How do you hide a pipe that runs across the ceiling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I have attached a picture of my grandmother's basement family room. You will notice that there is a pipe that runs across the ceiling. The pipe was covered with a fake wood beam cover (it was foam), that fell off. What can I do to cover the pipe, and make it look nice. I guess a pro would built a box around it, and sheetrock it? Is that the best way to deal with this? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Zack
basement pipe.jpg

Box it in with drywall. Or you could get a fake styrofoam beam to put over it.

Seriously, if you can't relocate it higher, you don't have many options.

Camo Duct Tape

27.jpg

Camo Duct Tape

27.jpg

Golf clap. That's funny.

I'd either go drywall around it (over a wood frame of course) or buy some nice natural wood and build a fake beam. All you'd really need is a table saw to rip down a couple strips of whatever wood you'd like and you could build a nice wood cover. If you wanted to go cheaper you could do a fake glue lam. Just put a single 2x4 on the bottom and stack ripped strips of 2x4 glued together on each side and it'll look very similar to a glue lam.

If you don't care, just paint it to match the color of the ceiling and no one will really notice.

Cut a hole in the ceiling and make grandma a chinning bar. She'd like that!

Otherwise, see if you can glue and nail a 2x4 above the pipe to use to make a fake wood beam. Nail some 3/4 to the 2x4 to make the sides. Use another piece of 3/4 for the bottom leaving 1/4 or 3/8 inch reveal. Some scotia or cove will dress up where the 3/4 meets the ceiling.
Fake-wood-beam.jpg

Based on the look of that s***ty wall paneling, I would just leave as is for now.

Based on the look of that s***ty wall paneling, I would just leave as is for now.

I was just going to suggest he use that pipe as a curtain rod and use that room as a closet.

I was just going to suggest he use that pipe as a curtain rod and use that room as a closet.

I'd be nervous that the weight of the curtain might cause the pipe to leak...

Buy another faux beam and reinstall.

Question is how much time and money do you want to put into this? What is the pipe for? New materials allow you to move that pipe into the ceiling but if you do that, you might as well remove the paneling and do it up nice.
comparing it to the rest of the existing room, I'd scrape off the glue from the ceiling and paint the pipe and ceiling to match and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom