Aftermarket Head Unit Install Questions, factory amp questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched, but I am confused about installing an aftermarket head unit in my 98 LC.

1st questions is, did all 100s come with a factory amp, or was it an option?

If it was an option how do I tell if I have a factory amp without removing my passenger front seat?

I just ordered a Pioneer AVHP2300 DVD. Has anyone found a direct plug and play adapter without any wiring mods? Does anyone have a link to where I can purchase this harness?

Thanks for any help.

You should be able to get a harness from Crutchfield for yours...I couldnt as I had the LExus Nakamichi unit and they used a proprietory adapter that nobody else makes or wants to spend the money to modify....so I had to get wiring diagram and cut wires and splice together.

just make sure they run a switched power line to the amp as on our older models it goes to sleep and that is how it turns itself on....newer ones use DAC but 2000 and earlier for sure use 12v switched.

You can bypass the amp but will need to run all new wires to your speakers and sub... that is my next move in a year or so is to replace factory amp and speakers and run all new wires...but the head unit alone made a huge difference.

I just bought an ebay dvd special and bought a harness from amazon to keep the factory amp for now. I'm replacing the stock speakers with some infiniti component fronts and 2way speakers rear.

harness bypass:
Amazon.com: Metra 70-8116 Factory Amplifier Bypass Harness for Select 2000-2004 Toyota Vehicles with Amplified JBL System: Electronics
harness to keep stock amp:
Amazon.com: Metra 70-8113 Radio Wiring Harness for Toyota Amp Integration 20 Pin: Electronics

2way rear speakers:
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance Two-Way Speakers (Pair): Electronics
component front:
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System: Electronics

I'll have less than $400 in the entire system. I just wanted to replace the horrific stock setup.

I just replaced my head unit with a Pioneer AVH-3200BT (2000 LC). I bypassed the factory amp using Amazon.com: Metra 70-8116 Factory Amplifier Bypass Harness for Select 2000-2004 Toyota Vehicles with Amplified JBL System: Electronics, a factory amp bypass. The factory amp is located under the passenger seat and pushes 40 watts on 4 channels. If you use this bypass you will not need to run and new wires to your speakers. It will simply plug into the output of the factory amp wire harness and then you will need to run the loose ends to the new head unit for soldering. The bypass also includes a factory power harness as well that hooks into the factory radio harness which you will need to solder into your new head unit. I know this is for a 2000 but it may get you started in the right direction. Good luck!

I also found that I needed to wire in some power from the factory amp harness. It seems that the power for the head unit comes in from the amplifier and then into the head unit. With a multimeter it should be pretty easy to figure out what wires you need to go where.

This website also helped me figure out some of the wires on the head unit as well as having some other useful info: https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/50596-stereo-faq.html

Here are some pics of my install:
Pic 1: These are the wires that you will need to connect between the two factory amp harnesses. The blue yellow stripe wire is a pwr wire, the brown is a gnd?, and the grey is the ? (forgot). Can find out if you need me to.
Pic 2: Finished product
Pic 3: picture of the wire soldering into the new head unit harness.
IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg

Thought these pics might also help:

Pic 1: A better representation of what wires between the 2 amp harnesses need to do

Pic 2: Shows the wires on the amp harness that need to be connected for auto dimming

Pic 3: Shows the wire on factory HU harness that needs to be connected for dimming. For some reason, the Metra harness did not have this pin.
IMG_0792.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg
IMG_0880.jpg

But how do I tell if I have a factory amp without removing the front seat?

Every cruiser should have one. Just pull the seat forward as far as you can and you will see it. It looks like this:
IMG_0769.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys, the are most helpful.

Last question...if the factory amp is bypassed via the headunit it renders it useless right? Is there a way to use the amp to push Additional aftermarket speakers?

Yes it is useless. It is a 4x40watt amp with factory wiring harnesses... You could use it to push some more speakers but why?

I plan on using the factory amp to push the door speakers and the two midbass rear speakers ( I replaced them with $26 ebay specials) and will add an amp and 2 8" subs Ive had sitting around for a year. I think its easier that way and didn't want to lose the factory subs I've replaced.

I was told and agree that if replacing speakers then replace the amp at same time.....or drive factory speakers with factory amp and aftermarket head unit until you can buy speakers and amp both and get it all done right.

Is there a way to draw power from both the aftermarket headunit and the stock amp?

Also, I noticed that the amp bypass harness is for 2000-2004 LCs with the JBL system (thanks Bamabrock and Shaggy), Does anyone have experience using this harness on a pre 2000 100?

Last edited:
Isn't the factory a 2 ohm system? Mixing new 8 ohm speaks with 2 ohm amp, or worse an 8 ohm amp with 2 ohm speaks (or combination thereof) sounds like low fidelity to me. I'd rather have a clean sounding, well matched, modestly powered system than 2/0 wire going to a mish-mash.

Is there a way to draw power from both the aftermarket headunit and the stock amp?

Yes, there are 2 power supply wires. Both blue with yellow stripe I believe.

Isn't the factory a 2 ohm system? Mixing new 8 ohm speaks with 2 ohm amp, or worse an 8 ohm amp with 2 ohm speaks (or combination thereof) sounds like low fidelity to me. I'd rather have a clean sounding, well matched, modestly powered system than 2/0 wire going to a mish-mash.

I am no audiophile so thanks for clarifying, It might have been a dumb question to begin with.

I am curious if anyone has experience with a pre 2000 100 and bypassing the factory amp, will the wire harness above work?

Is there a write up with color coding wiring to bypass the factory amp. I want to do this install myself, but after checking out Shaggy's pics above, it looks complicated.

The wire harness Shaggy refers to will do what you need to do to bypass the amplifier. You can also use a Metra 70-8113 and continue to use the stock amp and speaks until such time as you upgrade.

What about replacing the stock amp with a better 4 channel amp? Can I use the existing wiring for the stock amp to hookup an aftermarket amp? Anyone have experience doing this?

the speakers in a 2000 have 4 ohms stamped on the back. If someone tells you to replace the stock amp just because you change the speakers, then they are trying to sell an amp. Not necessary.

What about replacing the stock amp with a better 4 channel amp? Can I use the existing wiring for the stock amp to hookup an aftermarket amp? Anyone have experience doing this?

Yes, here is bamachem's wrietup. He replaced pretty much everything except for the factory wiring. To the speakers.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/98412-how-diy-door-speaker-swap-uzj100.html

Hope this clears things up.

The bypass was not difficult. Just keep in mind that the bypass (for my 2000) really only gave me wires for the speakers. I had to re attach the wires that typically were connected when the factory amp was plugged in. It was just difficult for me because I had nothing to go off of and no one telling me what wires went to where. Other than that, :banana:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom