4-piston 4runner calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brooklyn

SILVER Star
Threads
Updating the calipers and rotors on my FJ40 and used the 4-piston 4runner calipers which are larger than what I had on the truck.

Tested the fit with the tire and the caliper is rubbing on the rim. I read one post and they mentioned grinding the caliper fins to make it fit.

Is the standard install process for these?

Last edited:
Depending on rims, yes. Shouldn't take too much. You could try 1/4" spacers??

1/4" spacers. I ground mine, but I got nervous it was taking too much off, so went with spacers.

Don't use spacers, it's just a little grinding on the ribs...

wheel studs, spacers, and grinding

Issue is when I put the new rotors on, the wheel studs were a 1/4" shorter than the original studs. Measured and the 1/4" spacer won't leave me enough thread.

With the wagon wheels, looks like I would have to grind more than a little of the fins on the caliper. It looks like I would have to grind the fins "flat or flush."

So, I know have to find longer wheel studs for the front hub and take it a part again.

Or does someone else have a better way...

re-do, longer wheel studs, and spacer

Thanks for the link -- ordered longer wheel studs and will go with the spacer...will see what grinding I have to do after that.

Hi All:

BTDT. Don't worry, just grind off a little at a time from the caliper ribs until you can bolt-up the wheels and they will spin freely. It will not harm the calipers.

Regards,

Alan

Issue is when I put the new rotors on, the wheel studs were a 1/4" shorter than the original studs. Measured and the 1/4" spacer won't leave me enough thread.

With the wagon wheels, looks like I would have to grind more than a little of the fins on the caliper. It looks like I would have to grind the fins "flat or flush."

So, I know have to find longer wheel studs for the front hub and take it a part again.

Or does someone else have a better way...

Don't use the spacers. The studs arent long enough (especially if you have dorman studs).

I ground the cooling fins down on my calipers. I wasn't the happiest about it, but I haven't had any issues.

I agree with grinding the fins. I did that on mine. You only need to grind the fins in the center of the caliper, not out at the ends too. I ground the center area flush with the caliper body and tapered it out towards the ends.

Longer Wheel Studs

Started grinding and then decided to go for longer wheel studs and spacers. Still had to grind, but not as much. Black wheel stud was the original, the short silver was the dorman replacement I started with before I decided to opt for the longer wheel stud.
wheelstud.jpg

1/4 in spacer and ground mine worked great ... there is enough "meat" to grind em only if you want ... I also run ET lug nuts though

Wheel Stud Info

Here is the part number for the studs...
partnumber.jpg

Did I miss something or do the words: "Do not use with wheel spacers..." at the bottom of the package get ignored ?

I've never had a problem with 1/4" spacers. Every cruiser I've had since 1978. For the last couple years I had cut them out of steel

Hi All:

Guess I should have asked first: what type of front disc brakes do you have on your '67 FJ40? :eek:

Regards,

Alan

Started grinding and then decided to go for longer wheel studs and spacers. Still had to grind, but not as much. Black wheel stud was the original, the short silver was the dorman replacement I started with before I decided to opt for the longer wheel stud.

wheel studs installed

Yes, I thought the same when I looked at the package. Used 1/4" spacers.

But, the new calipers didn't say "don't grind the fins off" however, if they new we were doing it they might.
Installed.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All:

From your latest pic, it appears to be Toyota 4wd mini-truck front disc knuckles, and 60 Series brake rotors you have on your '67 FJ40.

The right-hand stud in your prior photo is not a stock-length 60 Series wheel stud. The length of the stock 60 Series wheel lug is between the Dorman brand stud and that long one in the center of the pic.

Regards,

Alan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom