is thinking of doing this swap and was asking me what I would do differently,, so far mot to much.

Looks good

Doug

Doug

I'll start a new thread with pics when the swap finally gets going.

I built an alternator-A/C bracket from scratch to move everything up so there will be more leeway on engine placement.

By the time your buddy gets going on his, there will be enough of an accumulation of ideas on the various threads here to where any install issues have been figured out.

Doug720, got a couple of questions for you.

I see that there were issues with the Oil Filter and Driveshaft clearance issues, you started with swapping to a 4BDT-1 Oil Filter housing, as well as using the shorter Oil Filter. That did not work, so you went with a Remote Oil Filter. Here is the question;

If you went with the Remote Oil Filter form the begining, would a Lift even be necessary??

I am pretty close to having enough pennies saved up to do a swap, but my cruiser does not have a lift, and I do not want one!

I like the idea of the 4BDT-1/2, because of parts expense and ease of obtaining parts.

Would this be possible?

Thanks,

Richard

Doug720, got a couple of questions for you.

I see that there were issues with the Oil Filter and Drive-shaft clearance issues, you started with swapping to a 4BDT-1 Oil Filter housing, as well as using the shorter Oil Filter. That did not work, so you went with a Remote Oil Filter. Here is the question;

If you went with the Remote Oil Filter form the beginning, would a Lift even be necessary??

I am pretty close to having enough pennies saved up to do a swap, but my cruiser does not have a lift, and I do not want one!

I like the idea of the 4BDT-1/2, because of parts expense and ease of obtaining parts.

Would this be possible?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Richard,

The issues with drive shaft clearance was with the stock 4BD2 oil filter which ends up sitting right over the front u-joint. I tried a shorter filter that Isuzu makes, approx. 6" long vs. 8.25" long, but still no good. I remote mounted the stock 4BD2 filter head to the firewall. I never used a 4BD1 filter head, which happens to be a dual head with filters mounted at 45 degree angles.

I did use a 4BD1 oil pan because it does not have a large pop out right over the front differential.

As to lift, I think you will need a minimum of 3" to clear the front diff housing. Check some of my posts and look at the pictures and discussion I had with fl cruiser. You can see some of the clearances and a tape measure is viable in some pics.

Fl Cruiser is doing a 4BD2 to 60 swap right now here on mud - https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/521840-isuzu-round2.html

He also posted a picture of his new engine a few posts above this one.

He is using a NV4500? trans and his engine is going to sit further forward than mine. My H55/Transfer case sit in the stock position with no drive shaft mods. Check outs FLC's swap and ask him about his clearance,it might be different.

Doug

I concur with Doug. A minimum of 3' lift is necessary. The engine is tall. W/O a lift even if you get the front of the engine and fan up against the hood, the oil pan will be resting on the differential.

It's challenging enough with a 3" lift.
With the engine 2 1/2" forward (it does provide extra oil filter to drive shaft clearance), I found there's only an 1 1/2" oil pan to diff clearance, and that's with a 3" lift.
Having the engine in it's original location would probably increase oil pan to diff clearance by almost another 1". Still not enough.

A GM 6.2 is the only other non-Toyota diesel i know of suitable for a 60 that will fit w/o a lift.
They're easy to get parts for.

Doug, I'm planning on doing a 4BD swap in my 80, the big question is how did you get it registered? I have talked to smog refs, the DMV, and read till my eyes have bled, but have no clue how a swap like this is legal. The refs I talked to were swap nazis and talked to me as though I were asking them if I could take a dump in their hands. When I found one that would explain the rules, he was very clear about what was ok and what was not. (Class three or better engines in class two vehicles are not ok). When I talked to the DMV they knew NOTHING! It was amazing, I have talked to ten year olds who know more about the subject of registering vehicles. I have learned that there is a "statement of facts form" all one must do is change the fuel type from gas to diesel and if one passes a visual inspection, then one is in the "club" so to speak. Judging by the vast knowledge the clerks that I spoke to poses I would be afraid that they wouldn't be able to form a coherent sentence, let alone have the ability to tell if an engine belongs to vehicle "X" or vehicle "Y". Ok, enough of my rant. What's the best method? Try to ref it out or throw the dice at the DMV? Or is there a way that I don't know about? What did you do?
Thanks,
Mat.

So here is a question regarding the stock height discussion....
With the 4BD1T oil pan added and a remote oil filter relocation could one get away with stock height or a 2.5" lift?

Doug, I'm planning on doing a 4BD swap in my 80, the big question is how did you get it registered? I have talked to smog refs, the DMV, and read till my eyes have bled, but have no clue how a swap like this is legal. The refs I talked to were swap nazis and talked to me as though I were asking them if I could take a dump in their hands. When I found one that would explain the rules, he was very clear about what was ok and what was not. (Class three or better engines in class two vehicles are not ok). When I talked to the DMV they knew NOTHING! It was amazing, I have talked to ten year olds who know more about the subject of registering vehicles. I have learned that there is a "statement of facts form" all one must do is change the fuel type from gas to diesel and if one passes a visual inspection, then one is in the "club" so to speak. Judging by the vast knowledge the clerks that I spoke to poses I would be afraid that they wouldn't be able to form a coherent sentence, let alone have the ability to tell if an engine belongs to vehicle "X" or vehicle "Y". Ok, enough of my rant. What's the best method? Try to ref it out or throw the dice at the DMV? Or is there a way that I don't know about? What did you do?
Thanks,
Mat.

PM sent

So here is a question regarding the stock height discussion....
With the 4BD1T oil pan added and a remote oil filter relocation could one get away with stock height or a 2.5" lift?

The only difference between the 4BD1 and 4BD2 oil pans is the extra capacity bump on the side. With the 2 oil pan bump, you would need a huge lift to clear the differential pumpkin housing,

The remote filter relocation, at least for my install, was needed to clear the front drive shaft with my 3" lift.

2.5" of lift would be very close in certain conditions. Depending on where you placed the engine in the chassis, it may or may not work. I kept the H55 transmission, transfer case, driveshafts and diffs. in the stock positions with stock mounts. I also kept the stock driveshaft angles to minimize vibration issues.

I know others who have moved things around in the chassis and used non-stock transmissions. This may allow you to get by with 2,5" of lift.

I have some pictures posted that show some clearences on my swap, and flcruiser, dirtgypsy and others have posted pictures and threads about the 4BD1/2 swaps. Each has done their swap a little differently, but all seem to think around 3" of lift is about the minimum you need.

I you need a specific measurement or picture of something, let me know and I will get it to you. I'm sure the others I listed would do the same.

flcruiser is doing a swap currently and this is his second 4BD project.

This is good swap that works well, fits well, but does require some lift.

Doug

Very cool build, nessecity is the mother of invention.

How much trouble would a driver side diff and tcase be? and would that eleminate the need for a lift?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom