ol'Jenny Storage Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.source3.com
Since I do not use the backseats I removed them to increase storage for an up coming trip to central Colorado. The storage/shelving unit is modular and can be unbolted and removed.

For the past 20+ years I have used rigid storage bins with hinged tops. I recently found four more at Home Depot. There stackable and do not collapse on one another like the cheaper ones commonly found. I will need to slightly modify the top shelf when I install a rollbar (next on the list).

The wood is 3/4" oak plywood. The strapping is from Cascade Outfitter, the supplier I use for my river running gear. The footman loops are 1".

Photo conceptualizing placement of large items. Other camping stuff will fit around the bulk items:

IMG_2207.jpg

Photo of shelving without bulk items and straping:

IMG_2219.jpg

I offset the middle divider and left 10" of space at the bulkhead between the stop and wheel well to allow longer items to fit (in background; more photos of 10" spacing follows). The offset divider allows me to put a storage bin lengthwise to the right of the divider, and two storage bins crosswise to the left of the divider"

IMG_2216.jpg

Photos showing 10" spacing at bulkhead:

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

I used the same bolt holes that held down the hardtop to secure the top shelf:

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

Misc. photos of strapping:

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

I took advantage of some holes made by the previous owner and my wifes cargo net from her Subaru:

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

Since I only had 2' cam loop straps I had to use various lengths of cam straps between the cam loops:

IMG_2234.jpg

Last edited:
Good work!

Some good ideas there, thanks for posting. I'm still figuring out what to do with the back of mine. I may do something similar, except with the shelf laying directly on the wheel wells. Or. I may just make a box with hinged top-lids (so I could get to stuff in the box without opening the ambi doors if I needed to).

Looks like a good setup. Would be interested on your opinions on it after the trip.:beer:

Worked great. No complaints.

I took another trip a week later for work which required tying down three large coolers of soil samples cooled on ice on the top shelf with camping equipment below.

What? No pics of her fully loaded?

:frown:

C'mon Andrew; inquiring minds want to know!

:)

Pretty slick looking

Somehow I just KNEW you'd have a pic.;)

The best storage systems are the ones that actually get used, like yours, not the ones built by webwheelers, for webwheelers.

Give it time and you may find alternative uses for the passenger seating area as well.:idea:

Best

Mark A.

I've been using this same set up but on the wheel wells. I can fit so much more stuff in just because the surface is flat all the way across. Mine is still temporary but I can say that this is a very usable set up.

Nice work. I'm looking for a good way to tie stuff down. I'd like to have an equally simple method that is recessed when not in use. Currently I use the threaded holes for the jump seats but they are too high.

Lookin good-

Pete

...And how "it" sits fully loaded with aux rear gas tank full. Very little sag with 2.5" OME Heavy Duty Springs (thanks Kurt!)...

Thank you!

Looks great, a very practical setup... makes me want to get around to doing something for my 40. I've got a pretty decent packing arrangement but nothing as efficient as yours.

What happened to the roll cage?

What happened to the roll cage?

John, just a guess here, but since it's a '73, it didn't come with one...from the factory. And, assuming Andrew never takes the top off, he would still pass a TLCA tech inspection without one.

Best

Mark A.

My only suggestion would be to strap the cooler down via the handles so you can open it up in a pinch and grab a soda. A bungee on top will keep it closed. Great setup. How was the trip!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom