Inverter Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to permanently install a 1500w inverter into the 100 soon but cant decide on the best place for it. I keep thinking mounting it somewhere in the second row would be the best choice but cant seem to find a place where it wont get in the way. Which relay or fuse panel would be the best one to wire it into I would like to be able to still use it when the vehicle is off... maybe some kind of on off switch to kill it when not in use? Looking for some advice:hmm:

1500 watt inverter would need a dedicated 125 amp circuit direct to the battery, which you will kill quickly if you were running full tilt while the truck is off. I would recommend an AUX/2nd battery system for that kind of heavy duty inverter.

in terms of location mid row is probably a good compromise giving front and rear access to the outlets. Of course it depends on what you are going to run off of this monster inverter.

Agreed. You need to go directly to the battery with some heavy gauge wire and an in-line fuse to run that big boy. And most inverters will draw small amounts of current even when nothing is plugged into it, so you need be cautious about plugging it into your primary battery. Turning the power off on the inverter when not in use would prevent the excess draw.

I did a short search and found this. You might find it helpful when wiring your inverter.
Power Inverter Install Kit 3
As for location, I would just make sure that it was not directly behind the rear heater on the passenger side of the truck for cooling reasons. I would also be careful as to how hot it got to make sure that it does not melt your carpet (assuming you still have carpet) or any nearby plastic.

Show some pics when you have it installed! Good luck.

what about keeping the inverter and battery close together and then run high voltage line (with a breaker) to where desired? you'll have more line-loss with high amperage than high voltage.

edit: link Inverter FAQ

A couple further things to consider:

I assume that you’re installing that large an inverter because you need the power. Pushing the full amperage through the inverter will generate a LOT of heat. Make sure the airflow is adequate; in other words, don't hide it.

Using a regular starting battery for that large an inverter will shorten the battery life (too deep a discharge), so a second battery (deep cycle with the associated charging circuits) is pretty much a given.

Full power usage of that inverter will discharge a 100 amp hour deep cycle battery to a 40% charge (the lowest state of charge that is routinely ok) in only about 30 minutes. The alternator can’t even come close to keeping up with that power need, and attempting to do so over a long period of time will heat it up and may shorten its life.

I use a Prosine 1800 watt inverter to power my entire cabin. So, unless you have some very short-term, high-power needs in your L.C., you may want to consider a smaller unit for use in a vehicle.

what about keeping the inverter and battery close together and then run high voltage line (with a breaker) to where desired? you'll have more line-loss with high amperage than high voltage.

edit: link Inverter FAQ

I like this Idea best wondering if I do this if I could mount two outlets on the pop out compartment above the middle row cup holder.

Does that panel above the middle row cup holders actually pop out?

I too was thinking about using that space for outlets.

A couple further things to consider:

I assume that you’re installing that large an inverter because you need the power. Pushing the full amperage through the inverter will generate a LOT of heat. Make sure the airflow is adequate; in other words, don't hide it.

Using a regular starting battery for that large an inverter will shorten the battery life (too deep a discharge), so a second battery (deep cycle with the associated charging circuits) is pretty much a given.

Full power usage of that inverter will discharge a 100 amp hour deep cycle battery to a 40% charge (the lowest state of charge that is routinely ok) in only about 30 minutes. The alternator can’t even come close to keeping up with that power need, and attempting to do so over a long period of time will heat it up and may shorten its life.

I use a Prosine 1800 watt inverter to power my entire cabin. So, unless you have some very short-term, high-power needs in your L.C., you may want to consider a smaller unit for use in a vehicle.

Mmmm good advice so if I do a dual bat set up should I consider something other than a car battery? Maybe marine? I am hoping to use it for various power tools working on a cabin and I don't have a generator thought this might be a viable option. Sounds like it might become just as expensive as say buying a generator...... Might have to re examine my options. Thanks for all the feed back

I'm actually in the process of installing the electrical for this type of project though I'm going with a 600w inverter and have already sized up the panel blank above the mid-row cup holder. Looks perfect to me.

Pics of the inverter your using? How far along are you?

:popcorn:

I like this Idea best wondering if I do this if I could mount two outlets on the pop out compartment above the middle row cup holder.

that should work great. you could even run some 12ga romex down the inside of the frame rail and mount the outlets on that popout panel. I'd probably want to put some time of a disconnect there too. ideally it would be a control to a relay controlling the inverter so the whole enchilada goes down. definitely want to be careful with having 120v accessible at kid level if they're present. what about putting it inside one of the two back cubbie doors above the rear a/c? that way you have some protection and it is less obtrusive.

Pics of the inverter your using? How far along are you?

:popcorn:

Well at this point I've mounted Slee's aux battery holder and have begun the wiring of the IBS controller and relay. I'll be using a Blue Sea 200A breaker at the AUX battery feeding a Blue Sea HUB 100 fuse box located in the cabin. The inverter will connect to the aux fuse box. This aux fuse box will power the inverter, on-board-air, 5 channel stereo amp, ham radio and aux out lets for a fridge and an external 12v socket. I'll be using an Optima Yellow top for the aux battery.

I havent purchased the inverter yet but I'm looking at a Xantrex Pure Sine 600. I'm constructing a drawer system as well right now so I'll mount the inverter to the drawer box. I'll pull the face off the inverter and mount it to the panel blank we have discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom