Rear Winch 80 Series (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
shadowlightpsych.com
Yesterday I received a request for information regarding the rear winch setup I have on my 80. I did the install almost 2 years ago now and did not take photos back then. Things are a little rough in these recent photos… so is my memory, but I’ll do my best to describe what I did and answer any questions...
2010, 05-28 to 06-01 Hole in the Rock & Moab (118).JPG
P1320548.jpg
P1320539.jpg

Last edited:
The winch is a Warn 9000. It sits on a piece of 6x6 angle iron... I can't remember the gauge. I used a die grinder to cut in on the angle on both sides, used the grinder to notch where I wanted it to bend, then pounded in the two sides to conform with the angles of the frame. Welded up the two sides, cut the hole to accommodate the cable, drilled holes and mounted the winch. Used a sawsall to cut the hole in the frame for the cable. The Slee bumper already has a hole (for a receiver hitch I think), just had to elongate it.

The plate mounts using the same holes as the bumper, just used longer bolts. Found some thick rubber sheeting and a strip of 1/4" aluminum at a local industrial supply store to make the flap.
P1320545.jpg
P1320544.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to locate the control box in the cab so I cut a hole in the drivers side saddle bag next to the sunroof drain to run the cables. I made my own bracket and used the sidewall of an old tire, drilled holes as small as I could in the rubber that would allow me to slip the cables through to keep it water tight. Used body sealer around the rubber on install. So far so good, I have had that area submerged at least a dozen times since I installed it and haven't taken on water.

Tried to find a place least prone to damage for the control connector...
P1320550.jpg
P1320566.jpg

Last edited:
... IIRC I used a 3" strip of 1/4" steel and made a bracket from the fuel filler neck boot bolt back to structures around the tail lamp assy, and mounted the control box to it. (The bracket gets it's strength from the gauge of steel and the 2 10mm bolts that hold it in place behind the tail lamp. The 8mm fuel neck bolt more or less just keeps it from rattling.)
P1320582.jpg
P1320583.jpg
P1320534.jpg

Last edited:
I modified power antenna switches to run interior controls for both winches. I think if I had to do it over again (and I think someday I will do it over again) I would have put the winch controls on the dash and run something more benign in the console like the hazard switch and security light. It hasent ever happened but I could see how setting a drink or something down in the wrong place when the winches are powered up could cause problems :eek:
P1320575.jpg
2010, 05-28 to 06-01 Hole in the Rock & Moab (129).jpg

Last edited:
Nice set up.

Now I will need to take some pics of my rear winch and post them soon.
We should make this official 80 series rear winch club thread.

:cheers:

LandCrusher80

Last edited:
Some good discussion on the utility of having a permanently mounted winch in the rear: Winch - Front or Rear?

Last edited:

Thanks for the info/starting this thread, Shawn!

Your bumper looks great, and that's an excellent idea using the rubber flap to protect the area from debris!

Looking at your pics, it looks like you kept the factory rear crossmember, and bolted the winch "feet forward" to it, and ran your piece of angle below the winch to protect it?

I'm still in the design phase of my project, but will keep this thread updated once I get parts off the waterjet.

CombinedASSY7.jpg

CombinedASSY11.jpg

Holy cow Tim! Do you work for NASA or something? I used a rusty old tape measure, a die grinder, and a hammer in the "design phase" of my setup... I don't know where you are planning on going when you’re done with your project, but I want to come!

So yeah, exactly, the feet forward (or backward in this case ;)) and purpose of the angle was to protect... and protect it has! It has taken a direct hit a bunch of times. The metal added a few pounds, but it seemed the most simple and effective design.

The rubber flap has worked out better than I expected. It makes the winch accessible as well as protects it from the elements. I installed the front and rear winches at the same time, and the rear, even though it is exposed to way more dirt, salt, and moisture than the front, seems no worse for wear than the front.

Last edited:
I don't mean to hi0jack your thread, but I noticed you had a gauge installed in your center console, next to the shifter.
Can you post some pics of this? I like the idea of having a gauge there.
Visibility issues?
Anyways, back to the thread.

Ok, Shawn, so I'm still trying to understand what you did with that 6"x6" angle. My first impression was wrong, and after studying your pictures more, and climbing under my 80, I think I finally got it! (Lol, I'm a bit slow at times, so you'll have to excuse me... :D)

Instead of typing up a description to try and confirm what I think you did, it was easier for me to draw up a model:

WinchCrossmemberASSY1.jpg

WinchCrossmemberASSY2.jpg

WinchCrossmemberASSY3.jpg

That's a rough model, and the holes aren't in the right place or anything, but is that basically what you did? If so, that's a great idea! And one that, looks to me, like it could be used without even having a custom rear bumper made up. Might be a great option for someone who just needs/wants a rear winch.

Oh, and please don't think that I'm trying to rip off your design or anything like that. The crossmember drawing I made was only for you to confirm that I'm getting the right idea of what you made. Also, this bumper will be only produced for myself, as I barely have enough time to make my own parts....
Let me know if you want me to pull the drawing down!

Last edited:
Uh... wow Tim, that is pretty incredible! Yes, that’s it exactly. And yes, I think this would work with any bumper including the factory setup... in fact it would be easier with the factory setup because you wouldn’t have to cut through that extra layer of metal. The only problem I can see is I do not think this would work with some of the larger aftrmrkt auxiliary fuel tanks. I know it will works just fine with an OEM sub tank however. Also, I'm not sure if it would work with the factory spare mounted underneath.

...Let me know if you want me to pull the drawing down!

No way! Your "rough drawings" are amazing! I hope others find it useful too.

But um, do you think next time you could get that drawn up a little quicker... and maybe get the colors a little more accurate? ;) ... Simply amazing Tim, you got skills man!

Last edited:
Shawn,

Did you run both + & - wires to the battery for power?

I had originally grounded mine to the frame near the rear winch but it was a hit and miss. Recently I installed a 38mm2 gauge ground wire straight to the battery; now she runs as advertized.

Land Crusher80

Mill 9000

Here are the specs of my installed rear winch.

The winch was free:cheers:. Originally I was going to put her go on the rear of my BJ74.......... but the 74 was sold in favor of another 80.
So the Mil 9000 went on the rear of the 80.
Originally the winch was 24V..... now she is 12V, new motor and solenoids.
warn M9.jpg

Attachments

• Military 9 DC pn 32055.pdf
    552.1 KB · Views: 300
I know it will works just fine with an OEM sub tank however.

Thanks for the comments, Shawn! I also appreciate your willingness to share your design with others. I plan to do the same once mine is completed.
I'll save out some flat-patterns that others can use to fabricate/have fabricated their own rear bumper like mine (if they want to)

Good to know that your setup works well with the factory subtank. I don't have an OEM subtank in my plans, BUT, I do plan to fabricate a tank that will work with my setup. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze a little more volume out of it, and wind up with a 15-20gal tank.

I agree, impressive! Mind if I ask what you mock your drawings up in? I recently have been working with Google Sketchup, just because it is free, though limited.

Thanks for the info/starting this thread, Shawn!

Your bumper looks great, and that's an excellent idea using the rubber flap to protect the area from debris!

Looking at your pics, it looks like you kept the factory rear crossmember, and bolted the winch "feet forward" to it, and ran your piece of angle below the winch to protect it?

I'm still in the design phase of my project, but will keep this thread updated once I get parts off the waterjet.

CombinedASSY7.jpg

CombinedASSY11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom