01 Sequoia with 220,000 miles..buy it, look for what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Duane

IH8MUD Wookie
Threads
Looking at an 01 Sequoia... 220,000 miles, can't get a service history over the phone so i will try the Toyota dealership route but....
would you guys buy one with this mileage? Haven't seen any around here that high yet.
Tranny still had a dipstick then so i can look at the fluid.
The rear hatch release has beeen replaced..sounds like a common failure...

Any other repairs due for this vehicle or things to check?

or I know..just SAS it like Pilot did on his build here :)

Looking at an 01 Sequoia... 220,000 miles, can't get a service history over the phone so i will try the Toyota dealership route but....
would you guys buy one with this mileage? Haven't seen any around here that high yet.
Tranny still had a dipstick then so i can look at the fluid.
The rear hatch release has beeen replaced..sounds like a common failure...

Any other repairs due for this vehicle or things to check?

or I know..just SAS it like Pilot did on his build here :)

You're definitely looking at timing belt, brakes, and 02 sensors if they haven't been done yet. And that's from a Toyota master tech on one that had 100K. Service records will definitely help. I know a bunch of guys on Tundra Solutions have well over 300K on their 4.7s. Good luck!

I wouldn't be afraid of it because of mileage but you will want to make sure you check everything out, esp. the timing belt. I would also only buy if I got one heck of a good deal, it would need to be pretty low. There is no indication that these won't run for a long time.

I wouldn't be afraid of it because of mileage but you will want to make sure you check everything out, esp. the timing belt. I would also only buy if I got one heck of a good deal, it would need to be pretty low. There is no indication that these won't run for a long time.

Well the deal might be $4500... so i am thinking that is pretty close to one heck of a good deal. Crazy thing is it might have been well serviced to boot..still need to find out.
I bought a 99 4Runner a couple years back as I drive them almost daily.... saw it on a Honda dealership lot not cleaned up yet..took it for a spin and it was solid,tight and smooth, found a dealership timing belt replaced sticker and stroked them a cheque then and there... turned out it was a 1 owner, fully maintained vehicle with a couple scratches and a scraped rim but mechanically about as good as it gets. Fluids all changed at dealer recommended intervals, etc.

Thanks SC T100..how many O2 sensors on a 4.7? 2? (1 before and 1 after the cat converter?) The brakes I can do myself, timing belt might jump into or maybe see what the dealership costs as well.

Last edited:
I was checking out mileage ratings and it seems like a new Sequoia isn't really gaining you anything unless you get a 5.7 Litre with the extra tranny gears. Maybe 1 extra highway mpg then... not worth the extra $50K to me :)

Well I gave it a miss.... the owners told me it didn't have any rust except the odd rock chip. Well noticed at least 4 rust bubbles coming up above the windshield 3 inches or better diameter each. Then out came the story about the hood being repainted and the front part of the roof above the windshield from rock chips and rust spots. Looks like the prep work wasn't so good ! :)
What a waste of all of our time.

At any rate bought an 03 last Friday with 120,000 miles on it for more money but the difference in quality was worth it to me.
thanks for the input:cheers:

Thanks SC T100..how many O2 sensors on a 4.7? 2? (1 before and 1 after the cat converter?) The brakes I can do myself, timing belt might jump into or maybe see what the dealership costs as well.

Sorry I missed your question. I think there are two, but I guess you'll have to confirm that by counting them on your new ride! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom