Anthracite adventure park (northumberland) meeting, July 6 - BE THERE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eskimo

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rnrfab.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Northumberland County Planning Department
399 S. Fifth Street
Sunbury, PA 17801
570-988-4295

REGARDING: Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area Master Plan Public Meeting – July 6th

Northumberland County will hold its third public input session on the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA) Master Plan. The County commissioned this study to evaluate and provide recommendations for over 6,500 acres of County property proposed to become a formalized venue for motorized and non-motorized recreation activities.

The public meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 6, 2011 - 6:30 pm, at the Shamokin Area Junior Senior High School Auditorium, 2000 W. State Street, Coal Township, PA 17866.

A draft of the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area Master Plan is available for review at www.northumberlandco.org and Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area.

At this meeting the Consultants will present a draft of the recommendations developed for the proposed facility including:
 Facility and activity areas proposed within the AOAA
 Proposed plan for Phase I funding and development
 Proposed rules of use for the AOAA
 Providing for the safety and security of visitors to the AOAA
 Business plan components including the proposed fee structure to cover operating and maintenance expenses, and future capital development
 Projected economic impact to Northumberland County

At this meeting attendees will have the opportunity to comment on the draft recommendations presented in the master plan.

John Buerkle, Principal of Pashek Associates, said “Throughout the process the community, business leaders, and steering committee provided thoughtful input and raised legitimate concerns. That input was taken to heart. Collectively the committee, the county, and the consultant’s listened to it, reflected on it, and responded with a plan that responds to resident’s desires.” He further notes “implementing the master plan will formalize and secure public access to the land for current and future residents of the County, provide a safe venue for responsible motorized and non-motorized recreation, and provide the County with much needed economic development by spurring the creation of new businesses and jobs, increasing the tax base, and increasing spending in the local communities.” Economic development was the impetus for the project, and Bloomsburg University has agreed to study and report on the actual economic impact of the AOAA on the region as the plan is set in motion.”

Pat Mack, Director of the Northumberland County Planning Department, said “This has been a good process, a lot of issues have been raised, and we believe the plan reflects the appropriate direction for the future of the property. Formalizing the plan opens the opportunity to seek the state, federal, and private funding necessary to build the project. This provides an opportunity to legally permit recreation on this property for future generations, as well as much needed economic stimulus to the Lower Anthracite Region.”

This is the third of three public input sessions being held during the master planning process for the AOAA.

The master plan is being funded with grants from the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development. The plan is being prepared by Pashek Associates, a Landscape Architecture and Community Planning Firm located in Pittsburgh, in conjunction with Pennoni Associates of Mechanicsburg.

Many people will be at the 2011 CMCC at this time.

Perfect! Pile 'em into some tow rigs and go! What better way to show the ignoramuses who oppose the park the kind of business they're missing out on..

Shamokin really is NOT that far at all from Rausch.

This meeting went differently than the last 2 - there were NO locals voicing opposition this time - I'll count that as a win!

Looks like it's gonna be $25 1 day, $40 2 days, or $80 annual pass.

TENTATIVE opening of late 2012/early 2013.

Northumberland

Yeah, Eskimo is right about this are not being far from Rausch. For some of course it will be closer. It's not right off a major interstate, I80 and I81 like Paragon was and Rausch is, but it's not too far off I-80 and not too far off I-81. I'm fortunate to be able to drive my rig up there without trailering it's a little more than an hour for me. Looking forward to seeing what it's like. I'm sure it might affect Rausch a bit but I don't see it displacing Rausch at this point in time.

Hell, maybe Paragon will re-open sometime! Gary S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom