Nurture My Pig! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fitzgerald

Hey! Where'd the mountians go?!?!?
Threads
Anyone else out there a Reverend Horton Heat fan? I was rockin' out to them the other day and thought "Nurture My Pig!" would be a great thread title about my old pig.

I introduced myself a few months back on the Owners thread and just wanted to say hey again with some then and now pics.

Here are some from the early seventies (Springfield, MO area). I wish my dad still had that Honda SL350.
sl350 small.jpg
washin small.jpg

Last edited:
The old girl is in pretty bad shape these days. Here are some pics from the last few months. Cancer everywhere. Currently have the body off. Teaching myself welding / metal work, so I've got my hands full.
DSCN5825 small.jpg
DSCN5826 small.jpg
DSCN6021 small.jpg

Originally wanted to keep it a stocker, but with the condition it's in, along with the cool stuff I've seen so many of you do to yours, I'm thinking about some serious mods. I'm sure I'll have a million questions for you all when the time comes, but for now, it's just rust removal.

Some awesome history in that rig it looks like! An honor to rebuild. Welcome, and we ALL love pics ;)

Find a doner man Im a great welder and wouldn't try to fix this one.

Yeah, I know, I know. I often told myself the same thing during disassembly, but I promised my pop I'd give it a shot. Also, with wanting to learn to weld and how to form panels, I'll get plenty of practice with this old girl. Add the fact that I'm not building it to be anywhere as nice as yours, just something to haul the kids and canoes with, and I think I’ll be OK.

Of course, I’ve only just finished disassembling it, so once I start the rebuilding, I might be singing a different tune.

Last edited:
Fitzgerald said:
Yeah, I know, I know. I often told myself the same thing during disassembly, but I promised my pop I'd give it a shot. Also, with wanting to learn to weld and how to form panels, I'll get plenty of practice with this old girl. Add the fact that I'm not building it to be anywhere as nice as yours, just something to haul the kids and canoes with, and I think I'll be OK.

Of course, I've only just finished disassembling it, so once I start the rebuilding, I might be singing a different tune.

I think it all depends on what expectations you have!
The idea of bringing your Dad's Pig back to life is pretty darn exciting.
It sounds like your Dad is still alive?
I agree with htown, that looks like a rough Pig, but I wouldn't ditch it because of that. Not many people on here grew up with Pigs, and even fewer get a chance to restore the very Pig they grew up with.
Best of luck to you!

I think it all depends on what expectations you have!
The idea of bringing your Dad's Pig back to life is pretty darn exciting.
It sounds like your Dad is still alive?
I agree with htown, that looks like a rough Pig, but I wouldn't ditch it because of that. Not many people on here grew up with Pigs, and even fewer get a chance to restore the very Pig they grew up with.
Best of luck to you!

Yeah, my dad’s alive and doing well. He’d also love to take the 55 on another couple of float trips. So, since it is a part of the family, looks like I’ll be trying to rebuild the old girl instead of hunting down a cleaner rig.

And as far as expectations go, I don’t want something too nice. When she’s back up and running, she’ll be spending a lot of time sitting all alone along some backwoods river bank (no need to cue the banjos).

Fitzgerald said:
Yeah, my dad’s alive and doing well. He’d also love to take the 55 on another couple of float trips. So, since it is a part of the family, looks like I’ll be trying to rebuild the old girl instead of hunting down a cleaner rig.

And as far as expectations go, I don’t want something too nice. When she’s back up and running, she’ll be spending a lot of time sitting all alone along some backwoods river bank (no need to cue the banjos).

Hey, a Pig by the river beats living in a van down by the river! (thank you Chris Farley)
Man, if your Dad is still alive and wants to get out in the Pig with you then let 'r rip! Get that sucker back together and spend some time with your Dad!

Too cool. Love the old photos. This is a great story. Good luck!

I know how you feel. I grew up with my truck too. I was a year old when my dad bought it and he sold it to me when i was 16. Mine was pretty rough also but took it one piece at a time and am almost finished with the rust. Don't let some of these guys get you down. It can be done, it just takes the time and effort. Some of these guy don't understand the attachment we have with our trucks. I have had several Land Cruisers but will always keep THIS one. It may not be the best of shape, best running, or the most comfortable, but it is not replaceable. I wish I lived closer to you, I would gladly help.

I know how you feel. I grew up with my truck too. I was a year old when my dad bought it and he sold it to me when i was 16. Mine was pretty rough also but took it one piece at a time and am almost finished with the rust. Don't let some of these guys get you down. It can be done, it just takes the time and effort. Some of these guy don't understand the attachment we have with our trucks. I have had several Land Cruisers but will always keep THIS one. It may not be the best of shape, best running, or the most comfortable, but it is not replaceable. I wish I lived closer to you, I would gladly help.

Cool story and thanks for the offer to help (be careful though, my wife's parents live in CO and we've been close to making the move several times :) ). I noticed your ride when I first started lurking here and love the idea of sticking 60 axles under my 55 in the future. So, I may be hitting you up for some suggestions before too long.

Piggie on the move.

Looks like there will be another pig in Colorado. My wife has accepted a promotion and we'll be making the move shortly.

Any thoughts on how to best transport a FJ55 with no power, a flat front tire, steering system detached, and the body "resting" on the frame?

I'm thinking of buying some of those Harbor Freight wheel dollies, winching the baby onto a trailer, then using about 100 straps to lock her down for the ride.

Thanks for any ideas!

My wife’s job is in Colorado Springs, so I'm sure we'll buy a house somewhere in that vicinity. Her parents live in Summit County, so I’m sure we’ll be up there quite a bit too.

We’ve been trying to figure out how to get to Colorado for the several years now and we are glad it's actually happening this time. We’ve visited just about every city/town on the northern front range, but never went south to check out Colorado Springs (or “the springs” as a friend of mine has informed me I should to refer to it as). We hear good things about the city, so we're excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom