Unusual pets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Curious to see who else has some rather uncommon pets. Aside from our two cats (yes, there will be a dog when we can afford one. Hoping to find a Shiba Inu), we have Titus, my hedgehog. The wife (GF at the time) got him from a local breeder when I got back from my deployment last year as a 30th birthday gift. He's just as bad tempered as me, so we get along great :D

2011-04-07_21-34-16_511.jpg

2011-06-04_16-47-24_188.jpg

And our two chinchillas, Peach (the fat one) and Kirby (the mangy looking, skinnier one). She had these before we got together and until I met her I didn't know WTF a chinchilla was. They've grown on me though, and they're fun as hell to let run around their room and climb on you.

2011-03-31_19-28-40_693.jpg

2011-04-23_09-01-25_248.jpg

2011-05-15_00-22-05_253.jpg

The way they interact with each other, the wife now wishes she had named them Pinky and The Brain.

My daughter want's a hedgehog now...:frown:

Most of our favoites have been turned loose in the field shortly after admiring.

We rescued a mom and baby chin about five years ago. I attached a photo of the mom (aka Marge because she is large and in charge).

We will probably get a dog in the next month or so. Though I fear a pot belly pig is also in our future.
image-1935302934.jpg

chinchillas, those are great! Mom wanted two, she was going to name them Cuff and Collar - then they'd be appropriately named for where they'd go on the fur coat she wanted.

she also wanted an alpaca to shear and spin her own yarn. Looking back, REALLY glad my parents didn't buy that property in Temecula.

I've always been a fan of ferrets

We rescued a mom and baby chin about five years ago. I attached a photo of the mom (aka Marge because she is large and in charge).

We will probably get a dog in the next month or so. Though I fear a pot belly pig is also in our future.

:lol: that's a seriously pissed looking chin. Her coat looks pretty healthy too. Are you giving her volcanic ash for dust to bathe in? We finally bought a 20lb box of it from someone on a chinchilla/hedgehog forum that the wife is on ($50!) and after 7 months we're not even halfway through it. Maaaaaaaan can it fill up a vacuum too if you're not on top of keeping their room clean.

FYI chinchilla dookie is awesome for lawns. I've brought back some sparse, dying spots by sprinkling chinchilla turds over them after aerating. Much thicker, darker green and healthier than the surrounding grass now after a couple of weeks.

:lol: that's a seriously pissed looking chin. Her coat looks pretty healthy too. Are you giving her volcanic ash for dust to bathe in? We finally bought a 20lb box of it from someone on a chinchilla/hedgehog forum that the wife is on ($50!) and after 7 months we're not even halfway through it. Maaaaaaaan can it fill up a vacuum too if you're not on top of keeping their room clean.

FYI chinchilla dookie is awesome for lawns. I've brought back some sparse, dying spots by sprinkling chinchilla turds over them after aerating. Much thicker, darker green and healthier than the surrounding grass now after a couple of weeks.

Yes to the dust. They go ape s**t crazy when we get their dust bath out. It is a hoot watching them roll around in it. 20lbs, that should keep them in the dust for a while.

make sure those are not sitting next to a rabbit. One took a chunk out of the rabbits stomach once.

Spook50 said:
Hoping to find a Shiba Inu

I got lucky on my shiba. The local breeders sold to some middleman for petsmart or something and refused to take the one I got as her coat was to long. The breeder bought feed from our farm store, and I traded two bags of dog food for her. I named her Anu the Inu, or nunu.

We were told.they didn't like people, but anu greasy everyone that buys from us with a rocket tail, and lots of slobber.

Here's the unusual pet currently, we spooked her mom mowing one of our hayfields and she never came back to claim the fawn. She literally popped out as the mom jumped up! She isnt caged and comes for a.bottle in the morning and evening.

helping the government read my mind on a daily basis
ForumRunner_20110814_230152.jpg
ForumRunner_20110814_230211.jpg

Kept and bred ferrets when I was young. They're a barrel of fun. My favorites were my albinos. Need lots of training and attention though.

Curious to see who else has some rather uncommon pets. Aside from our two cats (yes, there will be a dog when we can afford one. Hoping to find a Shiba Inu), we have Titus, my hedgehog. The wife (GF at the time) got him from a local breeder when I got back from my deployment last year as a 30th birthday gift. He's just as bad tempered as me, so we get along great :D

2011-04-07_21-34-16_511.jpg

2011-06-04_16-47-24_188.jpg

And our two chinchillas, Peach (the fat one) and Kirby (the mangy looking, skinnier one). She had these before we got together and until I met her I didn't know WTF a chinchilla was. They've grown on me though, and they're fun as hell to let run around their room and climb on you.

2011-03-31_19-28-40_693.jpg

2011-04-23_09-01-25_248.jpg

2011-05-15_00-22-05_253.jpg

The way they interact with each other, the wife now wishes she had named them Pinky and The Brain.

Love the hedgie but the chin looks like a cross between a big ass rat and a squirrel.

Kept and bred ferrets when I was young. They're a barrel of fun. My favorites were my albinos. Need lots of training and attention though.
Yup I had a ferret in college and man are they a blast. However they are very much like bored house cats. Meaning they can and WILL get into everything. Vividly remember locking the cage for Icis when I left for work on day to only get called off shift about 2hrs in. Went home, opened door and saw the little bugger run out of the bedroom into the hallway, see me, get on his back legs with the "OH s*** BUSTED" look and then high-tail it back to his cage like nothing happened!. Tons of fun and miss them completely but never was able to get another.

I've kept tons of various reptiles over the years, only have a few now. I don't really have many pictures, but this is my 15 year old gila from Dr. Seward. These guys actually make great pets, except you can't really free handle them to much!

gila.jpg

When i was a kid i found a baby porcupine that i brought home, i named him Mr Needles. He was so small when i found him that we had to bottle feed him. I guess he lived with us for about 6 to 8 months.

He got along with my family just fine, that is until he started getting bigger. We found out that Porcupines are a member of the rodent family, so their front teeth constantly keep growing, because of that they chew on stuff to control their growth.

In this case my porcupine picked on the wooden legs of my moms dinette set to control that growth, and as luck would have it, my mom was NOT OKAY with that.

So long story short, my mom made me take him back to the forest, and let him go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom