Head Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at buying a 94 LC with 160,000 miles. What is the best way to test the head gasket. How hard/easy is it to change the power steering hose and pump? Thanks for the help.

There is alot of info under the FAQ page on the head gasket issues.
Look for a posting called "How to check your head gasket" (i think). There is a video of some dude using a test tube looking aparataus to see if there is engine emisions bleeding back into the radiator.
Search and you will find! Easy job and parts can be found at autozone.

Whats wrong with the PS pump and hoses?

Its leaking PS fluid, I havn't seen the car yet to diagnose it, but he thinks its coming from the high pressure hose.

I had my PS pump go, and so I changed out my high-pressure side hose just because I was in there doing the job - if you want, I held onto my old hose for a spare, but if you find you need one & cash is an issue, PM me & I'm sure we can get you fixed if you need it.

The ~$40 Hydrocarbon sniffer kit from most auto parts stores is a quick & easy test - you can do it pulled off the side of the road out on a test drive & the results are pretty indisputable.

rent the block tester and fluid from autozone, easy, reliable, and free

Just remember, those kits will alert you to a bad HG, but not an impending bad HG. The consensus is that there is no reliable way to predict an impending failure.

Just remember, those kits will alert you to a bad HG, but not an impending bad HG. The consensus is that there is no reliable way to predict an impending failure.

x2. Still might be worth running, blown HGs aren't always obvious at first. Beyond that, check the water and oil for contamination. You're buying a 17 year old truck, plan on having some issues.:meh:

The most common issue with the PS is the low pressure hose. It takes about 15 minutes and $5 worth of generic hose to repair.

Thanks for the advise guys. I picke up the kit from AutoZone. I will be checking the car out on Sunday. I hope it all goes well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom