L/C 100 series as TOAD to motorhome - questions about tow yoke, etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an older beast of a motorhome....a 36' diesel pusher Bluebird Wanderlodge with 10k lb tow rating. Have been considering dragging along a vehicle for use when we arrive at our destination.

Thought about buying an old landcruiser maybe 40 series, but also considered towing the 100 - series.

I would tow it on all fours, putting the transfer case in neutral.

A few questions:

1. As for the physical connection to the hitch, can some sort of removable tow yoke be mounted that doesn't require massive modification to the OEM bumper?

2. Shall I just look at one of the big steel fabricated bumeprs that the hardcore offroad set are using? Seems it would be easy to have brackets to temporarily attach a tow yoke. I can weld and fabricate, as necessary.

3. anyone using their 100-series as a TOAD? Got any tips about connecting a tow yoke, braking, wiring lights, etc.?

Thank you,

Doug

This is the best discussion of the subject I've found

Need to tow 100 behind motorhome

Just to get everybody up to speed.

1. - I bet you could just weld your yoke brackets straight to the frame and then cut access holes in the plastic bumper.

2. - That would work and look cool but I doubt it would be much easier than going straight to the frame with your bracket.

seems like if you had an aftermarket bumper with 2 big shackle mounts directly connected to the frame sticking out in front, as many are, that it would be trivial to build a tow attachment that would bolt to these 2 mounts.

If you don't want to buy one of those ($$) and do care too much about the OEM front bumper you could bolt a couple of brackets to the underside of the frame, where the tie down loops/tow hook are and simply notch a bit the underside of the bumper. Less conspicuous than making a hole in the bumper I think. But that does not seem anywhere as secure as the aftermarket bumper approach above.

Now, having said all that, a 100 seem rather large and heavy to be towed behind an already huge RV.

seems like if you had an aftermarket bumper with 2 big shackle mounts directly connected to the frame sticking out in front, as many are, that it would be trivial to build a tow attachment that would bolt to these 2 mounts.

If you don't want to buy one of those ($$) and do care too much about the OEM front bumper you could bolt a couple of brackets to the underside of the frame, where the tie down loops/tow hook are and simply notch a bit the underside of the bumper. Less conspicuous than making a hole in the bumper I think. But that does not seem anywhere as secure as the aftermarket bumper approach above.

Now, having said all that, a 100 seem rather large and heavy to be towed behind an already huge RV.

Good thoughts! I probably will have a close look at the frame rails and see about welding some extensions that would extend past the front bumper. Either cutting holes through or better yet at the bottom.

As for your comments about the size of the rigs, I kind of agree, but this may be better than buying a whole nother vehicle just to tow around.

Doug

This is the best discussion of the subject I've found

Need to tow 100 behind motorhome

Just to get everybody up to speed.

1. - I bet you could just weld your yoke brackets straight to the frame and then cut access holes in the plastic bumper.

2. - That would work and look cool but I doubt it would be much easier than going straight to the frame with your bracket.
Appreciate the link and thoughts....thank you. I did read that one a while ago and in fact asked the OP about the tow yoke and braking setup they used. That was w/o reply. I pinged the thread again. Hopefully, I'll get the info.

Roadmaster indeed has adaptor bracketing pre-made for the landcruiser. Looks like it mounts to the frame, bolts on and does not require cutting the bumper.

Excellent info!

Doug

Roadmaster indeed has adaptor bracketing pre-made for the landcruiser. Looks like it mounts to the frame, bolts on and does not require cutting the bumper.

Excellent info!

Doug

It'll be even better when you put up the picture, part #, price and internet link. ;)

It'll be even better when you put up the picture, part #, price and internet link. ;)

Good idea, sir.

Here is the link to the vehicle specific adaptors by RoadMaster (use pull down menu to find the Land Cruiser version):
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
The Land Cruiser 100 - series part # is 1151 - 1.
Along with a schematic and installation instructions in the attached PDF. :beer:

To take this a bit further, I'm finding the prices at about $300 for the adaptor plates. That is independent of the tow yoke itself. All in, this sounds like a $1500 to $2500 setup, depending upon choice of brake lights, braking, DIY or Professional installation etc. Of course, finding a used setup seems possible.

Here is one source for the adaptors: http://www.hitchsource.com/roadmast...p-28072.html?gclid=CPPYrKe50akCFQM-bAod43fy6Q

Attachments

• 1151-1.pdf
    192.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
At $1500 - $2500 why not find a nice used tandem car carrier trailer and tow it instead?

The good towbars are 350 used, 850 new on ebay or craigslist. The brackets should cost you 350 as well. I had roughly 600 in my setup doing the wiring myself. Flat towed a 07 100 series for a few thousand miles with no problems.

At $1500 - $2500 why not find a nice used tandem car carrier trailer and tow it instead?

Not a bad plan, if you have room to store a large-ish trailer. I do not.

Doug

Honestly, for a cheap, dependable chase vehicle to tow behind a motorhome, just buy a cheap, stock 91-95 wrangler.

Honestly, for a cheap, dependable chase vehicle to tow behind a motorhome, just buy a cheap, stock 91-95 wrangler.

Good thought. I considered exactly that or buying an FJ40.

Issue for me is storing the other vehicle. I've already got three cars (in a three and a half car garage) and pay for a storage yard with the motorhome. I use a 40' spot there, which is the largest. Don't really want to pay to store it, nor keep it in front of my home. That's what led me towards towing the 100 series.

For lights, use the magnetic ones. I think they even make remote models now too. That way, you are not messing with the LC electronics at all.

I'm actually in agreement here. My mom had a '94 YJ some years back and it was a blast. Small, relatively lightweight (in stock form, at least), and alot of fun to drive....

Heeps are ok, you just have to have them in moderation. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom