Smaller Oil Filter - Thoughts & Opinions Wanted!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fromage and I have both done 4D34 conversions on our cruisers. He has recently experienced some interference between his oil filter and the front driveshaft. While he had sufficient clearance while sitting on the bumpstops, dynamically the bumps must have deflected enough to cause some interference.

The 4D34 uses a pretty rare thread pitch on the filter, 26x1.5mm.

The stock filter is a WIX 51675/NAPA 1675 with the following specs:

Part Number:1675
UPC Number:765809141131
Principal Application:Mitsubishi Trucks
</B>All Applications
Style:Spin-On Lube Filter
Service:Lube
Type:Full Flow/By-Pass
Media:Paper
Height:5.981
Outer Diameter Top:4.282
Outer Diameter Bottom:Closed
Thread Size:26X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:13-16
Beta Ratio:2/20=6/20
Nominal Micron Rating:6
Gasket Diameters
Number
O.D.2.834

I.D.2.462
Thk.0.200

The following filter, WIX 51067 / Napa 1067 is the only smaller filter that has the same inlet size.

Part Number:1067
UPC Number:765809135963
Principal Application:Ford Ranger, Bronco II w/Mitsubishi Diesel (85-87), Mitsubishi Fuso Trucks</B>All Applications
Style:Spin-On Lube Filter
Service:Lube
Type:Full Flow/By-Pass
Media:Paper
Height:5.362
Outer Diameter Top:4.016
Outer Diameter Bottom:Closed
Thread Size:26X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:19-22
Anti-Drain Back Valve:Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI:270
Max Flow Rate:11-13 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating:30
Gasket DiametersNumber
O.D.2.874
I.D.2.600
Thk.0.125

The main differences between the filters are that the 1067 has a higher bypass pressure setting (19-22psi versus 13-16) and a larger filtration size (30 micron versus 6). The gasket size is also slightly different, but I don't believe that would be an issue.

Both filters list Mitsubishi diesel engines as applications.

There are no spin-on filter relocation adaptors that I could find, so that really isn't an option.

I am trying to avoid needing to purchase a lift right now... I have 30mm MAF spacers already, and I think with the shorter filter I should be fine... I just don't want to put the engine at risk...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Can you make a relocation kit yourself? That's what I did for my Isuzu 4BD2tc to FJ60 swap. I used the stock filter head which bolted to the 4BD2tc block. Here's a few pics.

Doug
DSC01929.jpg
DSC01930.jpg
DSC01938.jpg

It is hard to tell in this picture, but the oil filter mount is integrated into the oil cooler making it very difficult to relocate the same way you did. I did however find this 26x1.5mm relocation adaptor, so this is an option now... I still think I may try the smaller filter first.

WG Sourcing Products - Remote Oil Filters
IMG_8275.jpg

Your picture looks almost exactly how my Isuzu swap looked in relation to the oil filter from diff clearance. I tried a shorter filter also and it hit the diff when the chassis flexed and hit a bump. I had measured the the spring travel and thought I had an extra 1.5"...Not so!

If you have the adapter to relocate the filter I would suggest you do that.

Doug

You say you don't want to put the engine at risk, but a smaller filter with different bypass pressure and 30 micron versus 6 is doing just that....

Take doug720's advice and remote mount a filter, maybe even make it larger as long as it has all the same specs. Even swap it for a more common thread and filter size.

You could also lower the bumpstop, reduces up travel but it would save your filter. And you would have to do this with a lift kit anyway. Just because it's lifted doesn't mean you won't flex that travel right into the filter.

Tony

You say you don't want to put the engine at risk, but a smaller filter with different bypass pressure and 30 micron versus 6 is doing just that....

Understood... but there is more variation in that filtration/bypass pressure on a brand by brand filter basis. For instance, the bosch specs for the same replacement filter as the 1675 puts the filtration level at 16 microns, not 6. Unless I can find the specs for the OEM filter, it's all speculation as to which is best I guess...

Take doug720's advice and remote mount a filter, maybe even make it larger as long as it has all the same specs. Even swap it for a more common thread and filter size.

This is likely the path I'm going to take, just trying to find space for the filter... that's all.

You could also lower the bumpstop, reduces up travel but it would save your filter. And you would have to do this with a lift kit anyway. Just because it's lifted doesn't mean you won't flex that travel right into the filter.

Tony

I was planning on lowering the bumps if I lifted it. I'm not building the truck to be a max articulation rock crawler... so losing some up travel isn't a huge deal to me.

I guess the debate I'm really having is that I already have aftermarket shocks on the truck, so a lift is just a set of springs and castor correction away, which can be done for around $400. Relocating the filter? Probably $150-300 depending on the price of those brakets, which is unlisted. Smaller filter? $12

Cost growth reminds me of government aquisition, lol!

Hey guys,

This is really good information, thanks for finding that filter head adapter that fits the 26m thread, I had not been able to locate one before.

I called Baldwin a few months ago on this same filter and they told me that because the bypass specs were different, they could not endorse it. I thought it would work fine but have not had to try it as I only have a miniscule dent in my filter even after hammering on the truck, but I might get one to swap out at the next OLF. I would like to avoid a remove filter if I can, for cost and extra hoses to leak/melt/go bad. I also thought about making a custom adapter that would go from a 26mm thread to a more common NPT to allow a shorter fat american style filter to be used.

Hey guys,

This is really good information, thanks for finding that filter head adapter that fits the 26m thread, I had not been able to locate one before.

I called Baldwin a few months ago on this same filter and they told me that because the bypass specs were different, they could not endorse it. I thought it would work fine but have not had to try it as I only have a miniscule dent in my filter even after hammering on the truck, but I might get one to swap out at the next OLF. I would like to avoid a remove filter if I can, for cost and extra hoses to leak/melt/go bad. I also thought about making a custom adapter that would go from a 26mm thread to a more common NPT to allow a shorter fat american style filter to be used.

Well I got an email back from that company quoting me on a complete relocation kit... the block adaptor, lines, fittings, and the filter block. The price was... a little steep. Right around the same price as 4 springs from Ironman.

Since I already have aftermarket shocks, I'm likely going to go with a small lift and space my bumpstops an inch. I can fab my own swaybar drops and then the only other expense is castor correction. Since I want to lift the truck anyway, I'll just bite the bullet. I'd rather have the peace of mind of the correct filter in the OEM location.

ummm, both are rated for truck engines. i highly doubt that you will have any issues.

but

when in doubt, do without.

that being said, i would run the smaller filter on my truck with no concerns. you do have an aftermarket oil pressure guage, right? if so then install and keep an eye on the pressure. after 5000 km get the oil tested. if all is okay, then quit worrying and run it.

well, they are good for a "suggestion" of oil pressure ...

love your install, you have gave many another option for diesel swap.

well, they are good for a "suggestion" of oil pressure ...

love your install, you have gave many another option for diesel swap.

A suggestion is better than nothing at all!

Thanks for the kind words... but the credit goes to Fromage, he's the mad scientist that figured this one out!!!

So, any further thoughts on this? I am going to get the other filter and run it.

Did the company quote you for just the 26mm remote filter head? I would run a massive 2 quart filter with a standard 3/4-16 filter head, remote, if I could get just the 26mm filter head from the company you found. Then again, it would likely not have the correct bypass pressure.

So, any further thoughts on this? I am going to get the other filter and run it.

Did the company quote you for just the 26mm remote filter head? I would run a massive 2 quart filter with a standard 3/4-16 filter head, remote, if I could get just the 26mm filter head from the company you found. Then again, it would likely not have the correct bypass pressure.

Unfortunately they only quoted me for the complete package price. If I had to hazard a guess, it is somewhere in the $100 range for just the filter head.

I am ordering my lift today. I will space my bumpstops to protect the filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom